Wanted: basic handheld radio

Might chat with Tony regarding licensing. I know a bejillion folks don't license but technically the handheld on the ground needs a station license.

Might chat with Tony regarding licensing. I know a bejillion folks don't license but technically the handheld on the ground needs a station license.

So I guess my wife needs a license when she is on the ground with a radio and I am flying aerobatics? What kinda crap is that? I know lots of people that are iac national judges with radio's on the ground. None of them have licenses. I think this comment was kinda not called for.

So I guess my wife needs a license when she is on the ground with a radio and I am flying aerobatics? What kinda crap is that? I know lots of people that are iac national judges with radio's on the ground. None of them have licenses. I think this comment was kinda not called for.
I agree that lots of people break this law, but it is still the law. Wonder what the rule is for using FRS / GMRS at at low altitudes... might work for you, and be cheaper!

I agree that lots of people break this law, but it is still the law. Wonder what the rule is for using FRS / GMRS at at low altitudes... might work for you, and be cheaper!

GMRS need a license also.

FRS does not.

FMS and GMRS are not authorized for aeronautical use.

I think Sporty's gets the best reviews from Aviation Consumer. I have an Icom A6 which is OK.

If the FCC can prove that I wasn't sitting in the Cub talking to my student... Seriously, they are right about the "ground station" licensing, but in an emergency (ie. student pilot on solo having issues) I believe that there is a higher moral law.
It's completely silly that I can legally sit in the Cub on the ground and talk to my student in another aircraft on the radio, and not legally talk to him if I step out of it two feet and do the same.

Ryan

If the FCC can prove that I wasn't sitting in the Cub talking to my student... Seriously, they are right about the "ground station" licensing, but in an emergency (ie. student pilot on solo having issues) I believe that there is a higher moral law.
It's completely silly that I can legally sit in the Cub on the ground and talk to my student in another aircraft on the radio, and not legally talk to him if I step out of it two feet and do the same.

Ryan

We are talking about the FCC, you can't expect common sense and morals.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

There is a difference in breaking the law and breaking a regulation. Most of what the FCC and FAA put out are regulations.

One of the problems with forums (not just this one -- but on any subject) is a small cadre of people who are more interested in attempting to limit what others are doing by telling them it is illegal.

I have an iCom 6 and I'm not entirely satisfied with it. At max volume, it still comes up short in a noisy environment.

You are going to find the volume issue with most any non commercial grade handheld radio.

Adding a speaker mic or earbud will help.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

Frankly I'm interested in having a properly licensed airband radio, which is why I've been following this thread. Sorry about the illegal comment. I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to people who break easy to comply with rules based on principle - probably irrationally so. No disrespect intended.

Topic for a new post, but I suspect that pilots know the difference between laws and regulations, and that both are equally enforceable. Happy to take that offline or to a different thread.

Frankly I'm interested in having a properly licensed airband radio, which is why I've been following this thread. Sorry about the illegal comment. I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to people who break easy to comply with rules based on principle - probably irrationally so. No disrespect intended.

Topic for a new post, but I suspect that pilots know the difference between laws and regulations, and that both are equally enforceable. Happy to take that offline or to a different thread.

To start , you till need a FRN from the FCC. You can get one at the FCC ULS website , enter your information and one will be assigned to you.

You then have to apply for the station license you would be requesting.

You can find the descriptions here

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=about&id=ground_stations

The one affecting instructors looks to be "Aviation Support"

At a glance, it would look as if you would need to be assigned a frequency to use from a local frequency coordinator , and then you are licensed to operate on that frequency only at your licensed location .

I think the idea is that not every wacko can buy a radio and transmit on the aircraft band, so some licensing is required. The radio license rules came about before there was such a thing a civilian handheld transceiver and have not changed.

I highly doubt the FCC would care if a CFI communicates to his student from the airport. But really, don't you think it should be illegal for someone to be chattering on an aircraft radio from his home? And if so, just how would you make it illegal?

I think the idea is that not every wacko can buy a radio and transmit on the aircraft band
Every wacko can buy an aviation transceiver legally.
If the radio in question is used only to transmit aviation information over the local unicom frequency (such as is often done in a glider or parachute operation) on the airport is the activity not being conducted under the umbrella of the local unicom operators's license? In which case there perhaps maybe should be coordination with the unicom license holder.
Using a discrete frequency or operating away from an airport would obviusly be different. Using an air-to-air frequency would obviously be verboten.
Can anyone cite the specific reg on this satellite operation question?

To start , you till need a FRN from the FCC. You can get one at the FCC ULS website , enter your information and one will be assigned to you.

You then have to apply for the station license you would be requesting.

You can find the descriptions here

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=about&id=ground_stations

The one affecting instructors looks to be "Aviation Support"

At a glance, it would look as if you would need to be assigned a frequency to use from a local frequency coordinator , and then you are licensed to operate on that frequency only at your licensed location .
And the major problem with that is that if you have a student on solo, especially if the aircraft only has one radio, you want him to be on the CTAF frequency, and do NOT need to be on some separate frequency assigned by the FCC... If I REALLY think I need to talk to a student (and I try not to, but I've had one student who panicked and needed the help).

Ryan

And the major problem with that is that if you have a student on solo, especially if the aircraft only has one radio, you want him to be on the CTAF frequency, and do NOT need to be on some separate frequency assigned by the FCC... If I REALLY think I need to talk to a student (and I try not to, but I've had one student who panicked and needed the help).

Ryan

I do not disagree, just putting the info out that was asked.

In my small airport, you can see the runway from the unicom radio in the pilot lounge... :)

Back