Want to learn to potentially fly.

David Beam

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NEWGUY2020
Hi I am interested on potentially flying. I just want a private pilots license. I've read and watch some videos on the subject which have made me more interested. So anyways can someone direct me with some thoughts or ideas. I'm in WV and im near a flight school out the road. Unfortunately they arent answering my emails. Are there any pilots in here from WV who i could meet and talk to as well and get to know.

I'm not near WV, but I'm sure you'll hear from those who are. It would be useful to drive out to the local flight school...and maybe the second and third closest ones as well, to talk to them in person. Also check out the 'you can fly' link at www.aopa.org There is good info there, and from there you can sign up to receive a free copy of their 'You can Fly' publication. It used to be you could get a 6-month free subscription to their Flight Training magazine, but I don't know if that is still the case.

What is your budget (can you swing $10K give or take)? Can you pass the medical? What part of WV do you live in so others can give you better suggestions on alternate locations?

all of the above plus undoubtedly a local flight school will, for a few $, do a 'discovery flight' with you. this will be a 20-min flight in the plane you'll train in. it'll give you an idea of what to expect. i strongly encourage you to do that.

Hi I am interested on potentially flying. I just want a private pilots license. I've read and watch some videos on the subject which have made me more interested. So anyways can someone direct me with some thoughts or ideas. I'm in WV and im near a flight school out the road. Unfortunately they arent answering my emails. Are there any pilots in here from WV who i could meet and talk to as well and get to know.

If you can specify a location, I am sure there will be people here who will be very happy to show you around, or even take you flying.

Sometimes flight schools are run by people who are faster and more comfortable with ye olde telephone than they are with email. Call them.
Ask for a "Discovery Flight" which is a short introductory lesson with an instructor. The instructor should let you do most of the flying yourself (excepting the landing of course).
Ask if they will sell you a logbook. If they say no, see if you can buy one and bring it so the instructor can sign it at the end of the lesson.
Bring proof of citizenship if you are a U.S. citizen, because whoever undertakes your training will have to check this once at the beginning of the process, and some schools like to do it right away.
Bring sunglasses and a camera.
Ask the instructor a gazillion questions.
(Optional) Repeat with a different instructor, to get a sense of how they can be different. Pick your favorite. Put everything into the one logbook.

Come back here and let us know how it went!

P.S. I'm not from WV, but I did get "stranded" there for the months of March, April, May, and half of June this summer because of COVID. I hunkered down with a good friend in Morgantown. Was supposed to visit for a week or two... ended up being 101 days! Got to fly to a few nearby places during that stay -- beautiful but bumpy nearly all the time, or so it seemed. Also learned to make pepperoni rolls, hunt for ramps in the woods, and sing Country Roads. :). Hoping to go back sometime and explore some more.

Hi, David, what kind of flying are you interested in? Go-fast traveling machines, bush planes that can land on river banks and backcountry strips, aerobatics, sailplanes, antique/classics? All are different, with some overlap, but what you want may affect what instructor or flight school is best for you.

Go to the local airport, hang out and talk to people (local pilots, not just the flight school) to get a better sense of what the flying scene is all about.

I am not in WV, but in northern VA, close enough, went through the medical now preparing for the FAA written, through sporty's online course and some other books and YT videos. One thing with applying for Student Pilot Certificate is that even though you apply online you can't get it until a CFI recommends you, I am kinda stuck at I don't have a CFI that will train me so, waiting to see what to do.

I am not in WV, but in northern VA, close enough, went through the medical now preparing for the FAA written, through sporty's online course and some other books and YT videos. One thing with applying for Student Pilot Certificate is that even though you apply online you can't get it until a CFI recommends you, I am kinda stuck at I don't have a CFI that will train me so, waiting to see what to do.
I wouldn't take the written test yet. Just get a few lessons in before you think "this is for me".
Also, I didn't apply for a student pilot certificate until I solo'ed and my CFI did it with me, so don't worry about that either.

Back