Want to become an air show performer but hate rollercoasters?

Pilotl1234

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
L.
Hi Everyone!

I've always wanted to be an air show performer, but I hate roller coasters. I'm not sure why I don't like them, I just don't. Am I going to have a problem with aerobatics then? Any advice? Thank you so much!

Why do you want to be an airshow performer? It is easier safer and cheaper to take up heroin.

I like rollercoasters

I don't really like heights though and hate climbing on my roof to clean the gutters

I like aerobatics

some data points for you

Hi Everyone!

I've always wanted to be an air show performer, but I hate roller coasters. I'm not sure why I don't like them, I just don't. Am I going to have a problem with aerobatics then? Any advice? Thank you so much!

Are you a pilot currently?

If a roller coaster gets your goat, then the answer is yes, you will be petrified of aerobatics .

If a roller coaster gets your goat, then the answer is yes, you will be petrified of aerobatics .
Perhaps. The difference is that he'll be in command of the aircraft during aerobatics.

Many people that don't care for heights make good pilots- AOPA ran an article about fear of heights not correllating successfully becoming a pilot because the pilot is in control of the aircraft.

First, forget the rollercoaster analogy...lots of pilots hate roller coasters. I don't care for them. No control. It's the opposite of what's going on when flying aerobatics. There's little comparison between roller coasters and aerobatics. Rollercoasters are about adrenalin and the "thrill". I don't want to sound like a downer, but aerobatics is NOT about that.

Secondly, it sounds like you have yet to experience any aerobatics at all. You need to figure out if aerobatics is actually for you before thinking about airshow flying. You're putting the cart way before the horse. Many people like the idea of aerobatics, but end up not liking the realities of it. And if you end up a sucker for aerobatics, airshow flying is something you can keep in the back of your mind, but you should focus on gaining experience. Everything MUST be a natural progression. Most folks get into airshow flying because they end up in a position, as a result of the culmination of their experience, to get started with it. It also takes your own money. Don't think for a second that you'll make money flying airshows. You might get paid a little, but that's a whole lot different from making money when you consider the costs. All but about 2 pilots in the country do it as a self-supported "hobby", rather than a sustainable "career", money-wise.

Be prepared for the fact that airshow flying may not be for you. There are realities to anything at the advanced level that are not apparent until your experience has given you a perspective that doesn't exist right now.

Get involved in aerobatics, join the IAC, get good training, start out with something like a Decathlon or Pitts. Don't feel like it has to be the highest dollar, highest performing acro mount. It'll take you many years, a lot of hard work, training/critiquing/coaching, and some natural talent to get to the point of utilizing most of what a high-performance aerobatic airplane can deliver. There are only a handful of pilots in the country who are truly more capable than even the basic Pitts. You can go far with a single hole Pitts, which is the best bang for the buck aerobatic plane. Compete, seek advice, get to know as many folks in the acro community as you can. Never stop learning. Respect the risks. Whatever you do, make sure you're having fun. Competition aerobatics really does provide a good foundation for developing aerobatic skill, precision, and discipline that serves airshow pilots well. One step at a time. Focusing too hard on where you want to end up is a good way to get ahead of yourself before your skill and experience has caught up. And of course, that's a good way to kill yourself real quick.

Last edited:
Great advice there. I am firmly in the camp of likes the idea of aerobatics, the pain not so much, OK not at all...

First, forget the rollercoaster analogy...lots of pilots hate roller coasters. I don't care for them. No control. It's the opposite of what's going on when flying aerobatics. There's little comparison between roller coasters and aerobatics. Rollercoasters are about adrenalin and the "thrill". I don't want to sound like a downer, but aerobatics is NOT about that.

Secondly, it sounds like you have yet to experience any aerobatics at all. You need to figure out if aerobatics is actually for you before thinking about airshow flying. You're putting the cart way before the horse. Many people like the idea of aerobatics, but end up not liking the realities of it. And if you end up a sucker for aerobatics, airshow flying is something you can keep in the back of your mind, but you should focus on gaining experience. Everything MUST be a natural progression. Most folks get into airshow flying because they end up in a position, as a result of the culmination of their experience, to get started with it. It also takes your own money. Don't think for a second that you'll make money flying airshows. You might get paid a little, but that's a whole lot different from making money when you consider the costs. All but about 2 pilots in the country do it as a self-supported "hobby", rather than a sustainable "career", money-wise.

Be prepared for the fact that airshow flying may not be for you. There are realities to anything at the advanced level that are not apparent until your experience has given you a perspective that doesn't exist right now.

Get involved in aerobatics, join the IAC, get good training, start out with something like a Decathlon or Pitts. Don't feel like it has to be the highest dollar, highest performing acro mount. It'll take you many years, a lot of hard work, training/critiquing/coaching, and some natural talent to get to the point of utilizing most of what a high-performance aerobatic airplane can deliver. There are only a handful of pilots in the country who are truly more capable than even the basic Pitts. You can go far with a single hole Pitts, which is the best bang for the buck aerobatic plane. Compete, seek advice, get to know as many folks in the acro community as you can. Never stop learning. Respect the risks. Whatever you do, make sure you're having fun. Competition aerobatics really does provide a good foundation for developing aerobatic skill, precision, and discipline that serves airshow pilots well. One step at a time. Focusing too hard on where you want to end up is a good way to get ahead of yourself before your skill and experience has caught up. And of course, that's a good way to kill yourself real quick.

:yeahthat:

Not true!

I hate rollercoasters... They make me sick... I love aerobatics... It's all a mental thing... Eat 5 gingersnaps... Motion Sickness a thing of the past...

:yes:

Same here, hate roller coasters but did my first aerobatic lesson a couple weeks ago and loved every minute.

Coasters are supposed to scare you some. But the motion or upside down part never scared me, so I don't get the OP statement. The other people screaming their heads off is unsettling, but overall, it was all fun. :rollercoaster:

The only fear that enters my mind on roller coasters now, is if the toothless moron who put it together was stoned or good that day. Or good because he was stoned that day... whatever. :rolleyes:

Best thing to do is to take a few aerobatic lessons and see how you do.

What whifferdil said....
Also, I am friends with a guy who flies airshows in a Giles 202 and if you want to chat with him I can introduce you. Send me a pm.

But, really, just start with a first lesson from a good aerobatic teacher and build from there. If you tell us where you are we can recommend a CFI in the "area" also, I think you can find master CFI aerobatic references on the IAC website.

Try a spin training lesson, with and without hood, always good for pilots.

Last edited:
I've never seen any roller coasters at airshows...so you should probably be ok. Plus, most roller coasters are assembled and operated by dope smokers right? (or was that ferris wheels?) Aviation not so much. I hate heights and ladders but it never seemed to affect my flying.

Although....maybe you should get through your first roll or loop before you commit yourself and your money to the airshow industry:eek:)

I once had a student who when I asked what he wanted to do with his flying stated: "I want to be an air racer, specifically for Red Bull." Worthy goal, you do realize that isn't actually a job..more like a collateral duty..." I digress...

Mike-

Last edited:
Back