Wanna Learn to Fly, Am I too big?

B&TPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
B&TPilot
Hey everyone. I'm new here. I'm a 27yo guy aspiring to be a pilot. Its something I've always wanted to do.

My question is, I'm a big, massive guy. Big, tall, heavy, and solid. Because of my height and thickness, I weigh a lot more than most people guess. I'm wondering, is my size going to be a factor that prevents me from being able to get my pilot private license?

Just a little more info, my wife bought a gift certificate for my birthday for an introductory training flight. I sat in the left seat with the instructor on the right, and my wife even rode along in the back. We were in a 1981? Cessna 172. The instructor is a bigger guy as well, we were a little cramped in there but it wasn't unmanageable. I barely had enough room for full range of movement of the yoke but there was full range of movement. Seat belt got hooked with a little bit of effort, no slack at all though. I could reach all the controls. Basically, physically I fit in the airplane with the instructor as long as I don't get any bigger.

I thought I was good to go until I started reading about W&B and wondering if my size would put us out of the envolope. I understand thats something that gets checked as part of the private pilot checkride? The instructor hasn't even mentioned my weight as something he would be concerned about, so I'm wondering if its not a problem at all, or if he doesn't actually realize how big I really am. I just want to be safe, and I want to make sure I'm not going to start pouring money into something I'm not going to be able to finish because of my size.

I realize this is a conversation i should have with the instructor, but its embarassing, you know? I've lost weight in the past and gained back and lost again a few times and I've already started making a conscious effort to lose weight again since the introductory lesson just because its something I should do anyways and it'll give us more room and more comfort in the plane. But its not going to happen overnight and if I wait a year or 2 to lose weight first I'll probably have kids by then and doing this might be financially out of the question alltogether at that point.

Just looking for a ballpark, "I'm fine", "I'm borderline", or "I'm dangerously too big".

I'm 6'5" and I weigh 415lbs on the scale this afternoon... :(

As far as the W&B issues on your flight - it also matters how much fuel was onboard. That's also taken into account when doing the math. But some folks that know a little more about a 172 will add their nickel's worth. Also depends on the actual airplane too, and what equipment it may or may not have installed.

I'd say: If you can fit, and have full range of motion on the controls, and find a smaller CFI, and the plane has enough useful load to keep you in the W&B envelope, then you are fine. That combination really shouldn't be too hard to find, either. It's a pretty simple thing to ask about at the flight school. You just might have to resign yourself to never carrying a full load of fuel when you have somebody else on board.

edit: Oh, yeah, you'll also be expected to be able to check the fuel in the tanks. If it's a high-wing, that will involve climbing on either step-ladder or some footholds on the plane. That's something else to keep in mind to see if you can do that.

Last edited:
Quick Weight and balance on a 172N 2300lb useful, 1480 empty, which was my trainer. With you and a 200lb instructor, you should only carry 30 gallons (3 hours) of fuel, but are within the balance for my trainer.

Have your instructor check for your specific plane, but yes, it's doable. If youre comfortable, why not go for it.

I have quite a bit of time in 172s of the vintage and I'm 160 lbs. We would be within the W&B profile but would be unable to take on a passenger with full-ish fuel.

The only way we'd really be able to take on a passenger would be by limiting ourselves to 3 hours worth of fuel, adding 50 lbs of baggage, and making sure the passenger weighed no more than 120 lbs.

If you can pass the medical you could learn to fly. Just realize that you're basically two and a half FAA sized people which will limit your ability to take passengers in many trainers. There are aircraft that would work if you have the resources to buy one.

I suggest you have a conversation with the instructor about weight and balance. I seriously doubt that the flight you made with the instructor and your wife was legal. Most likely the instructor seriously misjudged the weights involved.

I don't want to discourage you. You can most certainly learn. But make sure that you have no medical issues before you invest too much money. I am teaching someone how to fly that weighs in at 300 lbs. We're using a Cherokee 180 which is a bit nose heavy so we have to place 120 lbs of salt in the baggage area on every flight.

All of my big friends, 6'5"+ are in Bonanzas. Not are that heavy though. The bigger Cessnas should work too.

yea i think your biggest issue will be getting and/or maintaining a medical certificate. But if you can physically fit and stay within the balance envelope of your trainer there really isn't much reason why you can't take lessons. Especially if flying is something you end up really liking, it will probably prove to be a great motivator to lose weight and get to a new level of health. I know it has for me.

Have the instructor show you how to use the W&B instructions in the 172 Pilots operating hand book.

If you had more than 415 pounds in the front seat of the 172 with out any weight in the back seat, (or baggage) you'd be out of limits forward.

If you carried full fuel, you were out of limits at max gross weight.

I'd suggest you try different aircraft, for fit, the 172 isn't known for its cabin size.

Most all the aircraft designed are built around the numbers of a 5'7" X 170 person, so you'll not find much comfort in any of the light aircraft.

one of my customers was 350-375 Lbs, he put a cheek in the righ seat and the other in the left and used the outter two rudder pedals and had a great time in a 172. you can too.

one of my customers was 350-375 Lbs, he put a cheek in the righ seat and the other in the left and used the outter two rudder pedals and had a great time in a 172. you can too.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That is hard to do dual, however. Might work fine for solo, but I wonder what the FAA would say about that.

Have you considered losing weight prior to the flight training thing? Not just to be able to fly, but for health reasons? I'd make this my first priority.

If you had more than 415 pounds in the front seat of the 172 with out any weight in the back seat, (or baggage) you'd be out of limits forward.
Not true. You can do 600 lbs in the front of a 172P with full fuel. You're right on the forward limit line but you are indeed inside it. Also can be done in a 172N. Limited to about 580 in the 172M. No way in hell can you do it in a 172S or 172R.

Tom-D said:

Yoke usage would be a little strange.

B&T,

I think you got some really good responses here. I say that if there's a will there's a way. Go for it!

Doc

yea i think your biggest issue will be getting and/or maintaining a medical certificate. But if you can physically fit and stay within the balance envelope of your trainer there really isn't much reason why you can't take lessons. Especially if flying is something you end up really liking, it will probably prove to be a great motivator to lose weight and get to a new level of health. I know it has for me.

For the Medical - know before you go.

Failing the exam can lock you out of options that you could pursue at some point if you hadn't failed. Things that could cause you big problems would be past use of medications you had taken to assist in weight loss or antidepressants.

You should be able to set up an appointment for a consultation about your ability to pass the FAA medical. But if you go in, start filling out the FAA form and a problem turns up, u b screwed.

At 415 pounds, the Sport Pilot option (which does not require an FAA medical, but does require that you never failed an FAA medical) would be pretty tough - you could fly solo in one like mine (for example), but you couldn't get an instructor in with you. But if you lost some weight at some point, you wouldn't want to be locked out of that option

edit: Oh - forgot - Welcom to POA. And good luck with your flying!!!

Last edited:
Wow lots of quick responses, thanks!

I don't want to make a huge post responding to everyone individually but I'll comment on some things that were mentioned :)

edit: Oh, yeah, you'll also be expected to be able to check the fuel in the tanks. If it's a high-wing, that will involve climbing on either step-ladder or some footholds on the plane. That's something else to keep in mind to see if you can do that.
The instructor made me do that as part of the pre-flight inspection for my intro flight. I used the footholds on the plane, but for doing this regularly I think a step ladder would be much safer :)

I seriously doubt that the flight you made with the instructor and your wife was legal. Most likely the instructor seriously misjudged the weights involved.
I was kinda wondering about that. you got me and the instructor I'd estimate at ~250 in the front seat, my wife ~160 in the back seat. No mention of weight/balance limitations pre-flight. I'm guessing he probably misjudged my weight (at least, I'm hoping it was that and not that he didn't care). Most people estimate my weight somewhere between 250 and 300. I carry my mass well I guess. We flew with 2/3 to 3/4 full fuel at takeoff.

Regarding medical: I don't know what would disqualify me other than my size or weight. I've never taken any medications in my life other than OTC painkillers. I don't have any diagnosed medical conditions at all. Strong heart 120/80 60bpm. I do need corrective lenses. I guess I just need to find out what sorts of things are required for the medical and make sure I know I would pass.

Regarding bigger planes: bigger = more $$$ but the club that is offering the training has other options. I could talk with the instructor next groundschool day about the option.

HAHA! I'll bet that was a sight! No seatbelt? One around each leg? haha I don't think that would work for instruction though :p

Have you considered losing weight prior to the flight training thing? Not just to be able to fly, but for health reasons? I'd make this my first priority.
Of course I have, I said as much in my post. But if I wait a year or 2 to get down to a reasonable weight, I might not have the time/money to do the training. Its a stuggle man people who've never been big just don't understand. In my adult life, I've went from 350 to 260 to 500 to 330 to 380 to 340 to now. Over the last month, I've realized I'm going way out of controll again and I've already taken steps to reverse course. I'm thinking about enrolling in a doctor monitored program called PSMF (protein sparing modified fast). Its meant to lose fat at the maximum rate possible without losing skeletal muscle mass. It doesn't require medication, only supplements and a strong will, and some $$$ depending on if health insurance covers any of it. Its something I've been thinking about doing for months before the idea of flying was even in the picture. I've already started exercising more and cutting back on crappy foods. So yeah, I need to lose weight no matter what. The question is, how much do I have to lose to legally be able to fly.

If you guys are going to tell me I need to be under 200lbs for example, I'd be pretty much screwed. I could probably get to 250 in 1.5 to 2 years if I got really motivated - I can usually lose weight at 10lbs per month when I'm trying. On the PSMF program, maybe in as little as a year. Its like, assuming I'm going to try to lose weight anyways, do I NEED to lose weight before taking lessons, or am I barely ok now and when I lose as I go, it'll only get better?

Thanks everyone you have all been great! Just to make sure I've got everything, here are the takeaways I'm seeing:

1) I need to go over weight and balance with the instructor, regardless how uncomfortable it makes me talking about my weight in person.
2) I can consider the option of learning in a larger aircraft.
3) I need to find out what sorts of things could disqualify me from passing a medical and makes sure I'm not going to fail before I go for an official appointment.

Your takeaways are accurate. You have the right attitude looking at this. The kind of attitude I like to see in student pilots.

Thanks everyone you have all been great! Just to make sure I've got everything, here are the takeaways I'm seeing:

1) I need to go over weight and balance with the instructor, regardless how uncomfortable it makes me talking about my weight in person.
3) I need to find out what sorts of things could disqualify me from passing a medical and makes sure I'm not going to fail before I go for an official appointment.

I think you are on the right course with taking your weigh-loss seriously. With that aside, think about this - these are your 1-3 items:

1) you'll always need to deal with W&B with your instructor. It's a required part of the training to know how to do this and to verify that all is OK. Get used to it. Also, when you fly on your own, after you get your certificate, you'll be in the situation of having to ask (or deduce) the weight of your passengers. Again, it's nothing personal, it's just physics.

2) larger aircraft doesn't necessarily mean a larger useful load. You'll have to look at the max gross weight minus the empty weight. What's left over is pretty much the amount of meat, fuel, and baggage you can carry. That delta doesn't necessarily get bigger with a bigger airplane. For training, you just need something that can carry you, a CFI, and probably 3 hours of fuel. For solo work, you can carry more fuel because you won't have the CFI. I think it's more important to be able to get full range of travel of the controls than to carry 6hrs of fuel vs 3hrs.

edit: there is a little bit more to this, when it comes to the balance portion, but that's something that you will need to get with an instructor about.

3) It is possible to post questions in the medical section of this board and get a real-live AME to help with your questions. If you really aren't on any medication, have never been on any psych medication, and don't have diabetes, or other medical daignoses, you are well on your way.

Last edited:
The question is, how much do I have to lose to legally be able to fly.

Likely none. Just check the weight / balance for whatever aircraft are available to you.

But, I ain't no doctor so I can't tell you for sure if you are likely to have an issue that will impact the FAA medcial. But not having taken medications helps a lot in getting a pass.

You could drop a note in the medical topics sub forum and likely get an educated guess.

when I lose as I go, it'll only get better?[/qupte]

Yup!

Wow lots of quick responses, thanks!

I don't want to make a huge post responding to everyone individually but I'll comment on some things that were mentioned :)

The instructor made me do that as part of the pre-flight inspection for my intro flight. I used the footholds on the plane, but for doing this regularly I think a step ladder would be much safer :)

I was kinda wondering about that. you got me and the instructor I'd estimate at ~250 in the front seat, my wife ~160 in the back seat. No mention of weight/balance limitations pre-flight. I'm guessing he probably misjudged my weight (at least, I'm hoping it was that and not that he didn't care). Most people estimate my weight somewhere between 250 and 300. I carry my mass well I guess. We flew with 2/3 to 3/4 full fuel at takeoff.

Regarding medical: I don't know what would disqualify me other than my size or weight. I've never taken any medications in my life other than OTC painkillers. I don't have any diagnosed medical conditions at all. Strong heart 120/80 60bpm. I do need corrective lenses. I guess I just need to find out what sorts of things are required for the medical and make sure I know I would pass.

Regarding bigger planes: bigger = more $$$ but the club that is offering the training has other options. I could talk with the instructor next groundschool day about the option.

HAHA! I'll bet that was a sight! No seatbelt? One around each leg? haha I don't think that would work for instruction though :p

Of course I have, I said as much in my post. But if I wait a year or 2 to get down to a reasonable weight, I might not have the time/money to do the training. Its a stuggle man people who've never been big just don't understand. In my adult life, I've went from 350 to 260 to 500 to 330 to 380 to 340 to now. Over the last month, I've realized I'm going way out of controll again and I've already taken steps to reverse course. I'm thinking about enrolling in a doctor monitored program called PSMF (protein sparing modified fast). Its meant to lose fat at the maximum rate possible without losing skeletal muscle mass. It doesn't require medication, only supplements and a strong will, and some $$$ depending on if health insurance covers any of it. Its something I've been thinking about doing for months before the idea of flying was even in the picture. I've already started exercising more and cutting back on crappy foods. So yeah, I need to lose weight no matter what. The question is, how much do I have to lose to legally be able to fly.

If you guys are going to tell me I need to be under 200lbs for example, I'd be pretty much screwed. I could probably get to 250 in 1.5 to 2 years if I got really motivated - I can usually lose weight at 10lbs per month when I'm trying. On the PSMF program, maybe in as little as a year. Its like, assuming I'm going to try to lose weight anyways, do I NEED to lose weight before taking lessons, or am I barely ok now and when I lose as I go, it'll only get better?

I had a good friend and business associate who was plagued with genetic obesity. I was around him alot so I saw how he ate, exercised and lived his life. He STRUGGLED with it and controlled his eating and exercise pretty darn well. It was a big fight for him.

I think that some people think that anyone that is large just canT push away from the table, but in the case of my friend it was just genetic and he did a great job with the cards he was dealt.

Best of luck. Find a solution and GO FLY!

Doc

as long as your tests etc are ok you'll be fine on getting a medical certificate now. my comment was just that down the road the excessive weight is going to lead to disqualifying conditions. high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, etc. but you know that. i say: fly now and start losing weight too.

Would a significant weight loss consititute a red flag? I know they asked those questions when I did my life insurance.

Our esteemed Dr. Bruce frequentlys says, "Health before flying". So losing the bad weight is always a good idea.

For your height, Just work toward a healthy range. at 6' 5", under 200 might not be the right zone. But if you can work off 200# from your existing, ya likely be looking pretty good there.

Here's an idea to help with the motivation and money. If you goal is to get the weight down in 24 months, set up a savings account that you name "FLYING LESSONS". For each month that you make your weight loss goal, drop $275 into the account. At the end of 24 months, this will be $6,600 which usualy enough to cover training if you are a good student and hook up with a good instructor who moves you along to complete in about 50-55 hrs.

But the interesting part of this plan is that you don't have to wait the full 24 months before starting. Shoot for 12 months to save up cash and drop some weight. When you have half your money saved, then you can "open the tap" slightly and just continue filling the bucket as you go.

Like the others, you gaining your pilot's license is totally doable. You just need to do a good "pre-flight" in many respects, not just before you go fly, so that we will get to see your posts about your progress and eventually your happy dance when the DPE blesses you with your license.

On the medical front... Be sure to consult with Dr. Bruce Chien in the "Medical Topics" Forum.

He is a true blessing to us pilots here (and other forums). He is one of the few that really understands all of the intricacies that is FAA medical and certification, and is really willing to assist us in both education and obtaining/keeping our certificates. If Dr.Bruce says that getting your certificate is doable, and provides you with information on what's needed to get it, then that's the right road map to getting it.

Welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing about your successes!

Last edited:
Not true. You can do 600 lbs in the front of a 172P with full fuel. You're right on the forward limit line but you are indeed inside it.

Put the instructor in there too. see where ya are.... as it read your right, but he won't be alone.

Also can be done in a 172N. Limited to about 580 in the 172M. No way in hell can you do it in a 172S or 172R.

Yoke usage would be a little strange.
[/I]

yoke usage isn't a big deal after about 5 minutes. ( one hand or the other)

Would a significant weight loss consititute a red flag? I know they asked those questions when I did my life insurance.
Likely if it happened over a very short period of time. But over the 18-24 months the OP mentioned, that's just doing it healthfully.

Just buy a Cherokee 235, never worry about weight & balance, and enjoy being setback 75 hours from almost soloing.

(Our school has an STC for Warriors that allows 900lbs useful load. We did put cases of oil in the baggage bay to help with balance.)

In any case DO NOT GIVE UP. You'll just have to call around to find a school that has a plane that can work. (I stupidly held back a l-o-n-g time because, among other reasons, I knew that it couldn't train in the typical 152....or 172)

Put the instructor in there too. see where ya are.... as it read your right, but he won't be alone.
Aware of that Tom but you made it sound like that was total weight. There are plenty of "smaller" instructors out there that help with this. I'm not exactly heavy (160) and there are smaller instructors yet. Tristan is probably about 110 lbs.

That said I've seen a lot of "heavy" instructors and I just don't get why they don't focus on getting their weight down, especially when they're career pilots.

Just buy a Cherokee 235, never worry about weight & balance, and enjoy being setback 75 hours from almost soloing.

Or a 182, we had a fellow come into our school about that sized and a 172 just wasn't gonna cut it for him. Our 182 would have worked but unforunatly our insurance doesn't cover primary instruction in it. It left us in the sad spot of pricing out the rider to cover this guy and it was just too much money.

That said the son of the owner of the plane is learning to fly in it and only lagging about an hour or so behind 172 driving students.

High wing airplanes are probably the best bet for ease of entry/exit. My BFF is over 6'-8", not heavy though, and he fits in my Baron fine but does have a bit of difficulty getting from the wing into the seat. If he carried 400lb+ of body mass I think it is doubtful that he could get in and worse yet, out of the plane without hurting himself and/or damaging the aircraft seat, door, wing or flap.

As mentioned before the weight in general isn't a problem as the pilot seat is typically close to the C.G. but you are going to be limited in fuel and load; especially in light singles.

A Cessna 182 sounds like the plane for you.

Don't worry man, there is a plane out there for you and an instructor out there as well.

415 + say 180 for the average instructor gives you roughly 600 pounds of weight, some 172s I've flown have a usable load of 849. that leaves 249 pounds for fuel which is just over 40 gallons. If your lessons are taking more than 40 gallons of fuel, they are way too long.

TL;DR you can EASILY load up in a 172 and fly your heart out. do a W+B of course to make sure you're in the envelope and weight limit but since you are an extremely tall guy I assume you will have your seat all the way back, and thankfully the cessna POH separates the front seat arm depending on where you sit so that helps you out!

TL;DR4real yes, you'll be fine the 172 has a tight cabin but I think you can manage. if you need a wider cabin look around for another plane, I'm just talking out of my a$$ now but I do believe the 182 has a wider cabin (and much higher useful load)

Wouldn't sand be better for the aircraft if a bag were to spill? Why help make corrosion? ;)

The salt bags are stronger and not loaded with water making them heavier than we need. They arent going to spill.

Wouldn't sand be better for the aircraft if a bag were to spill? Why help make corrosion? ;)

My primary CFI always kept a 50lb tube of sand handy in case it was necessary to add ballast in the tail of the PA28-161 that I used for training. Only time I needed it was on my checkride. The DPE weighed enough more than my CFI that I needed to move the CG back a little.

Oh and yeah, a 182 would do nicely.

As others have mentioned, some insurance companies won't allow primary training in them without a rider. That'd be the show-stopper, not the aircraft.

There may also be limitations on the seats themselves as far as crash-worthiness goes, but if you're careful getting in and out of them, they'd probably survive okay in anything other than a crash. They're probably coming off the floor and into the panel if you decelerate violently into something though.

It might also be a good idea to pre-position the seat as close as possible (easy for you at your height) since the seat rails aren't known for being super-strong and doing a lot of sliding fore/aft on them.

It's hard to get your weight off the seat since there's nothing strong enough to grab unless the aircraft has a newer metal panel. Ripping down the panel glareshield trying to slide forward isn't usually appreciated much. But the Cessna "save the seat track dance" can probably be done.

I'm certain there's aircraft you can train in!

For fun I used my little W&B calculator on our aircraft's W&B numbers.

You'd need to put some weight in the aft end of the baggage compartment but once the balance was right, there's still plenty of useful load for fuel.

Assuming 500 lbs in the front seats, 80 lbs in the rear seats, 80 lbs in the aft baggage area, and 60 gallons of fuel... It's still in the C-182P envelope and below max-gross. I threw the 80 lbs in the rear seat so you could drag along some gear with you but it works even better the further aft you get the counterweight. A few dumbbells in a bag and tie-downs and you're good to go.

My little quickie calc won't extrapolate past the 500 lb max up front in the book.

And now I'm wondering where Jesse's W&B Pro went on my iPhone. I bought it... But can't find it. Too many Apps! ;)

...we have to place 120 lbs of salt in the baggage area on every flight.
I'd never put bags of salt in an aluminum airplane. Powdered salt is bound to escape and collect in nooks and crevices causing corrosion over time. Water sand or lead is a far better choice.

I'd never put bags of salt in an aluminum airplane. Powdered salt is bound to escape and collect in nooks and crevices causing corrosion over time. Water sand or lead is a far better choice.
I faced this decision just last weekend. I had actually purchased two bags of solar salt for ballast, and, walking out of the store, realized that it might not be such a good idea to put salt in an aluminum airplane. I figure a case of water or oil makes a good ballast that won't leak or cause problems. Unfortunately, I didn't have that, but we had a bag of lead shot that we use for the helicopter that worked pretty well.

I've seen too many bags of salt ripped open at the home store to really feel comfortable with that except in extremis.

To be honest I never thought about it. I told the student to bring sand and he brought that. I'll find some better balast.

i find a case of water in the aft baggage and all of our junk as far back as possible gets Leah and I to a nice mid range CG which gives us a couple extra knots over the typical 172 forward edge of the envelope CG with just two people on board.

I'm 6'4" and 300, no problem in most airplanes.

Also, it's more often height that gives me problems than weight. I can't fly a 152 because my legs get into the yoke. I can't fly a Diamond DA20 because I'd have to cut the top 4" of my head off to be able to close the canopy.

But, I don't think I've ever found a 4-seater I couldn't get into, and I've flown several of the new-build LSA's, J-3 Cub, Citabria, etc. etc.

If you were OK in the 172, stick with the 172. When you get into bigger airplanes, they tend to be more expensive, more complex, and it'll take you that much longer (and more $$$) to solo and get your certificate.

Start losing weight, AND keep flying. It'll be great motivation. :yes:

No matter what you want out of this life, if you want it bad enough, you'll do it.

Stop worrying about the fat, it will come off on it's own as you get more and more serious about learning to fly. Pay attention to flying, ignore your weight.

Visualize yourself as a pilot instead of a big huge guy. What does a pilot look like? Lock that image in your brain and start studying.

John

Few tips to add...

The seat belt would probably not fit. I've tried with some bigger customers. Might have to invest in some seat belt extensions.

Just ran a quick W & B and you could fit with a small instructor (small meaning 150 or less but smaller is better) and roughly half tanks in a C-172S. Even this could be increased if weight is added to the baggage. I'm with everyone in saying that I just don't think you'd be comfortable in a 172 though. I'd try and find something with a larger cabin space. I bet there are some great options out there! In most good flight schools though, you'll be with someone you're compatible with not only with personality but also W&B/comfort issues. I think I'd still worry more about getting your medical. The rest of this stuff is easier to fix.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments and support!

Yeah physically me and the instructor fit in the airplane and it was tight but manageable.

Did a little research and found some more information: the exact aircraft I was in and would be taking my lessons in is a 1981 172P, N53491 I believe. Here is a pic:
N53491.JPG

Don't really know how to do a W&B yet but I looked online for a calculator and found a download here: http://www.okwg.cap.gov/index.php
(well, I do know how to do a W&B, but just don't know the weights and arms for the plane yet to calculate it.)

If I put 650 (Me + instructor) in the front seat and 30g of fuel, the W&B seems to work out with some amount of ballast in the back. (not presuming I'm doing it right at all, just playing around with the tool). Just for fun, I put my wife in the back seat (160) and depending on the fuel, we were some amount over max weight of 2550 and the Cg too far forward - assuming the tool I found is correct, which maybe it is maybe its not.

I'll talk with the instructor about it next time I meet with him (ground school next Wednesday) to get his opinion on it. At the very least to make sure I don't have to find a smaller instructor or different airplane.

Back