Walton heir dies in plane <uh> ultralight crash

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Walmart heir dies in ultralight crash

This is really sad. No matter what you think about Walmart, this guy seemed like a class act.

Wal-Mart Heir John Walton Dies in Crash

June 28, 8:21 AM (ET)

By MELISSA NELSON

(AP) Grand Teton National Park rangers and fire personnel examine the wreckage of an ultra light...
Full Image

Google sponsored links
Debt Consolidation - Let our quick and easy Debt Wizard help you lower your payments.
www.lowermybills.com

Free Debt Consolidation - We Are A Non-Profit Debt Company Receive A Free Quote Today!
www.DebtQuotes.org

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Wal-Mart heir John T. Walton, who threw his considerable financial support behind efforts to educate low-income children, has died in the crash of a homemade, experimental aircraft.

Walton, of Jackson, Wyo., crashed shortly after takeoff Monday from Jackson Hole Airport in Grand Teton National Park, the company said. The cause of the crash was not known and will be investigated, officials said. Walton was 58.

"I think all you can say is he was just a good man and today, you grieve," Jay Allen, Wal-Mart senior vice president of corporate affairs, told The Morning News of Springdale.

Walton, one of three sons of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton and a member of the company's board, was a major advocate of school vouchers, supporting efforts to create taxpayer-funded ways for students to attend private schools.

(AP) The engine of an ultra light aircraft that crashed Monday, June 27, 2005 sits near the rest of the...
Full Image

Walton founded the Children's Scholarship Fund in 1998 to provide low-income families with money to send their children to private schools. The foundation started with $67 million from the Walton Family Foundation and benefited more than 67,000 children.

In March, Forbes magazine listed John Walton as No. 11 on its list of the world's richest people with a net worth of $18.2 billion. He was tied with his brother Jim, one spot behind his brother Rob, and just ahead of his sister, Alice, and his mother, Helen.

"I certainly have nothing negative to say about the man at all. He was a prince," said Walton's former wife, Washington County Circuit Judge Mary Ann Gunn. "He loved to build things. He loved motorcycles. He built his own motorcycle."

The plane he died flying was an experimental ultralight aircraft with a small, gasoline-powered engine and wings wrapped in fabric similar to heavy-duty sail cloth, officials said.

Joan Anzelmo, a spokeswoman for Grand Teton National Park, said rangers will investigate the crash, as is done with any major accident in the park. She said officials also notified the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board.

"Because this is a homemade, non-registered, experimental aircraft, at least today they told us there was not going to an investigation," she said.

She said Walton, "well-known and much-loved in this valley, died doing something that he loved to do."

Jim Courtovich, who spent two years getting the Children's Scholarship Fund off the ground, said Walton was a devoted sponsor who "didn't just donate money, he donated time and energy." Walton would clear days at a time from his schedule to focus on the project, he said.

Courtovich also said that Walton was down to earth and, like his father, not above doing chores himself. One time, skiing in Jackson Hole, he said Walton "had to leave early because he had to caulk his chimney."

John Walton was a major stakeholder in Wal-Mart, with about 12 million shares of the company's stock. He also shared ownership of about 1.7 billion shares with his family in a joint partnership called Walton Enterprises LLC. Walton joined the board of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) in 1992.

John Walton was an Army veteran who served with the Green Berets as a medic during the Vietnam War. He was awarded the Silver Star for saving the lives of several members of his unit while under enemy fire, according to the company.

He attended the College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio, and served as a board member of the Walton Family Foundation, which played a key role in fundraising in the University of Arkansas' recent Campaign for the 21st Century. The Walton family made a $300 million gift to the campaign in 2002.

Besides his mother and siblings, Walton is survived by his wife, Christy, and son, Luke.

Bill,

I also noticed they said "plane" crash, then when you read the article, its clear its an ultralight. Chalk another one up to sensationalism form the media. Sigh.

Anthony said:
I also noticed they said "plane" crash, then when you read the article, its clear its an ultralight. Chalk another one up to sensationalism form the media. Sigh.
I disagree. An ultralight IS a plane. It uses fixed wings that "plane" through the air like a speedboat planes on the water. It has power, hence is not a glider. The wings are fixed, hence it is not a rotorcraft. We as a group are interested in and knowledgeable about the nuances of aviation, but for the layperson, the description is accurate.

Ken Ibold said:
I disagree. An ultralight IS a plane. It uses fixed wings that "plane" through the air like a speedboat planes on the water. It has power, hence is not a glider. The wings are fixed, hence it is not a rotorcraft. We as a group are interested in and knowledgeable about the nuances of aviation, but for the layperson, the description is accurate.

I disagree. Its a kite with a lawnmower engine. The term "plane" gives the connotation that it is a real, certified aircraft to the general public. Misleading IMHO. With your definition, aerodynamically, anything that flies is a "plane".

Excuse me - is the "definition of a plane" the real point here?

A humanitarian who enjoyed flying was killed in a crash of his flying machine.

Can we maybe keep our eyes on that?

This is not a request as a moderator - simply as a fellow pilot.

What was the ultralight? I can't tell from the pictures. There are certainly many different kinds. I would be interested to know, just from the standpoint that I find ultralights interesting, and would be curious to know what one of the wealthiest men on the planet was playing around with.

Jim G

One artical I read said He was a crop duster pilot in the 70's. This being said, He was once an accomplished pilot. Has anyone ever thought that maybe He lost his Medical and ultralights was the only way to scratch the itch. Just a thought.
God rest His soul.

Anthony said:
I disagree. Its a kite with a lawnmower engine. The term "plane" gives the connotation that it is a real, certified aircraft to the general public. Misleading IMHO. With your definition, aerodynamically, anything that flies is a "plane".

And
Anthony said:
Chalk another one up to sensationalism form the media. Sigh.

If we can't agree on what machine(s) to call airplanes or not, we can't expect the media to get it right or criticize them when they don't. Certainly can't chalk it up to sensationalism. (No argument the media sensationalize; I just don't think it's fair to charge it led to calling the machine an airplane.)

Hunter

Handsfield said:
And

If we can't agree on what machine(s) to call airplanes or not, we can't expect the media to get it right or criticize them when they don't. Certainly can't chalk it up to sensationalism. (No argument the media sensationalize; I just don't think it's fair to charge it led to calling the machine an airplane.)

Hunter

My basic point is they keep calling it a single engine airplane which brings up visions of Cessnas and Piper, "those little planes", not kites with motors. My other point is, knowing the dangers of ultralights, I don't know if I'd get in one, especially if I had all the philanthropic, financial and family responsibilities he did. Jeez guys. :(

It is very hard to define "little Plane"

For we know that the Wright Brothers flew a llttle plane. A Home Built. Yes the media tends to rant and rave about accidents with "little Planes".

I hope as pilots we can educate the media and the mainstream of our land and aviation.

John J

Back