Waiting and waiting!!

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
Hey everyone i am a little bummed out. I passed my check-ride Friday and still havent been able to take anyone up yet. Well i guess i could but the winds have been pretty gusty here at PTS, i thought it would probably not be a good idea to take people who aren't comfortable in a small airplane. I don't want them to think that it will always be so bumpy. The bad thing is that the days have been awesome hardly a cloud in the sky. But tommorow is my day i think, winds are supposed to be light and i don't have a thing to do after 12. So tommorow will be my first day flying with someone who has no clue whats goin on in the right seat.

Any ideas as to what to tell someone who might be a little nervous. I had the idea to let them walk with me when i do my pre-flight and explain how i make sure things aren't going to happend before i even start the plane. Any other ideas would be great!!

Congrats on the successful checkride, Rudy...

I looked back and found that in logbook #1, I took a fellow club member for a ride. I broke the ice with someone who wouldn't be scared. It was nearly two weeks after my checkride before my wife went with me.

You are correct to be concerned about flying conditions with a neophyte, though. It may not take much to put the scare of flying into someone. My wife was frightened on a ride long before, because her brother took her up once and made her weightless...a very bad thing. You will certainly want to keep a non-flyer's first trip with you uneventful. No aerobatics or stalls.

Jim

Rudy said:
Hey everyone i am a little bummed out. I passed my check-ride Friday and still havent been able to take anyone up yet. Well i guess i could but the winds have been pretty gusty here at PTS, i thought it would probably not be a good idea to take people who aren't comfortable in a small airplane. I don't want them to think that it will always be so bumpy. The bad thing is that the days have been awesome hardly a cloud in the sky. But tommorow is my day i think, winds are supposed to be light and i don't have a thing to do after 12. So tommorow will be my first day flying with someone who has no clue whats goin on in the right seat.

Any ideas as to what to tell someone who might be a little nervous. I had the idea to let them walk with me when i do my pre-flight and explain how i make sure things aren't going to happend before i even start the plane. Any other ideas would be great!!

My favorite is right after lift off give a subtle "uh oh", that always seems to be confidence inspiring.:dance:
Seriously, I do that and they look at me with wide eyes and I've got a big grin on my face and they chill out laugh and call me names.

bbchien said:
The hardest part of being a pilot is selecting when to NOT fly. :)

When doesn't seem to pose me any problems, What not to fly, now that has put me in a bind a few times;) . I'll get in nearly anything on a VFR day especially if someone offers me money to fly it. I should probably take a clue when people don't argue with my rate or my hazard pay premium and call their insurance man while I preflight...

Alright thanks for the advice. I like the stay calm because then they will. Thats a good point

bbchien said:
The hardest part of being a pilot is selecting when to NOT fly. :)

No truer words have ever been spoken. Pick an obscenely calm, clear morning when the dew is still on the grass. Tell him or her s/he's about to see the planet from God's point of view, hide a sic-sac in your shirt pocket (always at the ready!:D), and make no turns in excess of 20 degrees of bank. Tell 'em what you're going to do before you do it. And have a good time!

Rudy,

I didn't have a chance to say it before, but congratulations on passing your checkride! It is a major landmark in your life.

You've gotten lots of good advice already, so I have but a little to add. Anyone flying with you for the first time, and especially anyone who's nervous, is on brain overload when they first strap themselves in, just the way you were when you first started flying. Besides going through your briefing slowly, you can make yourself a passenger briefing booklet that highlights all the things you want to say. I have attached the one that I wrote and use in the 172. You can adapt it to your airplane or use it as a jumping off point if you like. I always tell my passengers that they can look through it before we take off. (This keeps them busy during the runup.)

When I was new at taking passengers, I made a mistake with my youngest daughter and took her on a VERY bumpy ride to Connecticut her first time up. I was so eager to show off my flying, and I so wanted to share it with her, that I didn't consider her needs very well. She had pain in her ear from some congestion, and she hated the turbulence. We forget how used to turbulence we become. Anyway, I decided to change my approach for the next passenger.

My middle daughter was afraid to fly with me. It wasn't until she saw that her two sisters were having fun (the youngest gave it another try, thank goodness) that she decided to give it a shot. She was very quiet during the preflight, and when she got into the plane she asked me if we were going to die......hmmmmmm.....and I said, Kate, we don't have to go flying, why don't we go out to lunch or go for a drive? But she said no, she wanted to go. So I told her we'd go up and just go around the pattern once, and she could tell me if she wanted to come down, and I would. We went around once, and I asked her, and she said we could continue. So I left the airport and went maybe 3 or 4 miles and asked her if she wanted me to turn around. She said to keep going. I went down to the beach and said, I can turn left here, or we can turn around.....

You get the idea. I gave her control of our return. She controlled the timing of the whole trip. It worked very well. We flew out maybe 10 or 15 miles before she said, that's enough, we can go back now. And we did. The next time she went flying with me, we went 100 miles and 3 states away for lunch!

I use zippered ziploc bags instead of Sic Sacs. They work well (I got a firsthand demonstration one day).

You were right to wait out the winds!

Rudy,

Sorry, my file was too large to upload. I'll email it to you.

Toby said:
Rudy,

Sorry, my file was too large to upload. I'll email it to you.
Alright sounds good, I will adapt it to my plane. when i get it!

Thanks alot

Back