WAC's

rundogdave

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Does anyone have an explanation as to why the FAA no longer prints certain WAC's. I was trying to order CF16 for the Pacific Northwest, but according to the person I spoke to at Sporty's, it is no longer printed. Planning a trip to Boise from central California later this summer. I hoped to use 2 WAC's, rather than 4 or 5 sectionals. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The days of paper charts are probably numbered in general. A large and constantly growing group of pilots are going electronic using tablets and other devices to replace paper. I know I switched a couple of years ago and it is nice. No more checking charts for expirations, just ensure the device is updated. No more fumbling around with a 3 feet chart in a tight cockpit, just a 10 inch flat device. I can carry every VFR and IFR chart known to man in the palm of my hand, and at the end of the day it doesn't cost any more.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why the FAA no longer prints certain WAC's. I was trying to order CF16 for the Pacific Northwest, but according to the person I spoke to at Sporty's, it is no longer printed. Planning a trip to Boise from central California later this summer. I hoped to use 2 WAC's, rather than 4 or 5 sectionals. Any thoughts? Thanks.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...ty_alerts/media/ChartingNotice_EVCG_15-02.pdf

No reason given or needed. It's their ball game.

Bob Gardner

Probably wasn't enough call for the wac charts.

The FAA gets ZERO revenue to produce charts. No matter how much you pay for them, they save money by not producing them.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just getting current after a roughly 20 year lay off. IPads, smart phones, and the inter web weren't around back then. I guess it's time to move in to this century.

To kinda go along with the FAA making no money on the charts. I know when I worked line service. The parts guy would cut the top portion off of charts and send them back to the FAA for a credit on charts they didn't sell. We're moving into the digital age where instead of having a WAC, you can have the whole country sectional on an iPad. Pretty much makes the WACs obsolete.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just getting current after a roughly 20 year lay off. IPads, smart phones, and the inter web weren't around back then. I guess it's time to move in to this century.

I came back after a break, bought an iPad and purchased a Foreflight subscription. I'm glad I know how to do things the old fashioned way, but still wonder how we lived without this stuff in the past!

There are plenty of ways to get free charts too, fltplan go is a very capable, free way to get charts and for $100 or so you can get the hardware to run it. It could pay for itself very quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chart Bundle is also a good place to get free up to date charts, in several different formats, to run on the various software out there.

I used Howie Keefes WACs of the whole country in Atlas form. That stayed in the plane. I still have an old copy. Can't get them anymore. Maybe old ones on ebay.

Back