Waco YMF-5C question

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
Anyone have experience doing acro in one of these? I have no interest in competing, but I get stress release from recreational acro in my 7GCBC. I would just like to know if loops, rolls, spins, etc are reasonable in one of these since I am convinced I need one desperately. More importantly my wife says I can.:D

Ernie

I would be on that TODAY! If they fly half as nice as they look they would be great. Pictures Please when you get it. Kinda partial to yellow myself.
Dave

If you are serious, I'd suggest you talk to Waco Classic directly. They list the G-limits as +5.2/-2.1 @ 2950 lbs, which appears to be just about at gross. This is the below the limits required for aircraft certificated in the standard acrobatic category. No aerobatic gross mentioned, or aerobatic capability at all. That being said, I'd think the Waco's aerobatic capabilitites would be at least that of a stock Stearman. Look up John Mohr for the kind of performance we're talking about. Just don't expect to be able to fly like John. :)

Eric

If you are serious, I'd suggest you talk to Waco Classic directly. They list the G-limits as +5.2/-2.1 @ 2950 lbs, which appears to be just about at gross. This is the below the limits required for aircraft certificated in the standard acrobatic category. No aerobatic gross mentioned, or aerobatic capability at all. That being said, I'd think the Waco's aerobatic capabilitites would be at least that of a stock Stearman. Look up John Mohr for the kind of performance we're talking about. Just don't expect to be able to fly like John. :)

Eric

The joy of building an airplane using the original 1935 type certificate. They are also legal for IFR. The ultimate cool factor would be coming out of the clouds on an ILS into a busy field.:yikes:

The folks at Rare have also been helpful, but i was hoping to hear from an independent voice that had done acro in one.

I am quite serious, but selling my Mooney is a prerequisite

WHAT? Forget acro, get the airplane anyway. A Waco??? What a sweet rig! Fits as many as your mooney (3)!!:D:D

... Pictures Please when you get it. Kinda partial to yellow myself.
Dave

Sorry red it is. I have had a little difficulty (User error related), getting the pictures of my incredibly fun journey home from OR but I finally have them on Facebook. I will add comments to the pictures (actually I have added them, just that Facebook didn't get them:mad2:) I have one great picture that I can't seem to get up of the my wonderful new machine sitting in its proper place - grass, that I will add, but for now the public page on Facebook called "The Red Waco" is up with major assistance from my 13 y/o granddaughter:

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112605565422386

PS it may be awhile before any larosa's.

Sorry red it is. I have had a little difficulty (User error related), getting the pictures of my incredibly fun journey home from OR but I finally have them on Facebook. I will add comments to the pictures (actually I have added them, just that Facebook didn't get them:mad2:) I have one great picture that I can't seem to get up of the my wonderful new machine sitting in its proper place - grass, that I will add, but for now the public page on Facebook called "The Red Waco" is up with major assistance from my 13 y/o granddaughter:

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112605565422386

PS it may be awhile before any larosa's.
Wow! What a beautiful airplane! How cool! :yes: Congrats on your new acquisition! :)

Wow! What a beautiful airplane! How cool! :yes: Congrats on your new acquisition! :)

Thank you! It is so incredible to fly. I have only had about .4 by myself and part of that was a repositioning from the shop to my hangar. Mostly I am giving rides to share the experience.

Those are great pictures that got posted - thanks to your granddaughter :yesnod:

It looks like you might have been pretty cold for some of the trip w/ all that snow on the mountains.

What a wonderful thing - to have a "new" Waco! My husband will be jealous.....

I get the ride just after Diana! :smile:

I bet the sight-picture on landing is a LOT different than the Citabria. :)

The hardest part of my checkout was learning to deal with the non-steerable tailwheel, second hardest was dealing with the lack of forward visibility. I am probably a bigamist -- I love the Waco, but I love the Citabria, too. I have referred to my Citabria in the past as "an almost taildragger." Little did I know how close to the truth that was. On the other hand it doesn't take much to get a bounce/balloon on a wheel landing in the Citabria, but when you plant the Waco, the wheels are glued on. The steering thing has me doing wheel landings. When I get the opportunity to work on the approaches by myself I will work on 3 pts.

Can I have a ride? :redface: :)[/QUOTE said:
If you get close, M54 has a grass strip. Let me know!

Last edited:
Those are great pictures that got posted - thanks to your granddaughter :yesnod:

It looks like you might have been pretty cold for some of the trip w/ all that snow on the mountains.

What a wonderful thing - to have a "new" Waco! My husband will be jealous.....

I get the ride just after Diana! :smile:

Yep, I was cold. As cold as I have been in a long time. My friend riding in the front cockpit couldn't understand -- until he taxied it from the back on a cool morning in southern CA. It is noticeably breezier in the back. I am told that if you remove the front windshield and put the front cockpit cover on, the back gets a lot less turbulent.

The front seat holds two:D Ya'll come!

Ernie

Congratulations. I'm sure you have a BIIIIIIIIG smile on your face every time you climb into the cockpit.

A GLASS Panel :yikes: My gracious. Mind Boggling... I liked the last line about throwing your ice encrusted goggles on the counter and say Filler UP! what a hoot

Back