Waco flying characteristics?

Wagondriver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
375Taylor
I may get a chance to fly a Waco, how do they fly?

I flew a 1940 UPF-7 once and of the ~20 different makes/models of fixed wing aircraft I've flown it was the only one that really threw me. The roll/yaw coupling was really strange and taxiing was almost as challenging as hovering a helicopter. It gave me a new appreciation for those that fly these old machines.

It was nothing like the Cub, Luscombe, or Citabria that I had flown (my only tailwheels).

How much tailwheel do you have and have you ever flown any other biplanes?

It’s not like flying a Citabria or even a Stearman.

The YMF-5 is not my favorite airplane, but it’s ok for getting the open cockpit experience. I’ve often wondered why they chose that particular model to build when they started making the new ones. Waco made many fine models that are better. My UBF-2 handles and performs much better than the new build YMF-5s. Personally, I’m much happier flying the Stearman than the Waco.

The YMF-5 has a few quirks. For one, most pilots wheel land it. I’ve been told that the folks at Waco tell new owners not to 3-point it. Apparently it gets a little squirrelly if you get slow.

On the ground taxiing, it handles fine, although it has a tail wheel steering lock. It doesn’t lock straight ahead, but instead alternates between steerable and free swivel. If you are going to make a tight turn, you have to remember to unlock it. It’s very easy to overstress it, a common problem with the museum aircraft.

Control stick is awkwardly short, so your hand is down in your crotch. Instrument panel overly complicated for a biplane. Seat height is adjustable, but very fine line between being able to see forward and having your forehead painfully blasted by the airflow.

Fuel system is odd. Two tanks, but instead of a normal fuel selector, each tank has a push/pull valve under the instrument panel to open and close. Best to leave both open. People have run a tank dry and not been able to get the other tank open in time.

Approach speed is fast. 80 mph. Even at that high speed, it will still sink on you in the flare, Watch the sink rate and be ready to add a burst of power if needed. Other thing to watch is over controlling it after touchdown.

I will admit to being spoiled and consequently jaded. If the YMF-5 was the only biplane I’d ever flown, I’d probably learn it’s quirks and be happy flying it. But I have flown better.

How much tailwheel do you have and have you ever flown any other biplanes?

No biplane time. Just under 600 hrs tailwheel, 200 of those in a homebuilt, most in a C180, a few in a PA20/22, and about 20 in a Husky.

The YMF-5 has a few quirks. For one, most pilots wheel land it. I’ve been told that the folks at Waco tell new owners not to 3-point it. Apparently it gets a little squirrelly if you get slow.

I’ve heard this before and I don’t quite get it. Don’t you have to transition to “slow 3 point” eventually even with a wheel landing? I don’t have much tail wheel time, so I’m sure I’m missing something.

This sounds terrifying to me. But then again, I admit to being a bit of a baby.

Don’t you have to transition to “slow 3 point” eventually even with a wheel landing?
Yes, but you can do it at a much slower speed than landing speed, after it's already down and (hopefully) rolling straight.

Back