Waco experts ??

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
The current issue of AOPA Pilot has a picture of an open Waco wing. The bottom of the wing is covered with plywood. Is the top covered with plywood as well? If not how is the fabric fastened to the ribs with the bottom of the wing covered with plywood??

Curious minds want to know---thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

Dunno about yea olde Waco, but you can stitch fabric directly to the top or bottom capstrips separately instead of the going around both capstrips.

Edit: it's even on youtube http://youtu.be/Ur-kIqp5pQY

Last edited:
Would depend on which Waco model you are talking about, I dont get AOPA, so I didnt see it.

Dunno about yea olde Waco, but you can stitch fabric directly to the top or bottom capstrips separately instead of the going around both capstrips.

There didn't seem to be a way to do that since the ribs were constructed with a plywood web with the lightening holes too far apart to allow rib stitching through the holes. My understanding is that these are old original Wacos.

There didn't seem to be a way to do that since the ribs were constructed with a plywood web with the lightening holes too far apart to allow rib stitching through the holes. My understanding is that these are old original Wacos.

The way most are done is pretty simple, the curved needle goes down thru the fabric at the place where you want the stitch, and comes up thru a hole 6-8 inches away from the other side of rib. Then it goes back down thru the hole it came out of, and up thru the fabric at the place where opposite from the place where it went down thru to start the stitch.

Figure 2-11 page 2-56 in the AC 43,13-1b has pictures

Last edited:
I think I have answered my own question. The wing shown in the picture must be a lower wing and the portion in the foreground must be the wing walk which will be plywood covered. In the background you can see regular truss ribs which can easily be rib stitched. This is on page 63 of the AOPA magazine.

Paul
Salome, AZ

Back