w00t Snow is coming, and hard

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Well, hard for Albuquerque. I just heard that we will be looking at over a foot of snow coming in today. This oughta be fun!!

[trans]
Malmoa per Albuquerque. Mi aŭdita ni estos ĉe pli ol unu piedo de neĝo hodiaŭ. Ĉi tiu estos amuzo!!

Yeah it is great when it snows like that there. I remember back in 1986 we had one of those types of snow with over 4 feet in the pass. I40 was shut down as well as 25. The tv crews were filming accidents all over the place. I was trying to drive in from Santa Rosa and it was getting crazy. I ended up going south and then north into Albuquerque in my little Nissan. Man the town was going nuts. It was great! I don't think everything got back to normal for at least a week.

this is nuts. we are staring at a *chance* of 1 or 2 inches on thursday. maybe. Albuqurque frickin new mexico gets a white christmas but not iowa and minnesota?

Wish it would snow here...but during the week so I don't have to come to work. I have plenty of stuff to do around the house. SNOW DANG IT!!!!!

Nick! How're you gonna hold out when the bullets fly and the cops can't get there due to the snow?

Oh. Maybe they can't do a drive by shooting, either...

How do they handle snow plowing and such? Is it like down south where they treat any snow as if it was a hurricane?

I was working in Nashville when the whole office staff left at 2 PM because it started snowing.

Sheesh. It was 80 degrees here yesterday.. upper 70's the few days before. This IS December....right? Guess it's better in the long run though. Have you ever seen Texans try to drive in snow? Ain't pretty!

As far as snow goes. I've NEVER seen a White Christmas. Now that I think about it, that's sad...:(

this is nuts. we are staring at a *chance* of 1 or 2 inches on thursday. maybe. Albuqurque frickin new mexico gets a white christmas but not iowa and minnesota?

Yes. This year has been weird. We got more rain than I can ever remember, and this is definitely the coldest winter I can remember. Its a fun change, I guess :D

-----
Jes. Ĉi tiu estis stranga. Ni havis pli pluvon ol mi memori, kaj ol estas la plej malvarma vintro mi memis.

Nick,

por favor, what is with the new screen name?

I am immersing myself into a language, I've found it is the best way to learn new languages. It is Esperanto.

-----
Mi estas merganta mi en lingvo; il estas la plej bone tekniko lerni novo lingvon. Il estas Esperanto.

How do they handle snow plowing and such? Is it like down south where they treat any snow as if it was a hurricane?

Its interesting. I don't know that we have any city run snow plows, and I've seen the city grind to a halt before for less snow than this (it still hasn't started, so it may not even come).

-----
Il estas interesa. Mi ne scii se ni havas urbo neĝo plugilon, kaj mi vidis la urbo malrapidis per malpli neĝo.

As far as snow goes. I've NEVER seen a White Christmas. Now that I think about it, that's sad...:(

We actually had a white Christmas here in NE Fla in 1989! It started with a freezing rain on friday night the 23rd that turned into a real snowfall by saturday morning. It was dang cold that weekend!

It is not so nuts for Iowa, according to this map from the Weather Channel. Minnesota is a different story.

nick said:
Esperanto
OK, say you are now fluent in Esperanto. Who ya gonna talk to?

-Skip

Attachments

• white xmas.jpg
    white xmas.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 15
We haven't had much for snow up here....just a dusting. It's been in the 50s a lot, and I even played a couple of rounds of golf last week. I'm not complaining. It would be nice if we had a blizzard sometime in the next two weeks, but then, it could be in the 50s again. I hate the cold!

Ha, snow a foot here today, it's gone by noon tomorrow. Snow a foot there, and it's still there a couple of months later. No white Christmas here unless it snows on Christmas day.:no:

Ha, snow a foot here today, it's gone by noon tomorrow. Snow a foot there, and it's still there a couple of months later. No white Christmas here unless it snows on Christmas day.:no:

Very true, Don.

Holy crap, is it snowing outside. This storm rivals some of the storms we got in New Hampshire (except it only recently started sticking.

Current Conditions for Albuquerque International Sunport
blank.gif
.promoLinkA,.promoLinkA:link,.promoLinkA:active,.promoLinkA:visited{font-size:11px;color:#ffffff;text-decoration:none;}NEW: Faster Radar Maps & No Ads - Click Here
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
42.gif
30°FHeavy SnowFeels Like
24°F
UV Index:0 LowDew Point:28°FHumidity:91%Visibility:0.3 milesPressure:30.26 inches and risingWind:From the East Northeast at 6 mph

Yeah its snowin in ABQ

For those of you that are missing out on the snow, here's a picture:

My dad just got into an accident, was hit by some moron that can't drive in the snow, so I gotta go help him out. Lets hope I still have some snow driving skills.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 28
Very true, Don.

Holy crap, is it snowing outside. This storm rivals some of the storms we got in New Hampshire (except it only recently started sticking.

Well, Nick; if the sun shines again tomorrow I'll be out on the lawn with the leaf mulcher to get the last remains of what I didn't get, earlier. I'm 30sm N of Portland(ME). Lawns around here are still green(though fading). Crazy!

HR(and the Mall[town park] in Brunswick, which is usually flooded and frozen for skating at this time, is a similar grassy green)

HR

The real killer is for New Englanders to watch network television news on the occasions when Nashville, et cetera, gets "scattered snow." Highway paralysis!.

HR

This morning they were saying it was supposed to be here in the late afternoon but the stars are still out tonight. We seem to get a lot of false alarms here in Denver... and sometimes we get dumped on. We'll see.

Snow. Bah! Humbug! I'll stick with rain. I don't have to shovel that stuff. :D

The back end of the low was supposed to be east of Albuquerque, but it appears that the wind slowed the system down. We have another day of snow ahead of us. Very exciting.

The back end of the low was supposed to be east of Albuquerque, but it appears that the wind slowed the system down. We have another day of snow ahead of us. Very exciting.

Has Piper done that thing where he goes out and romps in it, looks at you as if to say, "Wheee this stuff is fun!!!! What is it?!!!!"

That is, until it gets so high that he has to hop from hole to hole to get any business done and there ain't gonna be no leg lifting.

Our Denver (all of Colorado area actually) winter storm warning has been upgraded to a Blizzard warning thru 5 pm Thursday in preparation for a major upslope storm (where the front moves from east to west and stalls up against the mountains and yields a big dump). Predicting 16-24" of snow thru tomorrow.

Has Piper done that thing where he goes out and romps in it, looks at you as if to say, "Wheee this stuff is fun!!!! What is it?!!!!"

That is, until it gets so high that he has to hop from hole to hole to get any business done and there ain't gonna be no leg lifting.

lol - yeah, I took him out in the snow yesterday to screw around. The snow only accumulated about 6 inches by my house, but at my parent's house its much more. The roads are really icy and both I-25 and I-40 are shut down. Later today, when conditions get better, I'll take him up there to romp around.

He really loves it though.

LOL... Then there's the exact opposite. In 1998 we went to visit relatives in New Mexico. Our Wisconsin dog got rather confused when we went to White Sands and he got thirsty and tried to eat the "snow." :rofl:

Back