W&B load table

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Forgive me if this is something I learned and have since forgotten... If so, call me a bonehead...

I have a really interesting CG table which features gross wt (lbs) listed vertically down the left side and % MAC across the top.

To read the table, I find my gross wt then extend across to the right to the column which shows the % of MAC. Where the two intersect will be my moment/1000.

If anyone is familiar with this I'll bet it's the military pilots since this table is T.O. No. 01-50DB-5.

Tell me how to make use of this table, please.

(I don't think I could import a copy of the table from MSWord and I don't have a scanner.)

Last edited:
You can upload MS word files here so long as they aren't too big.

This table is specific to a particular airplane (maybe a B-50?) so it isn't much use to you. %MAC is the percentage of mean aerodynamic chord of the wing, which is another way of stating cg location besides the "arm" method we GA folks use. It tells you where along the wing chord line the cg is. Thus, if the MAC is, say 10 feet, 25% MAC means the cg is 2.5 feet back from the leading edge. Obviously, if you know where the leading edge is, you know where the cg is, and when combining that with weight, you get moment.

And you're not a bonehead unless you took college aerodynamics, got your flight training in the military, or hold an ATP, as you won't run into MAC in normal GA flight training below the ATP level.

Thanks, Ron. Actually, this table is pertinent to the Stinson L-5 which I 1/2 own.

Looking at the CG Table, which I noted above, and the accompanying Airplane Diagram, which details each station in inches aft of reference datum, I can see what %MAC I will expect. That would allow me to quickly determine if I have a positive or negative pitching moment and to what degree I will be stable about the lateral axis--and if I'll be able to trim it out.

A side note: this is a much clearer presentation of the required information than the ..."here's how to determine CG and it's really important that you stay w/i the CG envelope" they teach in the civilian ground schools. The info I have on the L-5 actually tells the pilot how much trim to add/subtract for a given load and fld conditions. I like it.

Back