Vyvanse perscription but NOT ADD diagnosed?

kylekae

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kylekae
I got a first class medical about a year and a half when I was 18. About a few months later I got went to a doctor and said I was having trouble studying and received a vyvanse prescription, but i was never actually diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. I got the script filled 2 times back in 2014 before I realized that I can't have a vyvanse prescription. My question is will I have a problem getting my first class medical again even though I was never diagnosed and only filled the script 2 times two years ago?

If the FAA thinks there is a chance you might have ADHD, then it sucks to be you.

And, if they find you have taken medication typically used for ADHD, they will probably make that assumption.

You need to find a really good AME who handles this sort of thing - not your run of the mill local guy.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that specific medicine, but if it is like the other common ADHD meds, from what Doc Bruce has said, they have to give you the diagnosis in the computer in order to prescribe it. So you may very well have the diagnosis without realizing it. You need to talk to Doc Bruce before you renew your medical.

I'm not familiar with that specific medicine, but if it is like the other common ADHD meds, from what Doc Bruce has said, they have to give you the diagnosis in the computer in order to prescribe it. So you may very well have the diagnosis without realizing it. You need to talk to Doc Bruce before you renew your medical.

Going off of this, the OP might want to obtain a copy of the chat from the prescribing doc to see what was entered there and into the database system.

The only other acceptable and ("insurance paid"- HCFA) use is in terminal cancer care, when you have 600mgms of morphine aboard and you get too sleepy. It IS recognized and dispensed and reimbursed for THAT indication.

Unfortunately, that diagnosis is ALSO grounding.

This is from The great Doctor himself. Talking about the only other legal use besides ADD/ ADHD. Vyvanse is just a slower released Adderall.

How do I contact this doc Bruce, I'm new to the forum. Also I will head to the doctor that percribed me tomorrow. Thanks

Man just off the forum posts alone Dr. Bruce must make a killing! Shoulda been a doctor....

Man just off the forum posts alone Dr. Bruce must make a killing! Shoulda been a doctor....

No one does more to promote aviation, and help pilots with medical issues, than Bruce. It's a passion and, if ever you meet him (or even better, if ever you need him), you'll understand.

And be assured, he ain't doin' it for the money.

No one does more to promote aviation, and help pilots with medical issues, than Bruce. It's a passion and, if ever you meet him (or even better, if ever you need him), you'll understand.

:yeahthat:

Hey I used a Legacy POA smilie...

At Gaston's this past time, he shared with me the "out of office" advocacy work he does on behalf of the entire pilot community. Much of it is in and around the Beltway. And likely very little of that if any is compensated time/effort.

So a passion for his craft and profession is extremely accurate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back