Vuity for Presbyopia

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
So I’m starting to get marginal (20/40 ish)on my near vision. Anyone heard of these eye drops being approved by the FAA yet?

Just take the damn "must carry glasses for near vision" restriction and stuff a bunch of cheap readers in your plane/flight bag.

From the FAA:
Miotics such as pilocarpine cause pupillary constriction and could conceivably interfere with night vision. Although the FAA no longer routinely prohibits pilots who use such medications from flying at night, it may be worthwhile for the Examiner to discuss this aspect of the use of miotics with applicants. If considerable disturbance in night vision is documented, the FAA may limit the medical certificate NOT VALID FOR NIGHT FLYING.

Can't imagine anything "curing" presbyopia save glasses or surgery. Just part and parcel of you getting old.
I think it works for the same reason smaller aperture creates more depth of focus in cameras. It constricts your pupils.

When I finally had surgery to replace my lenses with synthetic lenses, I was angry I had not done it ten years earlier. I could actually see again!

I was flying with horrible vision and glasses didn't really help much. When my night vision became so bad that I was blinded by any oncoming light, I was forced to seek a medical solution. My eye Doctor flat out told me corrective lenses would not fix the degraded condition of my eyes.

Age has been kicking my butt lately and who knows what next year's medical challenge will be...

Just take the damn "must carry glasses for near vision" restriction and stuff a bunch of cheap readers in your plane/flight bag.

From the FAA:
Miotics such as pilocarpine cause pupillary constriction and could conceivably interfere with night vision. Although the FAA no longer routinely prohibits pilots who use such medications from flying at night, it may be worthwhile for the Examiner to discuss this aspect of the use of miotics with applicants. If considerable disturbance in night vision is documented, the FAA may limit the medical certificate NOT VALID FOR NIGHT FLYING.

That’s what’ll probably end up doing this year. Wasn’t a big fan of the contacts I tried out yesterday so I’ll most likely stick with glasses. Only wanted contacts really because glasses and helmet / NVGs don’t mix well but I guess I’ll have to make do.

When I finally had surgery to replace my lenses with synthetic lenses, I was angry I had not done it ten years earlier. I could actually see again!

I was flying with horrible vision and glasses didn't really help much. When my night vision became so bad that I was blinded by any oncoming light, I was forced to seek a medical solution. My eye Doctor flat out told me corrective lenses would not fix the degraded condition of my eyes.

Age has been kicking my butt lately and who knows what next year's medical challenge will be...

Yeah, getting old sucks. I knew presbyopia was coming. Doc said he was surprised my vision was still this good for my age.

It's very disconcerting being the same age as old people.

I tell my Dad that all the time! He doesn't see the humor in it ...

Came here for this exact question about Vuity. Last fall I took the damn "must carry glasses for near vision" restriction, but I haven't really had any issues while flying. Of course I'm now doing a lot more "reading" in flight as I'm an IFR student. I bought reading glasses, but they affect my outside the airplane vision. Can't find half glasses that would work for the kneepad stuff but still let me eyeball the gauges directly. My concern is whether this will quickly become a more noticeable problem.

Can't find half glasses that would work for the kneepad stuff but still let me eyeball the gauges directly. My concern is whether this will quickly become a more noticeable problem.

You could do like little Chuckie:

proxy-image

Don't. I talked to my opthamalogist about it. It's a 30 yr old medication, originally used for glaucoma. The pharma is bringing it back for the pure purpose of profit. Not worth it. She knows I fly, and she thinks it's definite no-no. Plus, if you read the not-so-fine-print on the website:

Use caution when driving at night or performing hazardous activities in poor lighting.
Temporary problems when changing focus between near and distant objects may occur. Do not drive or use machinery if vision is not clear.

1) You're getting older, which is better than the alternative
2) You're dealing with a problem with seeing up close and distance - which is better than the alternative of not seeing at all.

I gave up on readers and normal bifocals. I use HD progressives in my "indoor reading and using the computer" glasses as well as a pair of sunglasses for flying and driving.

Its not bad to use glasses for up close work, you're going to have to do it, so just put them on and enjoy life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back