VREF SCHMEE-REF

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
First Time Buyer Jitters here...

How much stock should I put in the VREF value since I don't value some of the stuff on the equipment list as much as VREF does, and I know I'm going to have to install ADSB. Also the airplane has had 2 Gear-up incidents back 30 years ago, and has flown very little in the years following the overhaul (which VREF doesn't seem to care about). The engine was overhauled in 2011, and has under 400 hrs now. Is that even enough use to get an effective break-in? Overall the airplane looks pretty nice (though I haven't seen it in person as yet). I know this is all subjective, and each situation is different, but insight/opinions are welcome.

VREF is a starting point. Look at ads, but keep in mind those are asking prices and not what they are selling for. 400 hours in 7 years is enough (over 50 hours a year) as long as it was spread out. Most older planes will need ADS-B, but that is definitely something to consider. I used Trade-A-Plane's service as well (you have to subscribe). That is a fairly recent rebuild, so that is good.

First Time Buyer Jitters here...

How much stock should I put in the VREF value since I don't value some of the stuff on the equipment list as much as VREF does, and I know I'm going to have to install ADSB. Also the airplane has had 2 Gear-up incidents back 30 years ago, and has flown very little in the years following the overhaul (which VREF doesn't seem to care about). The engine was overhauled in 2011, and has under 400 hrs now. Is that even enough use to get an effective break-in? Overall the airplane looks pretty nice (though I haven't seen it in person as yet). I know this is all subjective, and each situation is different, but insight/opinions are welcome.

I'd look at how those 400 hours occurred. Has the airplane flown steadily, or did those hours happen in a couple years and then it sat for many years after that?

Vref and the NAAA evaluator on Trade-a-plane are okay ballparks.

But if you want the rightest bestest number to go by.... hire the properly qualified appraiser.

Mike Simmons of North Carolina is a good start.

Mike Simmons
President
Plane Data, Inc.
800-895-1382
828-737-1599 (Direct & International)
www.planedata.com

I think the best thing might be to wait and do more research. That way YOU know when you’ve found a good deal for you and don’t have to find another resource to compare to. You’ll just know and will be able to act quickly. Take your time and learn the market for what you’re looking for.

Vref lol

You just got to put the time in and research the market and get on the type groups.

Having bought two planes in the last 4 years, I feel Vref is nothing more than a spit in the wind. I will say this, anything that can be flown basic med in the last year has jumped up in value. I don't have numbers or anything, but I watch the market for me next gottahavit plane and prices are up, up, up.

Back