VR is weird

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
I'm sitting in a virtual movie theater, watching some movie I've never heard of before (Mr. Nobody?), listening to three people (one in England, one in the Netherlands, and one in the US) talking quietly about the movie and what's happening in it, while posting this thread and browsing POA all at the same time. Just before this, I caught the last half of Gravity in 3D...without needing 3D glasses. VR is weird.

6IYx7PZ.png

Why would anyone pay for virtual reality when actual reality is free?

Rich

Reactions: Ted
A former coworker of mine knew I had become a student pilot and I knew he was really into flight sims. I'm not crazy about them (too damned much time setting it up, tweaking things, getting used to the controls, etc.) but wanted to just set up a somewhat realistic flight sim to "fly" a little when I couldn't do it for real. I chose Xplane. Took a lot of bring time to set up. Still wasn't right so I went to visit him.

He showed me his setup and it was a lot more sophisticated that my little laptop. We flew a little, and then he clapped VR goggles, and helped me understand how to manipulate the controls, but it was all unfamiliar for me. But, man...it was incredible. Just turn your head and look out the side window, etc.

I did crash, on landing I suddenly had no idea where the throttle was, and other controls, but up until then it was pretty realistic, minus the signals to the body, attitude , etc..

It was amazing but I still cannot compare it to actual flying. But as an aid, I wish I had his system. Laptops suck.

I know I cauldron probably set it up for VR but even without it, my fps rate is right in the edge and I have to sacrifice realism for smoothness.

I'm good for 2-5 hours a week of VR. There's a such thing as too much, even with a lightweight cordless headset. The unfortunate thing is flight sims just don't have the physics for VFR flying.

Job Simulator is a lot of fun. I am a burrito expert now...

Back