Voyager keeps on ticking

Carol said:
I, too, think it's pretty cool. Not many things these days work that well for 26 years.

Also, it makes me think of the Star Trek movie that had V'ger in it :)

Absolutely!! One of the best things NASA has done! :yes:

Dave Krall CFII said:
Outstanding and very efficient space exploration, given our present and near future technological abilities !

I agree to an extent. What we are sending up now is in many repects inferior to what we sent up decades ago. However, this isn't due to ability, but rather philosophy. Back then we overbuilt and over engineered things. This gave us a great product, but huge and heavy, and in the world of shooting things into deep space, weight = $$$$$$. As the space progam lost funding, we had to start squeezing every bit we could out of a dollar, and things became lighter and smaller and more fragile engineered to the bleeding edge of technology rather than towards sturdyness and redundancy. They engineer for a specific job and life span. Even the Voyagers were never expected to provide information this long. The knowledge and ability is still there, it just requires the political will and economic conditions to put it into effect. Hopefully Paul Allen et al will have the vision to bring space into the public sector, however in order for it to grow there, it will have to show a return. How that will happen, I haven't a clue, I'm not that much of a visionary, hopefully, someone is. I'd do Captain on a Space Tug.:cheerswine:

Back