Voting.

But what happens when the 'recipient' class can vote to themselves all of the money?

That's called democracy- it's not pretty, but that's how it works. It's also why we don't have a direct democracy.

FWIW- I support 1 person, 1 vote as long as there's Voter ID requirements and a test to weed out all the undesirable voters we have today:

*noncitizens
*those under the age of majority
*those deemed mentally incompetent to hold the franchise
*nonresidents of the area they are voting for
*those clinically dead >6 months
*anybody voting more than 3 times in the same election

About 10 years ago I started traveling a lot for work. I never knew if I would be home for Election Day. I started getting absentee ballots and voiting by mail. I now wonder why I did not do it sooner. I get the ballot in the mail, I can research the candidates on the internet, No lines to stand in. I feel beter about looking up the candidates and doing a little research than just leaving the ballot blank.

Guess which party tries to limit early voting and vote by mail options?

Uh no. If you confiscated every penny and asset of the top 1% you'd fund our handout programs for about a year.

So sad that the US treats our billionaires so callously.

Dems were blamed for sabotaging a bunch of military absentee ballots on O's first election. If you think one party is moral and one is not I have a bridge for sale that you will absolutely love. Limited time offer, they don't make bridges like this anymore.

I contend that limiting early hurts the wealthy and employed more than it does the unemployed. I do see where it affects the lower paid segment that can't afford to take the time off. But have you ever heard of a push to eliminate early voting. I've always thought voting should occur on weekends any way. People should have to put out some effort to vote, and possibly prioritize their time just a little bit for an activity this important.

I've never been a fan of early voting. Absentee ballots I'm OK with, they do serve a necessary purpose. But early voting? It may have been a good idea, with good intentions, but way too many people are just too lazy to vote and then complain that voting is too inconvenient, so we end up trying to accommodate them and find out they really aren't going to vote anyway. Voting is a 'big deal', people should have to make an effort.

I contend that limiting early hurts the wealthy and employed more than it does the unemployed. I do see where it affects the lower paid segment that can't afford to take the time off. But have you ever heard of a push to eliminate early voting. I've always thought voting should occur on weekends any way. People should have to put out some effort to vote, and possibly prioritize their time just a little bit for an activity this important.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/18/republican-voter-suppression-early-voting_n_1766172.html
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statep...estos-lawsuit-bill-b99234687z1-252672541.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2012/09/24/florida-early-voting-cuts-survive/

I've got a lot to do this morning, so I just skimmed those links.
Some of the stuff I agreed with, some I didn't.
Some I believed, some I didn't.
So I'm not sure what you were trying to point out? Were you agreeing with me that weekend voting would help?
The biggest issues we had in Florida wasn't enough days to vote. It was not enough machines. I stood in line for hours a couple of times in 2012 and left each time but the last. The lines were huge and moved slowly. There were only 16 machines and there were 11 (if I remember correctly) very confusing State constitutional amendments on the ballot. Some people spent a half hour trying to figure out what they were voting for, but if you didn't research it in advance, you had no idea. When I finally got to the machine it took me about 5 minutes. When I left the guy that had been right behind me for the past two hours took my machine. Nobody else left.

There are problem with the voting facilities, but photo ID and insufficient number of early voting days aren't the problems.

Just, basically, instances of nibbling at early voting in a few states. I do agree that weekend voting would help.

It is sad when people wait to get to the polls to figure out what to vote. I, too, go to the polls with a list and just go down it, voting according to the choices that I have worked out before leaving the house. On the other hand, those confusing ballot titles are intentional.

I'm pretty sure in KS I've seen signs at the polling places that say they limit your time in the booth to something like 5 or 10 minutes. Know what you are voting for before you go - how hard can it be?

Back