Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
It's nice having a VOT on the field.

180 TO the station and 108.2.

In my 182. Nice.

aefdbb6f-a840-2698.jpg

According to the A/FD I've got one nearby, at KDET. However, even though AFAIK it's never been NOTAM'd OTS, the Morse code identifier hasn't been working for over a year, so I don't think it's legal to use it. Well I have to be careful: I gave up on it last winter, so maybe it's back working again.

Anyway I do all my VOR checks by comparing my two NAVs. I do one on practically every trip I take. (Whether I remember to log it is another matter though... :redface:)

Anyway I do all my VOR checks by comparing my two NAVs. I do one on practically every trip I take. (Whether I remember to log it is another matter though... :redface:)

Funny, I've been doing the same thing for years. Started with my PP lessons. Just a habit I got into with the CFI (former airline pilot) when learning to fly in the first place. Dial in the VOR on the field and check both VOR receivers against it. Before taxiing away from the hangar. As Ron says, law of primacy.

BTW, for those having trouble remembering which way it goes, Cessna makes a one eighty two, but they don't make a one eighty from.

BTW, for those having trouble remembering which way it goes, Cessna makes a one eighty two, but they don't make a one eighty from.
Thank you. I have no idea why i can never remember which way it goes. I wish my CFII had mentioned that mnemonic. I did my instrument training in a 182 so it would have been easy to remember that.

\__[Ô]__/;938516 said:
Thank you. I have no idea why i can never remember which way it goes. I wish my CFII had mentioned that mnemonic. I did my instrument training in a 182 so it would have been easy to remember that.
While I like Ron's clever memory aid, another simple way to remember starts with knowing that VOR and VOT signals are based on radials and the 360/0 radial is the one you're on when the OBS is set to 360/0 and the direction flag shows from. This is something every PPL holder is supposed to know by heart. All you need from there is the notion that the zero radial is a far more rational choice for a test signal than the 180 radial (from an engineering perspective).

While I like Ron's clever memory aid, another simple way to remember starts with knowing that VOR and VOT signals are based on radials and the 360/0 radial is the one you're on when the OBS is set to 360/0 and the direction flag shows from.
That's the way I reasoned it out when I first learned about it. But you do have to remember that the VOT puts out a signal on the 360 radial, not the 180.

That's the way I reasoned it out when I first learned about it. But you do have to remember that the VOT puts out a signal on the 360 radial, not the 180.
Like I said, to an engineer that simply "makes sense".:wink2:

Back