VOR without DME

thestankinator

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
The Stankinator, Jr.
For part of a video on introductory VFR navigation, I'd like a picture of the symbol for a VOR without DME or TACAN actually used on a chart, not just in the legend. Anyone know where I could find one of those other than on an airport, so I get the hexagon symbol with it?

For part of a video on introductory VFR navigation, I'd like a picture of the symbol for a VOR without DME or TACAN actually used on a chart, not just in the legend. Anyone know where I could find one of those other than on an airport, so I get the hexagon symbol with it?

LWL Wells VOR

I think I'll stick with ISD, only for the chance to stick the word "Winner" into one of these videos.

A little off the topic, but Marty, your map looks pretty similar to mine. Race to 50?

A little off the topic, but Marty, your map looks pretty similar to mine. Race to 50?

Haha. Sure! Though, I don't expect to get there anytime soon (my Michigan feels like cheating, too, because I flew to KESC on my long instrument XC). Do you fly out of MSN? Are you part of the Capital City Flyers group?

(my Michigan feels like cheating, too, because I flew to KESC on my long instrument XC)
Both of the times I've been to DBQ were before I got my private ticket, so I'd count it.
Do you fly out of MSN?
Yes.
Are you part of the Capital City Flyers group?
No. I'm a student at the University of Wisconsin and do most of my flying with the Badger Aviators (which is mostly student organization, and not really a flying club). I do a fair amount of flying for the newly formed UW team, and I know our coach is hoping to purchase an airplane soon, but it's quite doubtful we'll be able to receive any UW funding for it.

Both of the times I've been to DBQ were before I got my private ticket, so I'd count it.

Yes.

No. I'm a student at the University of Wisconsin and do most of my flying with the Badger Aviators (which is mostly student organization, and not really a flying club). I do a fair amount of flying for the newly formed UW team, and I know our coach is hoping to purchase an airplane soon, but it's quite doubtful we'll be able to receive any UW funding for it.

Actually, now that I think of it, Iowa is marked on mine thanks to two trips to DBQ pre-PPL as well (once with my instructor, once as my long solo XC). I should probably get back to Iowa again (and go to mainland Michigan) just to make both of those feel a little more legit.

As a fellow (former?) Badger, I'm intrigued by this "UW team" you mentioned. Care to expound? (Also, feel free to move this conversation to PM, if you'd prefer.)

As a fellow (former?) Badger,
Once a Badger, always a Badger, I think. When did you graduate? I remember meeting someone named Marty in BA my freshman year, back in 2012...

I'm intrigued by this "UW team" you mentioned. Care to expound?
Sure. A recent graduate of the University of North Dakota (and Wisconsin native) who had competed on their flying team for four years wanted his own home state to get in on the NIFA action (http://nifa.aero/) and contacted all the Wisconsin schools he could find with aviation programs about forming a team. He eventually came across the Badger Aviators, who got enough member support to form a team and start competing in October 2013, though lacking a formal aviation program or curriculum. He's now our coach, and we're heading to nationals this year after our third place regional finish in TVF last October (my only Minnesota flights having taken place there). Sadly there's no real help from the university, so all our flying practices/competitions/travel cost $86/hour.

Once a Badger, always a Badger, I think. When did you graduate? I remember meeting someone named Marty in BA my freshman year, back in 2012...

LOL. I graduated in 2000.

Sure. A recent graduate of the University of North Dakota (and Wisconsin native) who had competed on their flying team for four years wanted his own home state to get in on the NIFA action (http://nifa.aero/) and contacted all the Wisconsin schools he could find with aviation programs about forming a team. He eventually came across the Badger Aviators, who got enough member support to form a team and start competing in October 2013, though lacking a formal aviation program or curriculum. He's now our coach, and we're heading to nationals this year after our third place regional finish in TVF last October (my only Minnesota flights having taken place there). Sadly there's no real help from the university, so all our flying practices/competitions/travel cost $86/hour.

That's awesome! And that's not TOO expensive, though it'd be nice to get a little help. What are you guys flying? And are there dues beyond the 86/hr?

Back