VOR Receiver Accuracy Check

Erice

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Erice
Before I depart on an IFR flight, I am supposed to verify that the airplane is currently certified for IFR. This means:

-The airplane has undergone an annual insection within the past 12 calendar months;
-The the pitot-static check was done within the past 24 calendar months;
-The transponder check was done within the past 24 calendar months.

All of this information should be in the aircraft logs.

But what about the VOR test within the past 30 days? If that is not in the logs, I need to conduct that test myself--which I do before every IFR flight (one thus far :) ). 91.171(d) says that this must be recorded in the "logbook or other record." How official does this "other record" have to be? Can I write down on a sticky pad the required information (date, place, bearing error, and signature), and keep it with me until I've completed my flight, then throw it away? Or is this information supposed to become part of the permanent record?

The reason I ask is that my CFII said I could write it down, keep it until the flight is over, then pitch it. One of the test prep books I'm reading says it has to be a permanent record.
________
homemade vaporizers

Last edited:
I keep an informal notebook of times and fuel consumed. In the back of that book, I keep a log of the VOR checks and the GPS database replacements (those also need to be logged). I believe that you can technically dispose of them in a relatively timely fashion, but keeping them around is no big effort.

I keep a small sheet on my kneeboard, behind my notepad. IMO, the advantage of the "permanent record" is that it allows you to spot deteriorating accuracy.

We used to write them on the back of the rental ticket book in one club.

I just use the cute little feature of the SL30 to log mine now.

In our rentals, we have a page in the "book" that goes with the keys for every flight with a VOR check in it.
Someone just make a "blank" spreadsheet to write in date, errors and initials of who did it.

Mark B

Before I depart on an IFR flight, I am supposed to verify that the airplane is currently certified for IFR. This means:

-The airplane has undergone an annual insection within the past 12 calendar months;
-The the pitot-static check was done within the past 24 calendar months;
-The transponder check was done within the past 24 calendar months.
Of those listed above, only the altimeter/static system check (the pitot system is not part of the 91.411 check) is specific to IFR operations. The other two are required even for VFR flight, along with the within-the-preceding-12-months ELT ops check (91.207d) and confirming that the ELT battery expiration date has not passed.

All of this information should be in the aircraft logs.
Correct. The airframe log, to be specific.

But what about the VOR test within the past 30 days? If that is not in the logs, I need to conduct that test myself--which I do before every IFR flight (one thus far :) ). 91.171(d) says that this must be recorded in the "logbook or other record." How official does this "other record" have to be?
It must have the date, the location of the check, the error, and a pilot's (or avionics repairman's) signature.

Can I write down on a sticky pad the required information (date, place, bearing error, and signature), and keep it with me until I've completed my flight, then throw it away?
Sure, assuming you can do one on the ground at your departure point, but most folks find it useful to keep it at least until they do the next VOR check. That's especially important if you can't do a VOR check on the ground at your home 'drome -- lest you find yourself unable to take off IFR because the last check is missing or out of date.

Or is this information supposed to become part of the permanent record?
No requirement for that whatsoever.

The reason I ask is that my CFII said I could write it down, keep it until the flight is over, then pitch it.
For the purposes of that single flight, he's correct.

One of the test prep books I'm reading says it has to be a permanent record.
That is not correct. The reg merely says, "or other record," and does not specify how long that record must be kept, other than that it be available if you're questioned about that flight. That said, if anything goes wrong navigationally on any particular flight, having that record available might save your legal butt if it comes to an FAA investigation on a charge of violating 91.171 if they allege you did not make that check.

BTW, my acronym for remembering all the checks is AV1ATE (note the "i" in "aviate" is a "1"):

Annual - within preceding 12 months for any flight
VOR (IFR only) - within preceding 30 days
100 hour (if for hire or flight school) - within preceding 100 flight hours
Altimeter-static system (IFR only) - within preceding 24 months
Transponder - within preceding 24 months
ELT - battery current, ops check within preceding 12 months (should be part of the annual, but not implicit in an annual sign-off -- must be explicitly included)

We used to write them on the back of the rental ticket book in one club.

I just use the cute little feature of the SL30 to log mine now.

What cute little feature, and how does it work?

I'm especially interested to know how the heck you sign it. ;)

Of those listed above, only the altimeter/static system check (the pitot system is not part of the 91.411 check) is specific to IFR operations. The other two are required even for VFR flight,....
Well, I'm gonna pick a nit here... ;)

The transponder reg, quoted below, basically states that a VFR aircraft with an electrical system must have and use a transponder in:
Class A, B, and C airspace, with in the "mode C veil" of a Class B airspace, in any airspace above Class B or C airspace to 10,000 MSL, and above 10,000 MSL (with a minor exception).

Additionally, 91.413 says that you can't use a transponder unless it's been tested and certified for proper operation.

So, as I understand it, below 10,000 MSL, and nowhere near Class B or C airspace, you are not required to either have installed or operate a transponder. If your transponder doesn't have a current 91.413 check, you can still operate in this airspace with your transponder off (although I believe it WOULD need to be deferred under 91.213.)

I realize that from a practical standpoint, this may or may not be useful information, but in the interest of accuracy, I think it should be clarified.

Ron, am I correct, or is there a piece of the puzzle I'm missing? (and I KNOW that wouldn't be a first ;))

Fly safe!

David

Sec. 91.215 - ATC transponder and altitude reporting equipment and use.
(a) All airspace: U.S.-registered civil aircraft. For operations not conducted under part 121 or 135 of this chapter, ATC transponder equipment installed must meet the performance and environmental requirements of any class of TSO-C74b (Mode A) or any class of TSO-C74c (Mode A with altitude reporting capability) as appropriate, or the appropriate class of TSO-C112 (Mode S).

(b) All airspace. Unless otherwise authorized or directed by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft in the airspace described in paragraphs (b)(1) through (b)(5) of this section, unless that aircraft is equipped with an operable coded radar beacon transponder having either Mode 3/A 4096 code capability, replying to Mode 3/A interrogations with the code specified by ATC, or a Mode S capability, replying to Mode 3/A interrogations with the code specified by ATC and intermode and Mode S interrogations in accordance with the applicable provisions specified in TSO C-112, and that aircraft is equipped with automatic pressure altitude reporting equipment having a Mode C capability that automatically replies to Mode C interrogations by transmitting pressure altitude information in 100-foot increments. This requirement applies --
(1) All aircraft. In Class A, Class B, and Class C airspace areas;
(2) All aircraft. In all airspace within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in appendix D, section 1 of this part from the surface upward to 10,000 feet MSL;
(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(2) of this section, any aircraft which was not originally certificated with an engine-driven electrical system or which has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, balloon or glider may conduct operations in the airspace within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in appendix D, section 1 of this part provided such operations are conducted --
(i) Outside any Class A, Class B, or Class C airspace area; and
(ii) Below the altitude of the ceiling of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport or 10,000 feet MSL, whichever is lower; and
(4) All aircraft in all airspace above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport upward to 10,000 feet MSL; and
(5) All aircraft except any aircraft which was not originally certificated with an engine-driven electrical system or which has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, balloon, or glider -- --
(i) In all airspace of the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface; and
(ii) In the airspace from the surface to 10,000 feet MSL within a 10-nautical-mile radius of any airport listed in appendix D, section 2 of this part, excluding the airspace below 1,200 feet outside of the lateral boundaries of the surface area of the airspace designated for that airport.
(c) Transponder-on operation. While in the airspace as specified in paragraph (b) of this section or in all controlled airspace, each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with §91.413 of this part shall operate the transponder, including Mode C equipment if installed, and shall reply on the appropriate code or as assigned by ATC.
(d) ATC authorized deviations. Requests for ATC authorized deviations must be made to the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the concerned airspace within the time periods specified as follows:
(1) For operation of an aircraft with an operating transponder but without operating automatic pressure altitude reporting equipment having a Mode C capability, the request may be made at any time.
(2) For operation of an aircraft with an inoperative transponder to the airport of ultimate destination, including any intermediate stops, or to proceed to a place where suitable repairs can be made or both, the request may be made at any time.
(3) For operation of an aircraft that is not equipped with a transponder, the request must be made at least one hour before the proposed operation.

What cute little feature, and how does it work?

I'm especially interested to know how the heck you sign it. ;)

My GNS-480 has the same feature (not surprising since it has a virtual copy of the SL-30 inside it) and I've wondered the same thing (how to comply with the signature requirement). It might be sufficient to sign something (perhaps on the back of the receiver's pilot guide or POH supplement) that states that you certify that the date in the unit's test log is when you performed the most recent test or something like that. In addition, since there's only space in the name field for 14 characters, it might be more appropriate to enter your certificate # and put another copy of that by your signature on paper.

Am I mistaken, or do not the AD's and items deferred by the MEL or CDL need to be within the time limits also?
Yes, but for most folks flying their own light planes, the AV1ATE checks are enough to stay safe and legal. If you're flying with an approved MEL, you probably know all this stuff by heart already.

mauleskinner,

Let me nit some pics. If you read paragraph (c) of the FAR you quoted, it states that in addition to all the airpace you mentioned, that contained in paragraph (b), there is the addition: "or in all controlled airspace". Class E airspace is controlled airspace, and in most of the country that means everything above 1200 AGL. The airspace that you referred to ( that listed in paragraph (b) is where a transponder is required to be installed. Everywhere else, a transponder is not required, but if it is installed, it must be on, at least that's the way I read it.

...but if it is installed, it must be on, at least that's the way I read it.
If it is installed and "operable", it must be on. If the 91.413 transponder check has expired, then 91.413 says it may not be "used". One might conclude that this makes it no longer "operable", and thus it's okay to fly through that airspace (controlled, but not any of the airspace explicitly listed in 91.215) with the transponder turned off. I'd think it should also be placarded via 91.213.

I'm speculating, though, I dunno if an expired transponder check equals "inoperative".
-harry

Harry,
I concur that if it has not been checked, then it is inoperable. Yes it should be placarded as OS, and yes you could fly in the other airspace. Mauleskinner stated that in the other airspace your wer not required to have a transponder installed (correct) nor operated (not correct). If it is installed and operational (checked etc) then you are required to operate it.

I use an ASA flight log (SP-FLT) that has pre-printed blanks in the margin for oil change due, 100 hr inspection, annual, VOR check (up to 3 radios), pitot-static, and ELT battery check. It's a handy cross reference for maintenance items logged in the maintenance log books that is kept in the plane.

Nothing that is logged is important until an incident occurs, then everything that is logged is important and everything that isn't logged is questioned as if it were important.

mauleskinner,

Let me nit some pics. If you read paragraph (c) of the FAR you quoted, it states that in addition to all the airpace you mentioned, that contained in paragraph (b), there is the addition: "or in all controlled airspace". Class E airspace is controlled airspace, and in most of the country that means everything above 1200 AGL. The airspace that you referred to ( that listed in paragraph (b) is where a transponder is required to be installed.
Good point...I missed that.
swamppilot said:
Everywhere else, a transponder is not required, but if it is installed, it must be on, at least that's the way I read it.
I'll disagree with this, but your correction below negates my need to discuss it.;)
Harry,
I concur that if it has not been checked, then it is inoperable. Yes it should be placarded as OS, and yes you could fly in the other airspace. Mauleskinner stated that in the other airspace your wer not required to have a transponder installed (correct) nor operated (not correct). If it is installed and operational (checked etc) then you are required to operate it.
Fly safe!

David

Just picking nits there mauleskinner. As you may know, some pilots actually turn off their xponders when not in the specified airspace. Just wanted to point out that such a practice is not in accordance with the FAR's.

Back