VOR impact study

How hard did it impact?
The airplane received major structural damage as it made initial contact with trees. Tree limbs more than 8 inches in diameter were fractured. Much of the airplane was destroyed by impact, and it was largely consumed in a postcrash fire.

The pilot announced that he was over the Linden VOR at 2000 feet. The VOR sits on top of a 2472 foot peak. VFR in instrument conditions. It was decided that perhaps the FAA should follow their own rules after that one.

I use a couple/three VORs regularly. Kingston and Pawling, because they are near the 2 airports I fly in and out of the most these days, 44N and KPOU. The third is the Carmel VOR near Danbury, but it's broken way too often.

I have kept my ADF and jamming/spoofing a 50,000 watt broadcast station would be quite a challenge but I wish the FAA showed their frequency and location.

I have kept my ADF and jamming/spoofing a 50,000 watt broadcast station would be quite a challenge but I wish the FAA showed their frequency and location.

The great thing about ADF is that it covers the entire US AM broadcast frequency range. So, anywhere theres a strong AM radio station, you've got an ADF signal. Just need to identify them on whatever chart you're using, and then figure out how to use them to line you up with a runway.

The great thing about ADF is that it covers the entire US AM broadcast frequency range. So, anywhere theres a strong AM radio station, you've got an ADF signal. Just need to identify them on whatever chart you're using, and then figure out how to use them to line you up with a runway.
My first Part 135 training involved one of those approaches that was sketched out and handed to me while we flew.

My first Part 135 training involved one of those approaches that was sketched out and handed to me while we flew.
The CFII I had for IR used AM stations. He liked one in particular, KSON in San Diego so he could listen to hillbilly music as he put it. And he liked to get evil to. Holding at an intersection defined by two of them.

I kept the ADF in my Warrior, and I would get rid of the VORs before I got rid of the ADF.

The FCC has a Google Earth overlay with a wealth of information:
https://www.fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php
"Show or Hide Facilities using AM, FM, TV, Microwave, and Antenna Structure..."

Unfortunately, it requires Internet access to function live, but the blazing AM stations along your route could manually be added to a GPS unit.

Back