VOR check logging

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
where does everyone log their VOR checks? I do a dual check someone routinely and always within 30 days of an IFR flight. I read the FAR’s and it says logbook or “other record”. What is “other record”?? I fly a club plane. So I have been loggin it on the notebook we have in the plane to record the tach time for billing. I thought that was a good idea until the guy who does the billing swapped out the notebook for a new one!!! My log book doesn’t really count does it? The actual logbooks aren’t kept with the plane but there is a folder with the POH and other documents behind the passenger seat-I guess I could put the into on a a paper in there right?

I just created and printed off a spread sheet named "VOR LOG" and fill in the dates and specifics of each check one line. Each page holds about 45 lines.
I'd post it, but after printing off a half dozen copies, my disk crashed and that is one of the things I never restored.

Ditto, I made a log in Word and that's it.

I keep mine in a 3x5 spiral notebook along with annual squawks.

With modern equipment, isn’t this req a little antiquated?
Here is a nice article aopa put out a little while ago.
https://pilot-protection-services.a...-day-vor-checks-still-required-for-ifr-flight

I guess if you only use gps and only so RNAV approaches then u might not need it but want to use any ground based navigation then you have to do the checks.
Silly to think this way about regs but I sometime imagine if NTSB is writing a report about my f-up, what will they say?? One less thing will be that they couldn’t find documentation of a VOR check for five years, lol

Just sayin’ , in 35 years of flying, I’ve never found one to be out of tolerance.

Just sayin’ , in 35 years of flying, I’ve never found one to be out of tolerance.

You never owned a Narco NAV-11 or NAV-12. :D I've never found a relatively modern unit out of tolerance.

In my rental days, we kept them on the receipt book cover. In private ownership, I have a small notebook.

My favorite quirk in the rules on this is the use of the word "intended" before "departure." I was never sure if this was to invalidate VOR checks done prior to unintentional departures or to keep you from doing checks at airports you never intended to depart from.

Back