VOR Backcourse annunciator light

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
Is anyone familiar with the backcourse light on a IN-385AC VOR? After studying the wiring I came to the following guess/assumption which may be wrong.

You need to manually via a switch activate a relay which reverses wiring to the VOR's pointer in/out connections and causes the vertical pointer to act opposite of the way it normally operates.

In short my guess is it requires the manual flip of a switch?

Any expertise/familiarity is appreciated.

Last edited:
You got my curiosity peaked and below is what I found. I think I flew an airplane years ago with that indicator.

"12. BC LAMP - Amber light illuminates when the autopilot or reverse sense option is installed and the reverse sense switch or autopilot's back-course function is engaged; indicates course deviation pointer is reversed on selected receiver when tuned to a localizer frequency."

Found on page 205 of:
http://www.sq87-cap.org/uploads/Mission Resources/7304N_POH/C206_POH_GenericSearchable.pdf

Is anyone familiar with the backcourse light on a IN-385AC VOR? After studying the wiring I came to the following guess/assumption which may be wrong.

You need to manually via a switch activate a relay which reverses wiring to the VOR's pointer in/out connections and causes the vertical pointer to act opposite of the way it normally operates.

In short my guess is it requires the manual flip of a switch?

Any expertise/familiarity is appreciated.
Yes. You push the back course button on the Nav-o-matic autopilot. I have such an animal in my 177B.

Back