Volunteers needed…aerobatic contest in Kansas City

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
There will be an aerobatic contest in Kansas City on Sept. 7th and 8th. They need volunteers to help with various things. If anyone is interested, here is the web site and information where you can sign up, or who to call if you have questions.

http://www.iac15.org/

I've never been to a contest, so I don't really know how it all works, but maybe someone else can chime in who does.

wont be able to make it with work and 6Y9. I will be cheering for you from Cedar Rapids though. have fun Diana!

I've never been to a contest, so I don't really know how it all works, but maybe someone else can chime in who does.
Good luck Diana! I'll be rooting for you! Before my last lesson John showed me the Primary sequence on the IAC website so I have an idea what you will be doing. :yes:

I'm still planning on going to the contest in Sterling on Saturday just to see what the whole thing is all about. I'll let you know what my newbie observations are.

Good luck Diana! I'll be rooting for you!
Thanks Mari. :)

Before my last lesson John showed me the Primary sequence on the IAC website so I have an idea what you will be doing. :yes:
The sequence looks easy enough, but I already have a list of things that can go wrong just trying to figure it out by myself.

The guy who was going to help me get ready for the contest is too busy to help me now, so, once again, I'm on my own trying to understand what to do. I've had some good advice from the Citabria forum and from the KC contest director, who even went up and shot a video of flying the sequence for me when I posted asking anyone if they could show me what it's supposed to look like. He's been a big help long-distance. His being so willing to help has made it easier to squelch some of the nagging negative thoughts that keep popping up in my head. Now I know that there will be at least one friendly person at the contest in KC who will be nice.

Everybody keeps saying to just have fun and not to worry about the rest. Even if I can't do a slow roll in the Citabria. :redface: And I almost had myself convinced not to worry so much till yesterday when I found out that Giles Henderson is planning to compete in Primary in his Cassutt. I thought I would be competing against people like me. :(

I really admire Giles, and am looking forward to meeting him and watching him fly. He has been competing for years and years and years and consistently wins the Sportsman Sequence flying his clipped wing Cub. You have to fly really, really well to win in Sportsman flying that.

I'm still planning on going to the contest in Sterling on Saturday just to see what the whole thing is all about. I'll let you know what my newbie observations are.
Have fun at Sterling! I hope you get to meet Marijke...she's flying her 7KCAB in Primary. Paul from KC will probably be flying his Decathlon in the Sportsman, so go say "hi" to him if you have time.

Let me know what you think about the event and the people. :yes:

Are you going to volunteer?

The sequence looks easy enough
Not to me! It's got the two maneuvers I'm worst at right next to each other (one turn spin followed by a half cuban).

The guy who was going to help me get ready for the contest is too busy to help me now, so, once again, I'm on my own trying to understand what to do.
I'm sure it must be difficult without someone to coach you especially if it is your first time!

Everybody keeps saying to just have fun and not to worry about the rest.
Even though I don't know what the heck I'm talking about I'm pretty sure this is true. Like other activities there are probably the hyper-competitive types, but just as many who do it for fun and experience.

Have fun at Sterling! I hope you get to meet Marijke...she's flying her 7KCAB in Primary. Paul from KC will probably be flying his Decathlon in the Sportsman, so go say "hi" to him if you have time.
OK!

Sure. John is also interested in what my unbiased total newcomer impression is going to be.

I'm not sure what I can volunteer for but if they want to put me to work that's OK.

diana-

my understanding that the state of competitive aerobatics is quite like competitive soaring. the "sports" class has in many ways been overrun by people with lots of money and perhaps not the talent to matcht them, but they do well because they have the aircraft that can do about anything they ask. then when people like you and me with the low end performing aircraft come, there is no hope to win. at least in soaring the distance is handicapped but it is still rarely fair to the low performance glider. i understand that after many years of people flying high performance stuff in primary and sportsman the sequences have started to include manuevers that just are not reasonable for the little stuff (ie slow roll in citabria?). but the folks like you and me still get out there, do our best, and have a hell of a lot of fun at it because its what makes us keep going. so you have to have superhuman piloting ability in a low performance craft, like David Stephenson in soaring or Giles Henderson in acro, or just a ton of $$$ to buy the hottest glider/airplane.

have fun at the contest, we expect reports here! :yes:

I already let Diana know I'd be there as a volunteer. I specifically requested to work in an area where I'd be able to watch (and take pictures.)

Not to me! It's got the two maneuvers I'm worst at right next to each other (one turn spin followed by a half cuban).
It just looks easy on paper. :D

I found that I can come out better on the spin if I spin it to the right. Then pushing the nose straight down seems wrong somehow, but so does most of this stuff. :D

With the half Cuban, I have NO idea where 45 degrees is, and the Citabria does not like to do a half slow roll back upright. Actually, I don't think the Citabria read the book on any of this stuff.

The power and energy management is also a challenge. I have to mess with the throttle a lot, it seems like. Doesn't take long to exceed RPM red line.

my understanding that the state of competitive aerobatics is quite like competitive soaring. the "sports" class has in many ways been overrun by people with lots of money and perhaps not the talent to match them, but they do well because they have the aircraft that can do about anything they ask. then when people like you and me with the low end performing aircraft come, there is no hope to win. ........ like David Stephenson in soaring or Giles Henderson in acro, or just a ton of $$$ to buy the hottest glider/airplane.
Tony, there is a lot of truth in what you say. Since I'm not that good, I think I'll just do a farm roll (which is the closest I can get to a slow roll) and hope for the best.

The power and energy management is also a challenge. I have to mess with the throttle a lot, it seems like. Doesn't take long to exceed RPM red line.
Of course you do. That's one good reason to think about getting an airplane with a constant speed prop!!

Say, a Pitts!!

Then pushing the nose straight down seems wrong somehow, but so does most of this stuff. :D
No kidding! I still have trouble finding vertical but I get the idea that everything is supposed to look stationary only getting bigger. :eek:

With the half Cuban, I have NO idea where 45 degrees is, and the Citabria does not like to do a half slow roll back upright.
I'm not sure where the 45 is either other than he tells me where it is. I have a tendency to think it is less nose-down than it really is. As far as rolling out, I have trouble with that too. I remembered to use the correct cross-controlled rudder to start the turn but I wasn't using nearly enough top rudder at the knife-edge point.

That's right, you have a fixed-pitch prop. :eek: The Decathlon has a constant speed prop so I don't have to worry about that, thankfully. Except for spins we do almost everything at full throttle. I'm not sure if that's the normal case or if it's because we're here in Colorado doing the maneuvers at 8,000 to 9,000 MSL on pretty warm days.

Tony, there is a lot of truth in what you say. Since I'm not that good, I think I'll just do a farm roll (which is the closest I can get to a slow roll) and hope for the best.

oh i hope you dont think im trying to say that you are not that good! i certainly dont think that. i just think its too bad that if you fly an entry level aerobatic airplane in an entry level contest you have no hope of properly completing the manuevers because the craft is basically not capable of it :(

but enough of my complaining. get out there, fly, have fun, and show em what you can do!

Of course you do. That's one good reason to think about getting an airplane with a constant speed prop!!

Say, a Pitts!!
I keep asking for a Pitts every Christmas and every birthday, but it hasn't shown up yet. :( I wanted your Pitts. :yes: But Tom doesn't want a Pitts. :no: All I can hope for is a ride in a Pitts now and then.:yes:

I keep asking for a Pitts every Christmas and every birthday, but it hasn't shown up yet. :( I wanted your Pitts. :yes: But Tom doesn't want a Pitts. :no: All I can hope for is a ride in a Pitts now and then.:yes:
Someday you will have one. Let's hope it does not come down to pushing Tom in front of a bus.

Someday you will have one. Let's hope it does not come down to pushing Tom in front of a bus.
:D I don't think he has ever had a ride in a Pitts. Maybe I'll work on that. :yes: Except he doesn't like pulling G's. :no: Maybe he will like rolling one. :yes:

:D I don't think he has ever had a ride in a Pitts. Maybe I'll work on that. :yes: Except he doesn't like pulling G's. :no: Maybe he will like rolling one. :yes:
Pitts are delightful airplanes to fly no matter what you're doing -- unless it involves a 2-day, 1400 nm trip. They are so quick and responsive. I think he'd like the thrill of flying one and the challenge of landing it, even without the acro. I didn't really do that much acro in mine; I bought it as a sport plane. Exceedingly wonderful! You've got to get him some "regular" flight time in one, and try to make sure he can fly it from the back seat.

Pitts are delightful airplanes to fly no matter what you're doing -- unless it involves a 2-day, 1400 nm trip. They are so quick and responsive. I think he'd like the thrill of flying one and the challenge of landing it, even without the acro. I didn't really do that much acro in mine; I bought it as a sport plane. Exceedingly wonderful! You've got to get him some "regular" flight time in one, and try to make sure he can fly it from the back seat.
The best solution for this problem is for Chip to buy a Pitts!!!! :yes: Then we'll get Tom hooked and then I can get one! :yes:

The best solution for this problem is for Chip to buy a Pitts!!!! :yes: Then we'll get Tom hooked and then I can get one! :yes:
That's such a good idea I'm surprised Chip didn't think of it! There will be room in the hangar next to the Husky.

Speaking of aerobatics, here is how my NOTAM came out today. I just love the new spelling. :)

08/275 - AIRABATIC AREA 1500B6000 3 NMR 5SSE LLU/08MO AVOIDANCE ADZD 22 AUG 13:00 2007 UNTIL 22 AUG 17:00 2007

I already let Diana know I'd be there as a volunteer. I specifically requested to work in an area where I'd be able to watch (and take pictures.)
Matt, I ended up being asked to be the contest Medical Director (evidently the position doesn't require that the person be a physician), so maybe I'll get a chair in the shade after all. :)

I'm looking forward to meeting you while up there. :)

Matt, I ended up being asked to be the contest Medical Director (evidently the position doesn't require that the person be a physician), so maybe I'll get a chair in the shade after all. :)

I'm looking forward to meeting you while up there. :)

So you'll have the white lab coat with the tongue depressors sticking out of the pocket and wearing the headband with the round reflector thingy. You ought to be easy to spot.

All I was told was to report early and find out where they'll be assigning me. I'll only be able to help out on Friday, but I'm going to be available all day. By the end of the day I'm sure I'll be looking for shade, too.

Matt

Have fun at Sterling!
I did! :D

I hope you get to meet Marijke...she's flying her 7KCAB in Primary.
I really enjoyed meeting Marijke. She is a fun person and she did great, especially considering she had the least suitable plane out there. I can only hope to do that well someday. For a while she was the only pilot in entered in Primary so they recruited someone else to compete with her. Apparently you can't have a contest with only one competitor.

All of the people I met were friendly and helpful. They knew I was a newcomer and went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

As far as the event goes, I don't have much to compare it to, but I thought it was relatively well-organized. The whole thing seems very labor intensive. No wonder they need lots of volunteers. I was also surprised how long it ran. I think there was flying going on from about 10am, when the low clouds lifted, to at at least 730pm. That was only the first day of competition. They were going to fly a half a day today too.

Heh, I didn't have to volunteer, it was done for me. I ended up being the recorder for one of the judges (who is a story in herself) for a while. That was interesting, especially since I had never seen a scoresheet before and I can only vaguely read the shorthand. Good thing all I had to do was write down numbers and comments. Then I went out in the field and sat on a corner of the box with another guy who was calling "outs". They told me that pilots in Primary are not penalized for being out of the box so you don't have to worry about that. :)

I found the whole thing pretty appealing and I can feel myself getting sucked in. :eek: I would like to at least be able to learn the Primary sequence just for myself, even if I don't get the chance to compete anywhere.

I really enjoyed meeting Marijke. She is a fun person

Yea, she seems like a very cool lady.

and she did great, especially considering she had the least suitable plane out there.
I can identify with the least suitable airplane! :D

For a while she was the only pilot in entered in Primary so they recruited someone else to compete with her. Apparently you can't have a contest with only one competitor.
Who did they get to compete against her? Were there just two in Primary then? Does that mean that you win second place if there are only two? If so, maybe I'll have a chance to place in the top three if there are only two or three of us! :goofy:

All of the people I met were friendly and helpful. They knew I was a newcomer and went out of their way to make me feel welcome.
I'm glad to hear that. I've heard it isn't always that way sometimes at contests

Heh, I didn't have to volunteer, it was done for me. I ended up being the recorder for one of the judges (who is a story in herself) for a while. That was interesting, especially since I had never seen a scoresheet before and I can only vaguely read the shorthand. Good thing all I had to do was write down numbers and comments. Then I went out in the field and sat on a corner of the box with another guy who was calling "outs".
Sounds like you got to do some fun stuff!

They told me that pilots in Primary are not penalized for being out of the box so you don't have to worry about that. :)
I am hoping to gain a few points for presentation if I stay in the box since I will be so lacking in points in the roll.

I found the whole thing pretty appealing and I can feel myself getting sucked in. :eek: I would like to at least be able to learn the Primary sequence just for myself, even if I don't get the chance to compete anywhere.
Sounds like a fun goal Mari. :yes:

Thanks for the report on the contest and your thoughts about it. And thanks for the great photos, too. :)

Who did they get to compete against her? Were there just two in Primary then? Does that mean that you win second place if there are only two? If so, maybe I'll have a chance to place in the top three if there are only two or three of us! :goofy:
They got one of the pilots in Intermediate, I think, to also fly in Primary with her. I suppose if there are only two pilots you can't be worse than second! :) I don't know what the final results were, though. She might have been first. :D

I'm glad to hear that. I've heard it isn't always that way sometimes at contests
I'm sure it depends on the group of people involved but these were a nice bunch. It will be interesting to hear what your impressions are of the people in Kansas City.

Thanks for the report on the contest and your thoughts about it. And thanks for the great photos, too. :)
Anytime, Diana. If you hadn't figured it out yet, Marijke is the taller (and younger) one of the two of us. We are looking forward to seeing you if you come through here on your grass strip tour this fall. :yes:

Back