Voltage problem

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
Yesterday, I flew some instrument procedures for about an hour and a half, and then my safety pilot and I had lunch for an hour. We then climbed in so I could taxi him across the ramp to his plane. I started up normally, but halfway there I noticed the voltage was about 11.5 volts. Hmmm did I forget to turn on the alternator? Nope; it was switched on. So I turned the switch off and back on again and this time it came up. But instead of stopping at just under 14 volts, it kept slowly going -- 14.5, 15. I turned it off and tried again. Same result.

This sounds like a voltage regulator problem, right? Or is there possibly an alternator issue too since it did kick on the first time?

Sounds like the voltage regulator is toast, 15V is too high even if the battery was low.

Agree it sounds like a voltage regulator problem. Sounds like the over-voltage circuit is working fine... when you cycled the switch it reset and came back on. Likely it would have tripped off again as voltage continued to rise... needless to say, get it fixed before flying again.

-Skip

Rich,

If you've still got the original VR, it may well be going bad.

Get one of the electronic ones that other Commander owners have put on their planes and get rid of the electromechanical unit.

Bill

Rich,

If you've still got the original VR, it may well be going bad.

Get one of the electronic ones that other Commander owners have put on their planes and get rid of the electromechanical unit.

Bill

We've had more trouble with the electronic regulators than we ever did with the mechanical units.

Dan

Back