Voice communications through computer

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Would some one tell me how to get voice communications over the internet. I recently signed up for one of Scott Dennstaedt's online weather courses and while I can participate by observing I can't ask questions because I don't have a microphone nor do I know what equipment or softwear I may need. Scott uses WebEX for his seminars but I'm sure the mocrophone and set up must work for other groups such as if I use MSFS 2004 interactivly. Can some one help me out here? Thanks

Adam,

A year ago I was making a bunch of calls to London, and I decided that Skype would be a good, cheap way to make 'em.

I bought an $18 computer headset from a local store (Target or CompUSA), and plugged it into the sound card. It worked great.

There are plenty of other options, too. Most computer stores, and many consumer stores, have microphones and/or headsets compatible with computer sound cards.

Lots of headset options and they are cheap. YOu can do voice over a lot of products and most of them are cheap, Yahoo IM, Skype, MS, etc.

AdamZ said:
Would some one tell me how to get voice communications over the internet. I recently signed up for one of Scott Dennstaedt's online weather courses and while I can participate by observing I can't ask questions because I don't have a microphone nor do I know what equipment or softwear I may need. Scott uses WebEX for his seminars but I'm sure the mocrophone and set up must work for other groups such as if I use MSFS 2004 interactivly. Can some one help me out here? Thanks

Get a Logitech or Plantronics headset...USB or analog.

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat1430032
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlistns/US/EN,crid=101&categoryid=72

You'll see that they even say they're made for gaming. Your local CompUSA or Office Max has 'em. The new Staples near me didn't.

If you can wait, order from NewEgg. http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=37

Thanks for the advice folks. I guess I have a sound card becasue I can hear audio through the computer speakers on both my laptop and my desktop. Am I to understand that all I need to do is buy a headset and plug it into the computer and I can talk overt the internet to others who are logged into the same forum as long as the forum has voice capabilities? Or do I need to get something else in addition to the head set. In order for me to do this?

Adam,

Depending on the forum, you should be OK. You may need to download a piece of software to interface the sound card to the specific forum, but normally that's a trivial matter. You may also need to activate the microphone in your control panel settings. Again, trivial.

With Skype, for example, all I needed to do was download the free Skype program and make sure the microphone was plugged in/turned on in control panel. Skype took care of all the rest of the settings.

Check with the forum and see if the software downloads automagically.

Adam,

You do need to verify you have a microphone input for your sound card.

The software you need is all downloaded plugins for your browser that WebEx supplies.

Scott's eSeminars are definitely worth the hassle to get set up properly.

Joe

Thanks Joe: I did set up WebEx as per the link in Scotts email so it looks like I just need to get a headset with microphone. I wonder if I can use the one from my cell phone

Adam,
Typically the headsets for a cell phone only have a connector. All the sound cards I've seen have a seperate mic / headset jack and thus need 2 connectors.

Any computer/CircuitCity type store will have the PC headsets.

AirBaker said:
Adam,
Typically the headsets for a cell phone only have a connector. All the sound cards I've seen have a seperate mic / headset jack and thus need 2 connectors.

Any computer/CircuitCity type store will have the PC headsets.
Not to mention the cell phone headset jacks are a smaller size.

I use this on all my games:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/6326/

You can purchase it cheaper at Wally-world or just about any electronics store. But the 9' long cable and the excellent sound quality makes it perfect for me (not to mention in-line volume/mic mute controls and behind the head design).

AdamZ said:
Thanks Joe: I did set up WebEx as per the link in Scotts email so it looks like I just need to get a headset with microphone. I wonder if I can use the one from my cell phone

You can use the headset in your plane. Just get adapters to make the plugs match at Radio Shack.

mikea said:
You can use the headset in your plane. Just get adapters to make the plugs match at Radio Shack.
If you're talking about the aviation headset in your aircraft, it won't work. The microphone needs at least 5 volts of amplification to be active.

I've tried it before and finally figured out why it wasn't working by asking a local avionic shop.

Jason

mikea said:

I can hear it now...

"Sorry honey, I didn't realize you were talking. You know how this ANR kicks in at high frequencies..."

Back