Voice Altitude & Airpseed Alerting App Alpha Testers Needed

BigTex

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
All,

We've developed a voice altitude and airspeed alerting app for the Android Operating System. This application performs the following voice alerts:

- GUMP Check
- Gear Check
- Most V-Speeds
- Altitude Alerts (more than 200') from assigned altitude.
- Decent alerts
- Flight and Mission timers
- METARS

We're looking for a handful of Alpha testers that would be willing to use it and provide constructive comments on improving the application. If you have an Android device especially one that has Barometric sensors like a Samsung tablet or phone, and would like to assist please let us know.

Contact us at: info@Squawklog.com and we'll get back with you regarding adding you to the test group.

Thanks,
Gary

Thanks, but the wings don't care much about GPS ground speed and the cumulogranite may not match the GPS ellipsoid model of the earth. So, unless you are legally connected to the pitot/static system I'll pass.

One function/application that I would find very handy is an Automatic Flight Log on your cell phone. I have this on my Aera 560 but cannot download it on a PC. The way I envision it is that it will start recording any time your ground speed exceeds 100kts from the airport you depart, together with date/time and record arrival time when speed goes below 100kts or less. The data recorded would include departure time/date/location, time in-flight, arrival time/date/location. Additional data could be entered by the pilot while in-flight, like N number, type of flight, etc. It should record automatically even if the pilot forget to set it up like on the Aera 560.

The data should be downloadable to a PC on a log book type of format with options for comments.

The advantage of having this on a cell phone instead of a tablet is that you always carry your cell phone and is always on. I myself do not have a tablet because there is no need on the planes that I fly and is kind of bulky.

Let us know when you have something like the above.

José

Thanks, but the wings don't care much about GPS ground speed and the cumulogranite may not match the GPS ellipsoid model of the earth. So, unless you are legally connected to the pitot/static system I'll pass.

GPS altitude seems a lot more reliable than a barometric altimeter. No issues with temperature.

Jose, Have you checked out MyFlightBook?

GPS altitude seems a lot more reliable than a barometric altimeter. No issues with temperature.

More accurate, but not as precise, I don't think.

But either one of them is worthless for terrain warnings without an accurate, high-resolution terrain/obstacle database.

GPS altitude seems a lot more reliable than a barometric altimeter.
It may "seem" more accurate to you but it's not. That's also why we need WAAS for vertical guidance.

Last edited:
One function/application that I would find very handy is an Automatic Flight Log on your cell phone. I have this on my Aera 560 but cannot download it on a PC. The way I envision it is that it will start recording any time your ground speed exceeds 100kts from the airport you depart, together with date/time and record arrival time when speed goes below 100kts or less. The data recorded would include departure time/date/location, time in-flight, arrival time/date/location. Additional data could be entered by the pilot while in-flight, like N number, type of flight, etc. It should record automatically even if the pilot forget to set it up like on the Aera 560.

The data should be downloadable to a PC on a log book type of format with options for comments.

The advantage of having this on a cell phone instead of a tablet is that you always carry your cell phone and is always on. I myself do not have a tablet because there is no need on the planes that I fly and is kind of bulky.

Let us know when you have something like the above.

José

Jose, We have a fee app in the Google Store called SquawkLogger. It creates KML files that can be emailed to your PC. This file can be imported into Google Earth. It shows flight time captured via your phone. Check it out and let us know what you think!

It may "seem" more accurate to you but it's not. That's also why we need WAAS for vertical guidance.

WAAS is part of the GPS system.

Fly by a 12000 ft mountain on a hot summer day. Compare your altimeter to the GPS. Tell me which one you'd rather use for terrain avoidance.

WAAS is part of the GPS system.

Fly by a 12000 ft mountain on a hot summer day. Compare your altimeter to the GPS. Tell me which one you'd rather use for terrain avoidance.

Thinking about this a little bit- I may be wrong here, but if it's a hot summer day, wouldn't the altimeter read higher than true altitude? The mountain doesn't move with the temperature (of course), but the altitude of the mountain as measured by the altimeter in your plane would below 12k.

You might violate minimum altitude FARs, but WAAS altitude isn't subject to variations in barometric pressure. Wouldn't WAAS give you a better idea of the altitude above the ground? assuming of course that the height of the mountain is accurate.

Yes, It would read higher, but it illustrates my point about altimeters being less accurate.

If it's a cold day, you'd have the opposite problem. We don't get too many days below standard temp out here in AZ though.

My point is - just eliminate the guesswork and use GPS/WAAS altitude.

Well, I'm not sure I understand your point but if the mountain is 12,000 MSL and the altimeter reads 12,000 MSL then I am actually higher than the mountain. With a GPS reading of 12,000 feet above the WGS84 ellipsoid I really don't know where I am relative to 12,000 MSL. So I'll take the altimeter, thanks.

What about on a cold day? Are you going to whip out a calculator in the cockpit to see if you'll hit the mountain while relying on your altimeter?

How do you plan to interface your altimeter with a digital terrain database anyhow?

Modern GPSes correct altitude using tools like EGM96 to correct the altitude given by the WGS84 model.

Jeez, dans2992. Calm down. You're going to blow a gasket.

My point was that GPS altitude is not useful for an alerter. ATC assigns MSL altitudes as read on an aneroid capsule sensitive altimeter adjusted to current pressure. They do not assign altitudes above an ellipsoid. The two numbers are similar but not identical.

GPS altitude is A Fine Thing for terrain warnings. There is a reason,though, that the military uses radar and not GPS altitude for terrain following.

RE the mountain, I am not going to be close enough that the difference between the two numbers will matter.

Last edited:
Sorry, just got a bit excited there. :)

For an altitude alerter for ATC altitudes, yes you are correct.

Back