VNC charts for Canada flight

Joegoersch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeGoersch
Thinking about flying up through New York to Mont Laurier Airport (CSD4). I have WingX which does have the airport on the map, but it's near the northern edge of my coverage area, so I'd like to have a paper chart for backup. Even better would be an ipad version (I know Foreflight has them, but like I said, I'm using WingX). Do they sell electronic versions ?

Also, I think I need the Montreal VNC, but I couldn't find any site where I could see the exact area (or lat/long borders) on the Canadian VNCs.

Any thoughts ?

Fltplan go gives you the Canadian charts and it is free.

Thx !!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Any advice? I'm thinking offlying into Ottawa for Canadian customs

Last edited:
Thanks. Any advice? I'm thinking of making at Ottawa for Canadian customs

Advice in general, or specific to your chart question?

If the former, make sure you file your exit EAPIS and (assuming you are a VFR pilot) file a flight plan for the border crossing. When you open the flight plan (I always do that after airborne) they will give you a transponder code to use as you cross the border. Other than that it is relatively painless to fly into Canada. Going the other way pretty well the same thing, but after the EAPIS and flight plan you have to call the US Port of Entry for landing permission BEFORE you take off from Canada heading south.

One issue, if you are using 100LL make sure you check with the airports in Canada for supply. East of Ontario should be okay as that market imports from the USA. The western side of the country is still disrupted from the lack of supply from the only Canadian refinery that produces avgas, Imperial Oil (Exxon) in Edmonton, Alberta. They are still not producing any new supply apparently, and inventories at some western Canadian airports are limited.

Is Ottawa (CYOW) friendly to GA? Seemed like a pretty reasonable landing fee. Good tip about the 100ll. I always like to go X-country with full tanks, but if I can't, I'd rather know ahead of time. Its about a 2.5 hr flight to destination in my Mooney. If I fill up before I go, should be fine to get to Ottawa, destination (CSD4) and back to Port of Entry airport (KRME or KSYR) with plenty of reserve.

I'd go with a smaller more GA airport, chances are customs will consist of you just calling canpass after landing and copying down a confirmation number, also less big airport dog and pony show.

Here's my recommendation for clearing

image.jpg

image.png

Thanks !!! That REALLY helps. I missed the whole Airport of Entry/15 thing. I thought I had to land at CYOW ! That will be a HUGE help. Thanks again !!!

Is Ottawa (CYOW) friendly to GA? Seemed like a pretty reasonable landing fee. Good tip about the 100ll. I always like to go X-country with full tanks, but if I can't, I'd rather know ahead of time. Its about a 2.5 hr flight to destination in my Mooney. If I fill up before I go, should be fine to get to Ottawa, destination (CSD4) and back to Port of Entry airport (KRME or KSYR) with plenty of reserve.
Long time I’v been there at CYOW! you may pay $20 landing fee $50 ramp fee and $10 for nav Canada,I always use CYHU St Hubert and you have no ramp fee just $20 landing fee, and it’s not a problem at all for 100Ll at CYHU.

Back