VN: Tan Son Nhut Airport (1968)

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Forwarded to me by a friend. Probably bring back a lot of good, bad, and indifferent memories for some here.

I was impressed with the number of types. How many can you count? A full list of everything seen in this short video made of DoD film, would be a pretty long list.

http://youtu.be/103kHGjdy9w

For those who were there, Welcome Home. Thanks.

By the way, I got a kick out of the O-2 taxiing in, still in civilian paint. Lovely Cessna goldenrod and white.

There's some interesting stories about how those got there, kicking around the Net. Whether they're true or not, is debatable, since I wasn't there...

Hmmm...I get that it's being blocked in this country due to copyright issues...:dunno:

To bad it's blocked would have liked to see it,may bring back found memories.

Part was shot during Tet. I still get the creeps even after all those years have past.

Paul
Salome, AZ
CW-2 USA Ret
101st Abn Div RVN 1968

'71, '72
Wasn't stationed there. Da Nang, Udorn, other less desirable real estate.
A lifetime ago.

Last edited:
Part was shot during Tet. I still get the creeps even after all those years have past.

Paul
Salome, AZ
CW-2 USA Ret
101st Abn Div RVN 1968

None of us remember those years with fond memories, but I'm pretty much over it. But I did not face the hostel fire you guys did.

For those that didn't catch the post up there and wanted to see it , it plays so far on desktop YouTube ok. Just not mobile devices.

Flying in a war zone is definitely the pits. '72-'73

Did you see how fast that tug will pulling that DC-3 across that intersection? Wow!

Made several 20mm strafing runs in a Navy Douglas A4 Skyhawk under USAF FAC control, immediately adjacent to a long runway there in 1966, with a Pan Am 707 or DC-8 holding in position prior to take off ...a damn circus, I tell ya!

Thank you, Vietnam vets. You were treated like complete shi!s when you got home; and you should have been welcomed back like the warriors for your country that you were!

Thank you, Vietnam vets. You were treated like complete shi!s when you got home; and you should have been welcomed back like the warriors for your country that you were!

Well said!

thank you all.

(Desert Storm vet)

I only have sympathy for those drafted, and even then it's hard to justify immoral actions. Maybe people were treated like monsters, because they were monsters.

I only have sympathy for those drafted, and even then it's hard to justify immoral actions. Maybe people were treated like monsters, because they were monsters.

Second poster I've blocked since being on this board. Congratulations.

Best,

Dave

Wow. What a D-Bag thing to say. You obviously don't know jack about service or honor among the people on here that I call heroes. But maybe I'm all jacked up. Let's check:

1) What do YOU call immoral actions?
2) Define a monster, and what would cause someone to be called as such?
3) Have you ever served? Ever been to war?

Read #3 again, and read it good. If the answer is no, you know nothing of what you are saying here. Good luck.

Weapons free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think Teamcoltra was not intentionally being offensive, and I even think he was trying to be reflective. His views were, as I'm sure you all know, shared by many Americans in the mid-70s.

I hope he understands that he's missed the point that the overwhelming majority of enlisted and draftees who showed up and did their bit for their country were treated like absolute **** when they came home.

The late 60s and early 70s saw a mostly Left-leaning, young antiestablishment movement against a war, which was also seen as wasteful and which resulted in horrible death of Vietnamese and Americans. That sentiment was shared by many, including thousands in the military.

But the fact remains that there were thousands upon thousands of American youth who served with honor and loyalty for their country, and whom, when they came home, were completely demonized for that service. That's not only unacceptable, it also shows a complete misunderstanding of their motivations, and their heroism.

Bottom line, with an incredibly few exceptions, Vietnam vets deserve our heartfelt thanks!

Begging your pardon sir, the monsters were on the other side. You don't know what you are talking about, so I suggest you STFU.

I also suggest you look into what happened after our cowardly "leaders" bugged out. "Killing Fields" would be a good place to start.

Monsters, indeed.

https://www.google.com/#q=killing+fields+skeketons&biv=i%7C0%3Bd%7CpLUXzyjxwJxaFM%3A

Last edited:
Teamcoltra.....that is just stupid/ignorant!! Don't even know if you realize the implications of your statement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Teamcoltra I bet you go to all the Jane Fonda movies. Never forget.

This is nostalgic. We lived near Tan Son Nhut when I was a kid. An uncle was in the VNAF and gave me a tour of the flight line before we left for the US. My fascination with aviation came from watching aircraft flying in and out of this airbase.

Living near here, kids are taught to never run around with a stick pointing up in the sky because one of the Hueys might mistake you for a VC and shoot at you.

Thank you to all who served.

Last edited:

So you have no sympathy for those who were about to be drafted (They had sequential numbers, you know. You knew if you were next in line.) and enlisted to hopefully avoid certain types of duties?

Because that's where my dad found himself. He enlisted in the Navy hoping his scores would garner him a reasonable job where he wouldn't be shot at on a daily basis. For him it worked. For many others it didn't.

He ended up a Fire Control Tech on a helicopter carrier. Radar, missile systems, and nuclear weapons movement qualified. (I get a chuckle out of his nuclear weapons school wall hanger. They don't give stuff like that out anymore...)

He didn't want to be there at all but did his part to protect his shipmates and eventually was quite proud of serving his Country.

The only "monsters" were the politicians who sent them, and many believe they had little choice. Others believe otherwise.

Says absolutely nothing about the folks who WENT, however. They signed up to serve at the pleasure of whom?

On the way home, he "got to" go help minesweep the Suez Canal. Carter sent him there.

Sound like any other never-ending cluster-****s we are still dealing with today in global politics in that region? History repeats.

Signing up to serve doesn't make you a monster. Especially if they were going to draft you anyway.

And it's a hell of a lot more moral than hiding in Canada was. Or behind family money and politicians.

"It ain't me. It ain't me. I ain't no Senator's son."

1000271_10153555250125287_1444179667_n_zps316a3a08.jpg

Sorry to hear all this talk about monsters. I was born in Saigon in the '60s and lived through the Tet offensive.

I can only say "thank you" to all who came over to fight against the true monsters. In hindsight, we find that the politicians and military leadership were poor against a determined Communist force. The strategies sucked, but the fight was just, as most fights against oppression and tyrannies are. Because you lose, doesn't mean your fight was wrong.

Look at the map of the world, prior to 1975, there were very few Vietnamese living anywhere else beside Vietnam. After the "liberation", millions fled the monsters and we now find Vietnamese now living in all corners of the world. People voted with their feet and risked their lives at sea to go anywhere the monsters are not.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear all this talk about monsters. I was born in Saigon in the '60s and lived through the Tet offensive.

I can only say "thank you" to all who came over to fight against the true monsters. In hindsight, we find that the politicians and military leadership were poor against a determined Communist force. The strategies sucked, but the fight was just, as most fights against oppression and tyrannies are. Because you lose, doesn't mean your fight was wrong.

Look at the map of the world, prior to 1975, there were very few Vietnamese living anywhere else beside Vietnam. After the "liberation", millions fled the monsters and we now find Vietnamese now living in all corners of the world. People voted with their feet and risked their lives at sea to go anywhere the monsters are not.

You are welcome.

And I apologize that you were abandoned by the people who promised to help you and then did the politically expedient thing.

Because you lose, doesn't mean your fight was wrong.

Best quote I've seen in a long time. Thank you for posting.

I never intended this thread to turn into a debate on whether or not we should have been there or not. I felt sorry it went that way -- right up until this post.

That quote is going to get some miles from me if you don't mind me borrowing it. Probably not for life or death struggles, but it's so poignant for many things.

Back