Viveca has arrived...

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
and she brought Joe with her. :D

We had an interesting time at the airport with the Cirrus, and that is all I'm going to say about that.

Joe offered to mow tomorrow, so he will likely be out on the runways riding the John Deere.

We're having a great time at the farm. Very different from Los Angeles, and perfect for us.

Lots of weather between here and Detroit which is our next stop, but we don't have to be there until Saturday.

Joe

We're having a great time at the farm. Very different from Los Angeles, and perfect for us.

Lots of weather between here and Detroit which is our next stop, but we don't have to be there until Saturday.

Joe

Aren't you coming to Gaston's????

Aren't you coming to Gaston's????

Lance, we're trying hard to convince him to come...still a possibility. :fcross:

The problem is that we have to be in Detroit on Saturday for a second wedding reception for my family that didn't come to California. If we don't show up we may not be allowed east of the Mississippi again.

Diane & Tom are leaving Thursday for Gaston's and if the weather looks iffy north we'll tag along for a day. We both wish we could stay for the weekend.

Joe

Joe, have fun on that tractor. Just think of it as slow flight. :D

Joe of course you will be allowed east of the Mississippi if you guy don't show up. You and Viveca are always welcome at my house. :D

Joe, have fun on that tractor. Just think of it as slow flight. :D
He got checked out in it this afternoon and will solo tomorrow. :D Otherwise he has been on the computer a lot today. :D Of course, it TAKES all day when you're on dial-up. :yes:

He got checked out in it this afternoon and will solo tomorrow. :D Otherwise he has been on the computer a lot today. :D Of course, it TAKES all day when you're on dial-up. :yes:

:D:D:D

Tell him that he's supposed to be enjoying his honeymoon, not staying on the computer.

Tell him that he's supposed to be enjoying his honeymoon, not staying on the computer.
:D

Well, it's been an interesting evening with severe storms and tornado warnings. We spent some time in the closets. Joe and Viveca seem to be taking it well.

Diana....Joe....I heard there were storms out that way. You guys ok? Are your planes ok?

I guess we'll find out about the planes tomorrow...we finally got the Cirrus in a hangar yesterday. I'll let Joe tell "the rest of the story". ;)

It's been a busy day at the farm. Joe and Viveca have been working hard trying to earn their keep. :D They've had a lot of "firsts" here. :yes:

The satellite internet connection is completely worthless and Joe and I have been taking turns with the dial-up connection, so neither of us has had time to post much here.

Here is a picture of Joe at work today. He took to mowing the runways like a duck to water. :yes:

Attachments

• Joe and Viveca June 2 011 40.JPG
    Joe and Viveca June 2 011 40.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 42
What a GREAT pic!

Slow flight, indeed!!! :D

I'm putting it in my logbook! 2.3 hrs, ground in John Deere 420, mowing runways. (No I won't count it as flight time or total time).

Joe

Good idea Joe! Hay (pun intended), Honda is building airplanes... not too far fetched to imagine a John Deere aircraft! Of course, we all know what colors it would be available in.

Good idea Joe! Hay (pun intended), Honda is building airplanes... not too far fetched to imagine a John Deere aircraft! Of course, we all know what colors it would be available in.

Hmmm...coming back from Key West after Memorial Day weekend I heard a plane with John Deere 237 or something like that for a call sign...made me wonder if they were already IN aviation....

Most of my computer time is spent looking for weather that won't kill us. Viveca is OK with that.

Joe sure has funny looking ears... not that there's anything wrong with that.
I think Diana has a whole collection of pictures of me that could pay for her retirement if I were rich.

This is one of the flattering ones.

Joe

Most of my computer time is spent looking for weather that won't kill us. Viveca is OK with that.

Well, yes, I could see that. :) Fly safely: I'm gonna need help with an IR if I ever get past this darned PPL. (Shooting for a checkride in July, hopefully.)

I think Diana has a whole collection of pictures of me that could pay for her retirement if I were rich.

This is one of the flattering ones.

Joe

I quite liked it.

The problem is that we have to be in Detroit on Saturday for a second wedding reception for my family that didn't come to California. If we don't show up we may not be allowed east of the Mississippi again.

That's OK Joe, Gaston's is west of the Mississippi. :yes: :D

Oh yea. Diana is FAMOUS for taking flattering photos. Fortunately for me she only posts the best of the worst.
Sometimes I'm clueless. :D If I think you look OK I don't understand why you don't think you look OK. :D

But, I have pictures of Joe that I am certain that he won't think it's OK and, as he said, might be good for some quick cash. :D

Then there was that other stuff on the black screen. :dunno: :cheerswine:

I quite liked it.
I have more...like pictures of Joe going...lots of coming and going. :yes: Then he had to go back and fix that patch that he missed. ;)

Brian, wouldn't it be fun if we could get you out here to hop on the old tractor and mow the runways. :yes: We were thinking of starting up a business of letting people actually pay us to mow our runways. :D :no: ;)

Then there was that other stuff on the black screen. :dunno: :cheerswine:

I have more...like pictures of Joe going...lots of coming and going. :yes: Then he had to go back and fix that patch that he missed. ;)

Brian, wouldn't it be fun if we could get you out here to hop on the old tractor and mow the runways. :yes: We were thinking of starting up a business of letting people actually pay us to mow our runways. :D :no: ;)

Oh, it'll happen sooner or later. How is, say, January for mowing? :D

Oh, it'll happen sooner or later. How is, say, January for mowing? :D
Cold and crunchy, but we provide extra clothing and boots for a nominal fee. :D But, for you Brian, it will be almost free and we'll toss in some hot chocolate with marshmallows. :D Are you any good at using a chain saw? ;)

Cold and crunchy, but we provide extra clothing and boots for a nominal fee. :D But, for you Brian, it will be almost free and we'll toss in some hot chocolate with marshmallows. :D Are you any good at using a chain saw? ;)

Well, I can do woodworking and I own a fair number of saws -- table saw, band saw, miter saw, various corded and battery-powered saws and a variety of hand saws -- but I've never picked up a chain saw in my life.

So I think we can safely say that I suck at using a chain saw. :D

Well, I can do woodworking and I own a fair number of saws -- table saw, band saw, miter saw, various corded and battery-powered saws and a variety of hand saws -- but I've never picked up a chain saw in my life.

So I think we can safely say that I suck at using a chain saw. :D

Brian,

As far as I know chain saws are not used for precise cuts. They used to turn big things into smaller things. As long as you don't loose any body parts in the process you're considered good at it. To be considered really good you have to do it dangling from a ladder using it with one hand, in other words crazier than a loon.

Joe

Brian,

As far as I know chain saws are not used for precise cuts. They used to turn big things into smaller things. As long as you don't loose any body parts in the process you're considered good at it. To be considered really good you have to do it dangling from a ladder using it with one hand, in other words crazier than a loon.

Joe

Huh... well, what do you know? Maybe I would be good at it. :D

Well Diana and Tom were excellent hosts again. Thank you.

We made it to Detroit, and had a great flight. Horrible storms just north of our destination cooperated well and moved about 75 miles away by the time we got there. We had a total of .1 actual and perhaps 5 min of moderate turbulence.

Total on the trip so far is 1835 nm.

Joe

I guess we'll find out about the planes tomorrow...we finally got the Cirrus in a hangar yesterday. I'll let Joe tell "the rest of the story". ;)

Would that be the same hangar that we tried to put my Commander in, but found that it was way too small? :confused:

Would that be the same hangar that we tried to put my Commander in, but found that it was way too small? :confused:

No it wasn't too small but it was tight. Problem was I was so neurotic about lining up the wings that I forgot to put the metal plates over the breaks in the asphalt and we got stuck in the ditch.

Big production to get it out, but we did with no damage.

Joe

Go ahead. None of my partners are on this board, I think.

I'm still working on that story.

Joe
I'll let you explain these. :)

Attachments

• Truck pulling the Cirrus.jpg
    Truck pulling the Cirrus.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 37
  • Backing it up.jpg
    Backing it up.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 37
I'm not sure any explanation is necessary (or possible). The only question is whether or not I show them to my partners in the airplane.

Joe

LOL... I'd vote "no"... it's kinder that way. :D

LOL... I'd vote "no"... it's kinder that way. :D
This is an example of how helpful local pilots are to someone from out of town. These guys were cropdusters who were waiting for the winds to die down, or new fungus or aphids or army worms or something like that. They worked for hours trying to help Joe. It was pretty neat really...except for the part where Joe...............

Back