Visual Field Question

nab101eg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
IWRBF
I got my PPL many years ago but was inactive for a long time. I am finally flying again! Several years ago, I had a non-flying accident and lost a small amount of peripheral vision in one eye. I disclosed that when getting my Medical and, not surprisingly, the FAA required an updated visual field test. The test showed that my vision was no worse (maybe even slightly better) and the doctor's notes were nothing damaging at all. I am, however, being required to make an appt with an FAA Inspector and must take a Medical Flight Test - "because of visual field defect". Does anyone know what the standards are that I will likely be tested on? In other words, what I must be able to demonstrate? I can use common sense and hopefully have a pretty good idea, but I am guessing that they stick to a regimen. I should add that this is for a third-class medical. Any advice is appreciated.

If your vision really was as good or better than before, it's unlikely the FAA would require a Special Medical Flight Test. I suspect there is some negative change in your field of vision reported on that 8500-7 which triggered this action. As for what to expect, see the procedure linked below, and look for the vision-related procedures, probably similar to those for a one-eyed pilot.

http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V05 Airman Cert/Chapter 08/05_008_001Rev1.htm

I think Ron is incorrect. This is a condition which is non-normal, but clearly static. Tht is exactly the sort of condition that results in a Medical Flight Check.

The usual "abnormal visual field" medical check ride is about 0.3. It includes: spotting traffic in the pattern and about the FSDO's airport, choosing an appropriate emergency landing field, and doing a landing or two.

DO remember that this ride is open to the inspector challenging any part of your capbility as a PVT ASEL. As a rule, though, if you bring no cause for their alarm (the outcome of the maneuver is NEVER in doubt), they don't ask for other stuff.

But if your a sub par and obviously so, expect to be wrung out.

Thank you Dr. Bruce. Yes, I too belive that Ron is mistaken. All of the paperwork has flowed through me and I obviously I visited with the eye doc during the exam. There was no deterioration noted. However, this is the first Med that I have sought since the accident that resulted in the slight field of vision loss. It is understandable that the test is being requested and I have no problem with it...just asking a few questions to insure that I prepare accordingly.

For Bruce: If there is no loss of field of vision, why would they order the SMFT? Note that the OP's most recent post says there was such a loss.

In any event, what Bruce described ("spotting traffic in the pattern and about the FSDO's airport, choosing an appropriate emergency landing field, and doing a landing or two") is pretty much what I guessed:
4) Observe an applicant with a visual defect (one eye missing or one eye blind) demonstrate the following in an aircraft:

· The ability to select emergency landing fields at a distance, from high altitude, and preferably over unfamiliar terrain.
· The ability to simulate forced landings in difficult fields; note the manner of approach, rate of descent, and comparative distance at which obstructions (stumps, boulders, ditches, etc.) are recognized.
· The ability to recognize other aircraft (which may be present by prearrangement) approaching at a collision course (particularly aircraft approaching from the far right or far left).
· The ability to judge distances and to recognize landmarks (compared with the ASI's estimate).
· The ability to land the aircraft.
· The ability to read aeronautical charts in flight and tune the radio to a predetermined station accurately and rapidly.
· The ability to read instrument panels (including an overhead panel, if any) quickly and correctly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back