Visual Approaches

jdwatson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JDW
A recent thread in [THREAD=9605]Pilot Training[/THREAD] debating Visual Approaches got me to thinking. One, let's move the discussion here so other IFR pilots can benefit and two, can a pilot initiate a visual approach ? My reading of AIM 5-4-22 & 5-5-11 leads me think that only ATC can initiate a visual approach under IFR.

:yes: or :no: ?

Last edited:
Jeffrey:

Except in the cruise clearance scenario, are not all approaches assigned by ATC. You can always ask for a particular approach. I could not link to the article you refer to, but here are my thoughts on visual approaches.

First you should recognize that merely telling ATC that you have the airport in sight will generally be sufficient to prompt them to issue the visual because it shifts much of the safety burden from them to you, allows them to ignore spacing rules and move more traffic and generally makes ATC's life easier, all at your expense - except where it will truly save you time and money.

I accept them when my personal visual approach mins are met. These are 3000' ceiling and 5 miles vis and the RUNWAY (not the airport unless I am very familiar with the airport) in sight and reasonably close to the airport (generally around five miles but again if I am very familiar with the airport I may accept further out). The moment you accept the visual you are essentially on your own. Before giving up all of the protections associated with IFR flight I am VERY certain a) I have the correct runway in sight, b) I understand the traffic situation at the airport and c) there is some value to me.

Example with value: landing runway 1 only available approach is the ndb to runway 18 circle to runway 1 AND I'm not approaching from the north.

Example with no value: landing runway 1. I'm already aligned with the ILS runway 1 and there will be no significant delay in being cleared for the approach.

I have similar criteria for cancelling IFR in flight. I will reluctantly do so if it is to my benefit (or perhaps other air traffic, but never solely for the controller's benefit).

I understand that my view on this isssue is VERY conservative.

Doesnt sound all that conservative to me Arnold. Sounds about how I feel about it. I know some do their best for ATC to get them as low as possible, then request the visual if they break out, to try to save a few minutes. Not my style.

ATC may initiate a visual, and the pilot may request it. Either party may decline the other's offer to play, although if the pilot declines ATC's offer, the result may be a delay (perhaps substantial) in getting the clearance for the SIAP which buggers ATC's planned flow. OTOH, contact approaches may only be initiated by the pilot; ATC can't mention them unless the pilot brings it up, although I've heard them hint once or twice ("Cessna 123, visual approach not feasible, is there any other request you'd like to make to expedite your arrival?").

Sometimes the suggestion is subtle. This was my conversation with SA Approach last week:

"San Antonio Approach, (MyCall), 3 thousand, direct Stinson Airport"
"(MyCall), San Antonio, cleared for the visual approach Runway 14 Stinson"
"San Antonio, (MyCall) cleared visual 14"
"(MyCall), San Antonio, be advised there is a level 2 rain shower north east of Stinson, do you still want the visual?"
"San Antonio, (MyCall), affirmative - I see the cell and will have no problem maintaining full visual conditions for the entire approach to 14"
"Roger (MyCall), contact Stinson Tower 118.2".

There was a hint in there somewhere, but conditions didn't warrant a request for a contact approach. As it was, I would have been able to maintain basic VMC to the ground if I were not under IFR.

I did consider requesting a contact approach on my way up to Tyler last month, but the holes in the clouds were just not big enough to allow me to drop in. So I took the GPS approach instead, and I was quite glad that I did.

Visual approaches can be given by ATC. Often if the ceilings are high enough or the vis good enough ATC will tell you to expect the 'visual' to runway XXX.

You might be thinking of contact approaches which are a type of visual approach but those can only be initiated by the pilot.

Back