Vista

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
If I were to buy a new computer now, should I avoid ones loaded with Vista and try to find one that still has XP or is Vista OK at this point.

Also, somewhere I read that older (pre-Vista) MS Office products would not work on Vista. That if you went to Vista, you also were lokking at buying whatever the newest version of MS Office is. That can't possibly be true can it???

"Recent" versions of Office and such run just fine on Vista. You can actually get an application that will check your current system and software for Vista readiness. Look on Microsoft's website.

Not a techie by any stretch but I can tell you my techie buddy just bought a new Dell with Vista. Apparently Dell won't sell a new computer with anything but Vista on it. He says its a nightmare. Many of the programs he uses at his office won't work with vista. But we may not have much of a choice soon. As I understand MS will no longer support MS2000 Will XP be next?

Buy a machine with Media Center on it... it doesn't appear there is a Vista version of it available at this time.

Buy a machine with Media Center on it... it doesn't appear there is a Vista version of it available at this time.
Media Center is included in both Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate.

Media Center is included in both Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate.
I hadn't noticed that in any of the machines advertised. And, HP hasn't made any changes to their Media Center boxes. All the Vista boxes simply show Vista. You'd think they would push that in the new software to get folks to buy it. I got a new HP Media Center box a while back. I'm glad I bought it when I did. I'm not fond of jumping to a new OS when everything else I have is XP.

Also, somewhere I read that older (pre-Vista) MS Office products would not work on Vista. That if you went to Vista, you also were lokking at buying whatever the newest version of MS Office is. That can't possibly be true can it???

Sure it could... This *is* Microsoft we're talking about. They have a history of doing such things. Gotta get more money you know, ol' Billy doesn't have enough of it.

But, as noted, not entirely true. Check carefully tho...

If I were to buy a new computer now, should I avoid ones loaded with Vista and try to find one that still has XP or is Vista OK at this point.

There hasn't been a new release of MS Office products since the release of Vista. All the applications I have tested seem fine. That includes, Word, Excel, Adobe Reader, etc. I haven't tested Access which is the most fragile Office application. There is a new version of Outlook and a new version of Internet Explorer bundled with Vista. IE takes some getting used to. I've only tested Outlook to the extent that I can send e-mail with it.

I hadn't noticed that in any of the machines advertised. And, HP hasn't made any changes to their Media Center boxes. All the Vista boxes simply show Vista. You'd think they would push that in the new software to get folks to buy it. I got a new HP Media Center box a while back. I'm glad I bought it when I did. I'm not fond of jumping to a new OS when everything else I have is XP.

Not sure why they wouldn't advertise it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/mediacenter.mspx

microsoft said:
But with Windows Vista, Windows Media Center is no longer a separate edition but simply integrated within the Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate editions.

Not a techie by any stretch but I can tell you my techie buddy just bought a new Dell with Vista. Apparently Dell won't sell a new computer with anything but Vista on it. He says its a nightmare. Many of the programs he uses at his office won't work with vista. But we may not have much of a choice soon. As I understand MS will no longer support MS2000 Will XP be next?

OH, yeah. They'll eventually pull this stunt. it always says "Stop supporting as opposed to the great support I now.....?' What support do you get from Microsoft now? Try to find a free support phone number at Microsoft.

When they stop putting out security patches that will be a factor, but they haven't done that for Windows 98 and there are still many, many millions of people using it.

The point is, XP doesn't stop working because MS says you must buy the next one.

Vista BTW, CAN stop working. We know that it has a useless mode that it will go into if you don't activate it in 30 days or if it thinks it hasn't been activated or if an alleged killl switch is hit. Read the EULA for the Microsoft Media Player and you'll see they reserve the right to delete your data if they deem you shouldn't have it.

OH, yeah. They'll eventually pull this stunt. it always says "Stop supporting as opposed to the great support I now.....?' What support do you get from Microsoft now? Try to find a free support phone number at Microsoft.
Perhaps for the home user. This is not the case for everyone. I'm sorry but if I was in charge of a large enterprise enviorment I would not run an unsupported piece of software. If something goes wrong and there isn't support it'd be back to the ramen noodles. Not only that most corporate policies wouldn't allow it to be used after support was dropped.

mikea said:
When they stop putting out security patches that will be a factor, but they haven't done that for Windows 98 and there are still many, many millions of people using it.
Yes they have. Windows ME too. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/gp/lifean18

mikea said:
The point is, XP doesn't stop working because MS says you must buy the next one.
No it doesn't. But it does get very hard to purchase and life does become difficult for Microsoft System Builders. First off as soon as the release date comes out they start calling and pressuring you into Vista. After this they will pull the availability of Windows XP OEM licenses. Now you are forced into buying Vista. Of course you can purchase Vista and downgrade to XP (Microsoft's excuse) but doing this increases your production time per system by at least 30 minutes as you must manually activate each XP system over the phone and attempt to explain to some idiot in India that you are downgrading. What I'm saying--is life becomes very hard for us system builders. It also becomes very costly to sell XP. Even if we were to downgrade Vista and install XP we would not legally be able to give the customer XP installation media.

mikea said:
Vista BTW, CAN stop working. We know that it has a useless mode that it will go into if you don't activate it in 30 days or if it thinks it hasn't been activated or if an alleged killl switch is hit.
So can XP.

mikea said:
Read the EULA for the Microsoft Media Player and you'll see they reserve the right to delete your data if they deem you shouldn't have it.
Ok Mike. Here is the EULA. This part of it is for the URGE service which you CAN uninstall
badeula said:
The Software is also capable of monitoring itself to detect tampering or other security-related activities and has the ability to automatically transmit and communicate information about attempted tampering and other security incidents. The Software and certain applications that communicate with the Software may become restricted, de-activated or inoperable if you breach this EULA, any security or other rules or any of the digital rights applicable to the Content. You acknowledge and agree this can, and often shall, result in Content being unavailable to you.

Of course Apple is not a whole lot better with the legal mumble jumbo. If you choose to use the Music store, just like you would CHOOSE to use Urge..
itunes_store_eula said:
20. Changes. Apple reserves the right, at any time and from time to time, to update, revise, supplement, and otherwise modify this Agreement and to impose new or additional rules, policies, terms, or conditions on your use of the Service. Such updates, revisions, supplements, modifications, and additional rules, policies, terms, and conditions (collectively referred to in this Agreement as "Additional Terms") will be effective immediately and incorporated into this Agreement. Your continued use of the iTunes Music Store following will be deemed to constitute your acceptance of any and all such Additional Terms. All Additional Terms are hereby incorporated into this Agreement by this reference.

Last of all....

itunes_eula said:
Without limiting the foregoing, under no circumstances shall 3Com be held liable for any delay or failure in performance resulting directly or indirectly from acts of nature, forces, or causes beyond its reasonable control, including, without limitation, Internet failures, computer equipment failures, telecommunication equipment failures, other equipment failures, electrical power failures, strikes, labor disputes, riots, insurrections, civil disturbances, shortages of labor
or materials, fires, floods, storms, explosions, acts of God, war, governmental actions, orders of domestic or foreign courts or tribunals, non-performance of third parties, or loss of or fluctuations in heat, light, or air conditioning.
I *should* have the right to sue 3com/Apple about fluctuations in my air conditioning.

Back