Vista Review [NA]

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Folks -

I know some of you have reviewed Vista lately. I must give a presentation to our management on it next week. Would you help me out by looking at what I have so far and make comments?
http://www.auntpeggy.com/Vista/Vista0.html
BTW, if pages display with overlapping boxes, just scroll away and come back. (It's the peekaboo bug IE 7 says it has fixed.)

- Aunt Peggy

BTW, if pages display with overlapping boxes, just scroll away and come back. (It's the peekaboo bug IE 7 says it has fixed.)
What do they call it when firefox does it?

jangell said:
Check your code. You have a number of errors that are causing this to display improperly for me in Firefox 1.5.0.7
I took the attributes out of the end tags and added a doctype, but Firefox still is having problems with CSS. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Sigh

BTW, if you WERE able to read the content, I'd like comments on that.

- Aunt Peggy

Peg,

I have not seen Vista and learned quite a bit from the presentation.

I'm unsure of the user interface changes. They seem to be a lot more fluff than substance but time will tell.

The security features are the most interesting.

Except for the notes on how security features interfere with your package did you note any incompatibilities with XP version of programs?

How about hardware requirements? I understand they are significantly more restrictive, but I have no hard info.

Nitpicking:
vista2.html is it breadcrimbs or breadcrumbs?

vista3.html:
Joe

ps. I used IE6 had to reload the first page then everything worked fine. Mozilla didn't work.

pps I have no idea why those things are underlined

Last edited:
Once again, thanks for the critique. Fixed the CSS and now displays better on 3 browsers including Firefox 1.5.0.7, IE 6.0, and IE 7.0 + ON MY MACHINES.

Windows 6 = XP? Yes

Will fix the typos/braindead over the weekend.

Will double-check requirements and add.

Underlined text is a link back to POA?.

- Peggy

AuntPeggy said:
Underlined text is a link back to POA?.

Which is interesting as I typed that text in without any http://'s or doing anything special with the buttons???

Joe

Areeda said:
Which is interesting as I typed that text in without any http://'s or doing anything special with the buttons???

Joe
Did you copy & paste the text into your post?

Greebo said:
Did you copy & paste the text into your post?
Perhaps I C & P'ed the "Although IE 7..." I'm not sure. But I definetely typed the Joe line.

On Vista1.html, I'm nclear what is meant by "wordless bead", and the accomanying graphic doesn't seem to answer that.

The graphics seem too compressed to be fully readable, at least on my laptop (1280x800). Perhaps you could make them clickable to a larger image?

When you're fixing Joe's Breadcrimbs, you might want to change "systen" to "system".

On Vista3.html talking about RSS feeds, you say "nust in case"

Not a comment about your slides, but about the OS:

Putting Logoff next to Shutdown and not requiring a confirmation prior to shutdown seems to be a poor choice, IMHO. Perhaps it's not a simple matter of a slip of the mouse to select one as oposed to the other; its hard to tell without trying it.

On "Mixed Content" (Vista3.html), you don't indicate whether they've added the ability for the user to "opt out" of the warning message, as they can so many others. From a system administration standpoint, it makes no sense to encrypt non-sensitive graphics, given the high CPU costs of doing so. Yeah, it's not particularly germaine to your slides; I'm just interested.

"Help is hiding at the right edge of the ribbon under a chevron symbol." Ugh! That's exactly where a neophyte user who needs assistance is going to look for it. NOT!

The only overall comment I have is that it is more geared to something that people will look through themselves than to a presentation, where you would probably only want to include bullet points you can talk to.I generally find that management, especially higher up, wants fewer details and more bottom line. But you have to be ready with the details in case they hear something they want to delve into! But you obviously know your management much better than I do, so act accordingly.

All nitpicking aside, it's a great article! Good job!

BTW, I had no problems with Firefox 1.5.0.7.

Nice report!

While you are fixing things, on the second page, change "principal" to "principle."

Our applications do not use Active Search. As users learn to appreciate Active Search, we will begin to feel pressure to incorporate the same principal.

Back