Vista Explorer

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
Having an issue with Windows Explorer in Vista.

It locks up, i.e.. trying to "restore" a program from your task bar. Nothing happens, get an error and "let windows search for a solution and restart the program" and it does. Works again for a few minutes maybe and same error again and again.
Thought it was limited to when I had Firefox open, but that isn't the case. Doing it now when I have about any two programs open.
Only way to stop it is to reboot and it may go five minutes or sometimes hours and not do it again.
Anyone have a solution or an idea as to what is causing this?

Thanks

Mark B

Edit: Am up to date on all windows updates.

Last edited:
Mark,
Just to beat some here to the punch, I'll ask if you've tried a Mac?:rofl: It'll solve all your problems!:fcross:

Does it identify the program that it is trying to restore to the task bar?

Does it identify the program that it is trying to restore to the task bar?

Windows Explorer. Basically my task bar is "locked up" when I try to restore a window. Then get the screen "let windows look for a solution and restart the program".

For SOME reason it was really bad yesterday. Only thing I had open was Word and it was doing it then. Did it probably five times, then "quit" and has been fine for the last several hours.

If I could find ONE program that would cause it, I could do something, but right now it doesn't seem to matter what the program is that I have open.

I am starting to think it is something running "in the background" but no clue as to what it could be. I start VERY few programs at the start up, intentionally at least.

Thanks

Mark B

It's probably a file security issue or a currupted explorer.exe. Since it is intermittent, suggest you jump over to tek-tips.com

You'll probably have to create a user account, but then folks over there seem to be able to quickly find the relevant microsoft links. There are numerous forums too. So search the forums for Vista, then search in that forum and see what you can dig up. You'll most likely find the info there. Their FAQ also says you should run virus/hijack scans before posting.

Back