Vista and peripherals

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
SUCK!

My network printer is not working on the Vista machine...AGAIN! It is like ever couple of weeks the damn machine losses functionality when trying to talk to the printer. Each time if I reinstall all the drivers then it works again. Or at least for a few weeks. I don't know what it is about Vista but you would think with all the fixes M$ pushes each week one of them would be to fix the dman computer form losing its print drivers.

SUCK!

My network printer is not working on the Vista machine...AGAIN! It is like ever couple of weeks the damn machine losses functionality when trying to talk to the printer. Each time if I reinstall all the drivers then it works again. Or at least for a few weeks. I don't know what it is about Vista but you would think with all the fixes M$ pushes each week one of them would be to fix the dman computer form losing its print drivers.

You can always throw the Windows 7 RC on it :D

You can always throw the Windows 7 RC on it :D

I second this, the Windows 7 RC1 is excellent. Very polished, and I haven't had any issues with it so far, and I'm using x64.

But if you don't want to do that, you could always Vlite your copy of Vista. I have my Vista set to the bare minimum, no bullcrap. Very functional. I use that on my second hard drive.

http://www.vlite.net/

SUCK!

Buy a... Oh wait! ;) Use it! :yes:

Buy a... Oh wait! ;) Use it! :yes:
Actually what I did to get the scan was use my MAC. The problem is that the computer that gets used the most on the home network is a PC running VISTA. I will be upgrading the computer to a MAC but not for a couple of years yet.

It annoys me that I cannot get the printer/scanner to work on the Vista computer but it works fine on the MAC and on my work laptop which is running Windows XP Pro. It goes to show what a POS Vista really is.

Which printer? What server environment?

BTW, Windows 7 is probably the best flavor of Windows I've played with to date.

I primarily use my Mac for everything, but my laptop, my gf's laptop, and my gfs desktop (that I built for her) are all running dual boots of Linux and Windows 7 at the moment.

How tough is it to install Win 7 RC on a box? I'd like to play with it.

If you use the RC they'll let you buy the retail version for half-price when it hits.

I built up a new machine and loaded the Windows 7 RC 64 bit. I'm pleasantly surprised at how stable it is. I had a little trouble getting my speakers to work correctly and I had an issue with the XP mode freezing but a change in the network setting for the VM fixed that.

I loaded the XP mode because I was anticipating problems with software but so far I haven't had any issues with any of the software I normally use. I even have CatiaV5 CAD software loaded on here and it's working fine. No problem with spaceball drivers or any other drivers for that matter.

I've been a very vocal critic of Microsoft and their buggy releases. I like what I see with Win 7 so far. I might even take them up on that discounted upgrade.

Jean

SUCK!

Aha!!!! Me too. Same problem. I thought I had done something stupid. I guess it was upgrading to vista.

Of course. Figures.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition. They offer NO upgrade discount to Windows 7 Ultimate.... $219.99, full retail. I guess that's what I get for using the highest version of their product? I should have gone cheap and stayed cheap. :mad3:
But do you need to STAY with Ultimate? They list only two bullet points under Ultimate that aren't under the others:

• Help protect your data on your PC and portable storage devices against loss or theft with BitLocker.
  • Work in the language of your choice or switch between any of thirty-five languages.
So the question is whether they're worth $120. Note that these are pre-order prices and don't seem to depend on what your upgrading from.

Last edited:
Back