Visiting other airports?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
Years ago, back in the 1970s, my girlfriend and I were driving back to San Diego from Las Vegas. We were using her car, an older BMW and we started having some sort of engine problem. It was so long ago, I can not remember what the problem was.

We pulled into Baker, California around five or six in the afternoon. We drove down the main drag until we came to an auto repair place and pulled in. About five "good ol boys" we hanging out, drinking beer. I got out of the car to explain the problem and one of them said," Get that foreign piece of **** off my lot." he then, along with his buddies, started walking to wards us, he was holding a ball peen hammer.

Although I am ex airborne and have enjoyed several bar brawls in my youth, I decided that was not the time. We left somewhat quickly and drove to a service station where the problem was corrected. Since that episode, I have always felt uncomfortable about Baker California, and seldom stop there.

So, getting to the point. We always hear about great airports to stop at, what about the ones to avoid, if there are any? Have you had bad experiences at one particular airport that would make you reluctant to recommend it? Bad food, rip off prices, thievery, bad runways, etc.

John

Last edited:
Airnav.com has decent reports on airfields as well as adventurepilot.com

I've never heard of an airport that gives folks the kind of reception you got at that idiot's place of business... only thing that ever came close was in the book Flight of Passage when the kids stopped at the crop duster field... :eek:

Airnav.com has decent reports on airfields as well as adventurepilot.com

Looking more for the stories than the reports. It's the yarns that make hanger flying enjoyable. Although it would be handy to know of any place that would be bad to land at, I can't imagine many pilots wanting to condemn any particular airport, now that I've given it some thought.

John

Lynchburg, VA - Falwell Aviation - Went to LYH to attend a family reunion. Arranged for a rental car through Falwell. When we arrived, no rental car so the lineman called Hertz to get one delivered. Then I arranged to have my plane fueled and specifically asked to have the plane tied down. Arrived back the next day to leave and found the plane in the same spot, not tied down and not fueled. The linemen were very polite and nice about their service, but did not do what was requested.

Just before Christmas - 9A5 - Lafayette, GA. Landed and was out of fuel. No Notam to that effect. More fuel expected in the morning. Nice folks though
Same trip - Flew to Dalton, GA - Out of fuel. More fuel expected in the morning.
CZL - Calhoun, GA - They had fuel. The nice folks at Dalton called and checked for me.

Hilton Head Island - HXD - Landed there twice. Obvious that they preferred kerosene burners. 30 gallons in a 182RG was not that important to them.

The Best? BMG - Absolutely the best service I have ever received at any FBO. Ever. No one has ever come close.

Any place that Signature is the only FBO on the field?

Best so far was Lane Aviation at CMH. The worst? Probably BKL. The courtesy car went to a group of businessmen who landed after I did, they charged me an exorbitant ramp fee for the privilege of tying my airplane down for two hours, plus two weeks later came the bill from the Port Authority.

Best so far was Lane Aviation at CMH. The worst? Probably BKL. The courtesy car went to a group of businessmen who landed after I did, they charged me an exorbitant ramp fee for the privilege of tying my airplane down for two hours, plus two weeks later came the bill from the Port Authority.

You used the wrong FBO. Use the one at the west end of the field! They shuttled me into town for free, gave me a card to call them when I needed to be picked up. Been in there 3 or 4 times with no issue.

Hmmm, airnav only shows one FBO now. There used to be two. I always used Avitat or whatever it used to be called.

This was in March '05 I believe. There might have been two FBOs, but what did I know at the time? I think the one I used was Million Air... never again. :frown2:

My personal favorite is Cutter in ELP. I've been there many times and never had less than a great experience. The linemen are on the ball and tend just as quickly to LL planes as kerosene burners. The desk staff is very helpful (and fairly cute), and the van will take you pretty much anywhere (airline terminal, hotels, restaurants, etc). They took through the Wendy's drive through a few times and even about 10mins down the road for mexican once. They have a great rest/tv room, and a large wx room with multiple computers running WSI and charts for the whole country. Not to mention ELP is a cool airport.

Of course, I should mention Hap's Air Service at AMW, they're pretty good too. :yes:

Any place that Signature is the only FBO on the field?

The only airport I wouldn't return to is KMKE, because of $ignature. $46 just for showing up in a piston single, and that won't even buy you the time of day from any of the staff. :mad2:

I was very happy with the excellent treatment at Landmark at KAVL, even though we were a Cessna single, we were treated as if we'd walked off a Gulfstream. Highly recommended.

This was in March '05 I believe. There might have been two FBOs, but what did I know at the time? I think the one I used was Million Air... never again. :frown2:

Yeah, I was there after that. Maybe end of the year 05. I called MillionAir and they were total ******s. I used the other one. Even posted on AirNav about it. But only one FBO now, who knows which one it is.

i paid 126 bucks at signature in St. Louis one night for 10 minutes on their ramp to drop off a passenger and his one bag. that was pretty neat.

Yeah, I was there after that. Maybe end of the year 05. I called MillionAir and they were total ******s. I used the other one. Even posted on AirNav about it. But only one FBO now, who knows which one it is.

Next time I drive past there I'll take a look. FWIW, Avitat was in the grey building to the East, Millionaire (or for some reason I'm remembering the Business Aircraft Center?) was in the green-roofed building in the middle, then the city ramp is to the west.

We travel far more by car than by air, but I learned years ago that airports are the best place to take a stretch and a potty break, whether they're 'inhabited' or not. When it's time for a rest stop I always check the GPS to see if we've got a small airport close by.

The worst I ever dealt with was at KBED I think it was Signature. We were in a lance doing and Angel Flight. I was lucky they let me breath the air in the building. Signature at KBOS however treated us fantastic in the Lance, In a Seneca and a 182. Go Figure.

atlantic @ FRG

Their prices fluctuate by the hour depending on the clerk behind the counter. keep your reciepts, they have tried to double bill me more times than i can remember over the past 5 years. I end up faxing my pay stub to their business office to prove my case. I don't have the time for that. Now I go elsewhere.

The worst I ever dealt with was at KBED I think it was Signature. We were in a lance doing and Angel Flight. I was lucky they let me breath the air in the building. Signature at KBOS however treated us fantastic in the Lance, In a Seneca and a 182. Go Figure.
That's funny, Signature KBOS is one of my least favorite FBOs. Recently I got good service at KBED but that was at Jet Aviation. Part of the reason might have been that we were the only airplane on the ramp. That's as empty as I've ever seen it.

Back