Visiting a Therapist

T

ThatFlyer_Guy

Hey there, I had a quick question because I've been giving some different opinions. A while back I started seeing a therapist, just to help manage work/life/relationship stress. I don't take any medications and I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but I was told by an AME that I need to report seeing my therapist. However, I've seen on the FAA's website that these sessions are "non-reportable." So, are they our are they not? Kinda confused about what to do for my next medical.

If you're paying out of pocket, I wouldn't say a thing. That is a huge potential can of worms that is best left unopened.

How did your AME know to counsel you to report these visits?

Since the cat is out of the bag, how’re you going to answer your AME when he asks “whatever happened with those therapy sessions you told me about?

Here's the relevant AME guidance (posted in a recent thread on reporting dental visits):

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...d FAA,for psychiatric evaluation or treatment

"The applicant should list visits for counseling only if related to a personal substance abuse or psychiatric condition."

Sounds to me like you're simply receiving counseling and, since you haven't been diagnosed with a psychiatric condition (and presumably this isn't substance-abuse related), those visits may not be reportable per this guidance.

No advice other than rereading the guide on what types of visits need to be reported. You can also call AOPA or @bbchien for advice.

...or psychiatric condition

What is that supposed to mean? Heck, “normal” is a “psychiatric condition.” And I’m pretty sure that pre-marital counseling is evidence of a psychiatric condition, too....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back