Visit to the FSDO

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Yesterday morning I thought it would be a good idea to fly down and visit the FSDO. This wasn't exactly spontaneous, as it was for my CFI checkride. The short version: I'm not a CFI yet, but I didn't fail (letter of discontinuance). Here's the story...

When you're doing a regular CFI check ride and you have to shoot an ILS into the airport where your local FSDO is, that might be an indication that you're not going to fly that day. Especially when you shoot the ILS down to 600 AGL to get there. But I had already taken the day off work, and I figured that if I didn't go, the weather would surely improve to the point where we could fly. Plus, we could get the oral out of the way.

The FAA examiner was a nice guy, and did give me every opportunity to fix the things I got wrong. We started off with him saying "I hate taking check rides, and I have to take 6 of them per year. So, I know what it's like sitting where you are, and I know it's not fun. It is, however, part of the game if you're going to fly." That was a good start. We then went over paperwork and my logbook, talked about some of my experience and flying background (as well as his), and then dove into the questioning part of it. The questioning part was pretty much him shooting questions off to me one after the other, and he stated at the beginning that he didn't want me looking things up, it was expected to be off the top of my head unless he asked otherwise. What surprised me was how most of the test was on my rote memorization skills, rather than any sort of understanding, application, and correlations of the concepts. In FOI training, rote memorization is considered the lowest level of learning. Unfortunately, rote memorization is not my strong suit, but understanding and application is.

I gave him a lesson on lazy eights. This is another area I have problems with. Give me someone who actually doesn't know something and I have no issues teaching. Give me someone who I know knows more about this stuff than I likely ever will, and it's virtually impossible for me to treat that person the same. I guess I just don't have enough of an imagination. The other issue is that for me to teach someone like that seems too much like talking down to that person, which I would see as disrespectful to someone who obviously knows far more than I do.

I've gone into every checkride feeling prepared, but convinced I was going to fail. So far, this is the fifth time (out of five) that I was wrong. I really, really hate check rides since it's an opportunity for someone in a position of authority to tell me I'm no good at something that I actually care about. Sure enough, I passed the oral. The weather taunted us, but overall didn't want to cooperate. He made the decision that we weren't going to fly, and it was the right one. While we could have gone out, we wouldn't have had sufficient altitude to do stalls and spins (he's assured me we'll go out and do spins, which is fine by me - I think they're fun). I was issued a letter of discontinuance stating that I had satisfactorily (FAA official term) passed the oral portion of the check ride, and now have 60 days to complete the remaining portions. We scheduled a return date at our first available time (which happened to be several weeks off, unfortunately), and I'll be flying back down then, and hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I filed my flight plan home and flew the 172 back to Williamsport, shooting my second ILS of the day (although this one was only down to 1500 AGL).

Obviously it's disappointing when you can't complete a lesson or checkride as hoped. The reality is that in five check rides over about 15 months, this is the first time that the weather has said "No" to me. That's not such a bad thing.

The CFI ride is, to date, the most draining test I've taken. The FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam I took towards the end of college was pretty draining, as were my instrument and multi check rides (the multi being effectively my private and instrument rides with a failed engine the whole time). I went home and relaxed on the couch for a few hours, spent a bit of time mowing the lawn, and then watched a movie. It should be hard, you have a great responsibility if you pass. One thing I've learned, though, is that when you take your driver's test (at least in New York City), the examiner wants to fail you. When you take your flying tests, the examiner wants to pass you. So, the odds are in your favor. You just have to do your part and show that you meet what's expected of you.

I've got a packed schedule over the next few weeks (I'll spend maybe a total of 24 hours at my house between now and August 11th), so I'll spend some time studying for the practical coming up. Once that's done, it'll be time for MEI and CFII.

Ted,

I'm starting to think the FAA has some sort of rule not allowing Orals and flight tests on the same day!

I didn't have to do any spins with my examiner, even though I had an A36 and a C172 available for the test (and he made me fly both).

Hey congrats. I wasn't even aware you were this far into your CFI. Although I was wondering why you had posted something on flying a 172 on facebook the other day.

How are you planning to do the complex part of the practical test with a 172? Or is it a 172RG? And if it is a 172RG, how will the examiner have you do spins?

I'm borrowing my instructor's Comanche 180 for the complex portion of the ride. I flew down in the 172 since that's what we were going to start with anyway, and that's what most of the ride will be in.

I was wondering if you even went yesterday. Now I don't have to keep my mouth shut any longer :D

Well, kind of congrats?

You'll nail the practical. Hell, you've done more flying in the last year than most airline pilots do. heh.

Well, kind of congrats?

You'll nail the practical. Hell, you've done more flying in the last year than most airline pilots do. heh.
I agree that he'll probably nail the practical, but the amount he's been flying lately isn't the reason. The ride is about teaching how to fly, not being a good stick yourself.

Give me someone who actually doesn't know something and I have no issues teaching. Give me someone who I know knows more about this stuff than I likely ever will, and it's virtually impossible for me to treat that person the same. I guess I just don't have enough of an imagination.
I can relate to that. It's an area I have had to work on myself. I guess I don't have much of an imagination either.

Great job Ted!
Now go knock the flying part out next!

Awesome, Ted! You're kicking my butt by a mile!!

I'm looking forward to you getting your MEI. You know I've always wanted to spend a week of intense flying in eastern PA. ;)

Ted, put your ego in a box. Then, assume the examiner just doesn't have one and treat him just like you would a student. Don't worry about his level of knowledge or yours. For all you know you could wind up teaching him something after all. This is what is expected of you, the guy won't be offended if you do the job.

Awesome, Ted! You're kicking my butt by a mile!!

I'm looking forward to you getting your MEI. You know I've always wanted to spend a week of intense flying in eastern PA. ;)

My intention is to get the CFII and MEI shortly after getting the initial CFI. I've actually got more people interested in those than in primary training. Once I get the MEI, I'd be glad to introduce you to the wonderful world of planes with 2x the fuel burn and 4x the ownership costs. ;)

The CFI ride is, to date, the most draining test I've taken. The FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam I took towards the end of college was pretty draining, as were my instrument and multi check rides (the multi being effectively my private and instrument rides with a failed engine the whole time). I went home and relaxed on the couch for a few hours, spent a bit of time mowing the lawn, and then watched a movie. It should be hard, you have a great responsibility if you pass.

If your CFI ride is worse than the FE, you have successfully talked me out of ever wanting to be an instructor. I don't know that I have experienced much worse than that. My condolences

My intention is to get the CFII and MEI shortly after getting the initial CFI. I've actually got more people interested in those than in primary training. Once I get the MEI, I'd be glad to introduce you to the wonderful world of planes with 2x the fuel burn and 4x the ownership costs. ;)
Ted, I think even though you are getting to have a good bit of time in the Aztec, it's best to start off CFI-ing with substantial SE experience in teaching. Teaching is a whole new ball of wax. :yikes:

BTDT.

If your CFI ride is worse than the FE, you have successfully talked me out of ever wanting to be an instructor. I don't know that I have experienced much worse than that. My condolences

They make it difficult for good reason. I'll be happy once it's over, but the biggest thing I get out of this is not to let it lapse, and make sure I renew it on time. I don't want to go through this again to renew it.

Ted, I think even though you are getting to have a good bit of time in the Aztec, it's best to start off CFI-ing with substantial SE experience in teaching. Teaching is a whole new ball of wax. :yikes:

BTDT.

I'm figuring on starting off that way, but I'd still like to get the ratings done while I'm in the mode of doing so. I've got a few people who need some good single engine training. Right now I have 125 hours in the Aztec. While I'm very comfortable flying it myself (left seat), I need some more MEL time before I'd feel comfortable teaching multi. Especially more right seat MEL time. Getting to fly my friend's Travel Air for a bit yesterday (right seat) was some good practice on that.

I'm figuring on starting off that way, but I'd still like to get the ratings done while I'm in the mode of doing so.

I can second the "in the mode" desire.

I'm preparing for the CFII now.

While I'm glad I waited -- flying on the gauges and reaching for things and not getting disoriented is easier now that I feel as comfortable in the right as in the left -- but it took a bit of kick-in-the-pants to get back into test-prep mode, while it was just part of life before.

Exactly. Right now I'm very much in the test prep mode, so to me it makes more sense to get those done. I'll use the ratings as appropriate once I get more experience.

It also depends on who the "student" is. If I'm flying a friend who I know and trust as a pilot and who has a lot of experience, especially IFR and multi, it's a different scenario than if I'm flying with someone who's unknown and has little experience. Common sense.

It also depends on who the "student" is. If I'm flying a friend who I know and trust as a pilot and who has a lot of experience, especially IFR and multi, it's a different scenario than if I'm flying with someone who's unknown and has little experience.

Yeah... though a couple of longtime, high time CFIs I trained with (one over 10k, lots of aerobatic time, turbine, etc) told me the same thing: "Don't trust your life to anyone."

Larry's advice was heartfelt, as he was good friends with Elaine Heston (she also had many, many hours) who died while doing a BFR in a Mooney.

Hmmmm, I took a SouthWest flight the other day and slept in the back. Guess I better contact them and tell them they owe me a couple of hours of Captain pay......:rolleyes:

If your rated and current for that aircraft, and they had a problem, and you were senior on board, and yet you failed to provide any assistance, would you be liable?

If your rated and current for that aircraft, and they had a problem, and you were senior on board, and yet you failed to provide any assistance, would you be liable?

What if I were, but the FAs had served me 3 Jack & Cokes? What then?

Trapper John

Either way you'd be in court, wouldn't you?

I demand a change of venue!

whois.jpg

Trapper John

FWIW, if you're an ATP sleeping in the back, you may be PIC -- See Admin v. McCartney and Admin. V. Fleishman
Those really don't apply to every case. You can't just blanket them across. In Fleishman the man's story just did not make sense. Fleischman said some guy named "George" was flying it. "George" also had a friend with him. He doesn't know George's last name and he doesn't know if George even had a pilot certificate. No one else knew who this "George" was. I can't say I know many people that let two complete strangers fly around their 210 without asking them a single question or knowing their names.

McCartney really can't be blanketed across ever case either. The guy was trying to weasel out of being responsible by saying that his pilot's certificate was no longer valid.

In Administrator Vs. Angell (sound familar) -- the NTSB came down on the pilot that was most likely flying...even though there were two pilots that were rated in the airplane.
http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/o_n_o/docs/AVIATION/3683.PDF
http://jesseangell.com/forums/drunk.html

Basically -- you're going to have to prove you were not PIC if the **** hits the fan. Some situations make it easy to prove (I don't work for that airline. I was not a pilot on the flight. I was sleeping back in coach the entire time) where other situations make it more difficult, like you owning the airplane and being inside the airplane when the violation occured. I can't say I'm a huge fan of having to prove you're innocent..but that is how it is.

Basically -- you're going to have to prove you were not PIC if the **** hits the fan. Some situations make it easy to prove (I don't work for that airline. I was not a pilot on the flight. I was sleeping back in coach the entire time) where other situations make it more difficult, like you owning the airplane and being inside the airplane when the violation occured. I can't say I'm a huge fan of having to prove you're innocent..but that is how it is.

The two cases I mentioned are examples.

Case law can be overturned or superceded, but such cases -- including Angell -- show that the burden is on the senior pilot on board to prove innocence.

The two cases I mentioned are examples.

Case law can be overturned or superceded, but such cases -- including Angell -- show that the burden is on the senior pilot on board to prove innocence.
It didn't help matters that the other pilot was unable to stand and had puked all over himself. Plus the "gesture" given to the police officers during shutdown by my father didn't help matters either.

Interestingly enough--they arrested my dad that night and let the other guy go. They came up with a whole big list of criminal charges -- all of which were dropped. Mostly because they didn't arrest that other pilot.

Of course, the NTSB/FAA was having none of that and pulled the certificate.

Back