Vision Exam

U

Unregistered

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the steps / tests the AME typically does for a 3rd class medical's vision exam?

I understand there is an acuity test, colorblindness test, and confrontation visual field test. Is there anything else typically done?

Thanks

Last edited:
Unreg; for the color blindness test, typically the Ishihara Plates are used.

But be aware that there are ways that the staff will unintentionally stack the deck against your success. The primary one being is making you do the test under office fluorescent lighting.

The tests were designed to be done in normal sunlight. Office lighting isn't sunlight (duh!) and can have it's own color that will throw off the test. So if you don't do well on the plates, remind them this is for use in sunlight and ask to do the test outdoors. or near a window where the sunlight will "overwhelm" the office light.

The other way is that the plates are very old and have faded. IIRC correctly, Dr. Bruce Chien mentioned these books are expensive to replace, and with active AME's, get lots of use. And if they are the lower cost version, the ink and paper deteriorates faster than the higher quality version.

So if you don't do well on the color tests, ask the AME if you can be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist and have his report be included in your record.

As far as acuity, my AME had the "Large E" poster on the wall. I typically just did the Space Cowboy's thing and memorized it. LEFODPCT is the 20/15 line.

Last edited:
Other eye exam things can happen based on other conditions. For example, high blood pressure or diabetes that are not in total control have long term detrimental effects on your retina.

If this applies to the airman, then an exam and report from the Ophthalmologist will be needed to document that the airman meets to standard.

If you have vision issues in all three focal lengths (close, medium, far), bring every pair of glasses that you own. You can swap them out as needed during any of the tests.

I've also had this test, although not at all AMEs.

attachment.php

AMEs must have some leeway in the tests they give. I've had far vision tests using a series of letters, a series of Es which point in different directions, and a series of Cs which also point in different directions. For those tests you need to be able to identify which direction the open part of the E or C is pointing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 10.23.26 .png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 10.23.26 .png
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,867
er, hmmm,.....

"... a musical staff with a white arrow will ..."

Uh Doc?
I see a Black Arrow, but can't find a White one. uh?

"So, how are the eyeballs doing? Still spotting most traffic? Reading glasses all the time or just at night?"

Oh, wait, you said third class, that was for my second class. :yesnod:

Thanks everyone, is there an ophthalmoscopic exam also?

I'm just curious how 'deep' the AME vision/eye exam is compared with that of a typical optometrists / ophthalmologists exam.

I'm just curious how 'deep' the AME vision/eye exam is compared with that of a typical optometrists / ophthalmologists exam.

Should be only what's in here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

Click on the "Distant Vision", "Near Vision", and "Color Vision" links to get to the "Examination Techniques"

Distant vision:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...am/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item50/et/

Near Vision:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...am/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item51/et/

Intermediate Vision (Not needed for Class 3):
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...am/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item51/et/

Color Vision:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...am/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item52/et/

---

There is no test like you'd get in the opto/ophtho checkup (no test for glaucoma, no staring into your eyeball, or any visual field type of thing, if that's what you are wondering about).

Is this the exam where the doc darkens the room, then looks into your eye with a lighted magnifying tool checking on your retina?

My AME will do this, but just a quick "is there anything major" check.

OP, reading between the lines.... you have some concerns about eye exam.... yes? Perhaps if you were more specific about why you're asking?

Think DMV, not Doctor. If there are problems, it can go more in depth, but typically it's quick. The difference is color vision.

Just came from my (very pretty) AME yesterday. Her assistant (also quite attractive) said that they were reamed by representatives of the FAA, who said they (the AME and her staff) weren't doing due diligence. Now, for my gout (which causes intense though not debilitating pain in my right big toe) I have to have a very lengthy letter from my doctor and a couple blood tests. The ironically funny part of this is said blood tests don't have to include anything about uric acid, the causative agent of gout.

I suspect thing safe going to get that much harder. I am one of the healthiest people I know, and I have to go through hoops to do this. I can't imagine who it is for everyone else.

Medical reform now.

About 10 years ago during a flight physical I did the eye chart thing. My AME, a woman, told me I should try her glasses. I thought it was odd and told her I didn't understand. She asked if I wanted to get my medical and if so I'd better try to read the chart again using her glasses. I've had a near vision glasses requirement ever since. I'm not required to wear them, just to have them available in the plane. There's nothing diagnostic about the vision test component of a flight physical. it's pass-fail.

Bring a slip from your regular eye doctor stating you're correctable to 20/20 and that you have nothing going on.

Bring a slip from your regular eye doctor stating you're correctable to 20/20 and that you have nothing going on.

Thanks, so I can have the complete eye exam done by my doctor prior to going to the AME and they won't perform any observation? I have no negative items to report for medical history. Thanks

Thanks, so I can have the complete eye exam done by my doctor prior to going to the AME and they won't perform any observation? I have no negative items to report for medical history. Thanks

I *think* you can have an ophthalmologist do an exam and fill out an FAA form that you can take to your AME and be able to skip his version of the same exam. I don't think FAA will accept a report from an opto, has to be an MD.

What I do: get a normal eye exam 4-6 weeks before I see the AME. If I need a new set of glasses, that gives me time to get used to them. If you are concerned about failing because of colorblindness, get your OWN eye-guy to test you first. Don't fail at the AME.

The eye exam at the AME is simple - read the chart at distance and at near, and ID some colors. If you are worried you'll fail at the AME, get tested by your own doc first.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back