Virus??

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
Both windows 7 computers on a home network started exhibiting some strange stuff. Slow downs, lock ups, etc. Prior to this both have been rock solid. Malware Bytes find nothing on either computer. Suggestions for a deeper look would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

Both windows 7 computers on a home network started exhibiting some strange stuff. Slow downs, lock ups, etc. Prior to this both have been rock solid. Malware Bytes find nothing on either computer. Suggestions for a deeper look would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

failing drive?

some drives (e.g., SSDs) can hit a wall when they starting running out of extra blocks to use in place of failed areas of the drive.

I’m wondering how two computers could have failing drives at the same time. I’m more suspicious of malware infection. Is everything backed up? Don’t know if Norton or Kapersky would be any better, but one might catch something the other would miss.

You could get a household service agreement with BestBuy, for a year, and have them check it out. I’ve gotten more than my money’s worth out of mine.

I have a Windows 7 laptop that ran VERY slow and would take many minutes after boot to where I could use it. Task Manager showed CPU and Drive at 100%. Found "C" drive properties had the "Index file contents" box checked. Unchecked and work OK for now.

Windows 7.

Could also be insufficient memory and hard drive with lots of memory swapping. Some of the current software and websites are out and out bloat ware.

I’m wondering how two computers could have failing drives at the same time....

a perfectly fair point. So, sure, suspecting something in the software is appropriate. However, bad luck is bad luck. Don't discount a hardware problem.

(yeah, I know, a software guy blames everything on the hardware and a hardware guy blames everything on the software...)

a perfectly fair point. So, sure, suspecting something in the software is appropriate. However, bad luck is bad luck. Don't discount a hardware problem.

(yeah, I know, a software guy blames everything on the hardware and a hardware guy blames everything on the software...)
I’m more software than hardware but I usually have a foot on each side of the fence.

Adlice Rogue Killer can identify the more sophisticated viruses.
Using Belarc Advisor can check health of disk drives and give a SMART reading. You are looking for a "Healthy" status else start shopping for a replacement drive.
Tweaking All in One Windows Repair is free and can repair computers when they have been trashed by Viruses.

Thought I'd report back. I found the "Virus". Good old Microsoft Defender. I had a belt and suspenders virus protection with Defender and Malwarebytes. Despite running Win 7 MS "upgraded" Defender which attacked our computers. Windows Explorer became unusable. Remove of Defender cleared everything up. I'll be damned it I'll upgrade from 7. Too much stuff won't run on 10. bah humbug.

Back