Virus Protection

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
Is there anything out there like Mozilla or other effective suppliers for virus and/or firewall protection? I've about had it with McAfee and Symantic. I could never get Norton Anti-Virus to run again after a computer crash and many unitstalls and re-installs and their technical support was no help. I just had a tiff with McAfee over a rebate. The rebate has to be claimed within 15 days of purchase using a receipt that they email to you. They emailed it to an old address that I had forgotten to change (my fault) however, I am still within the 30 day window to request a full refund. After several days of back an forth emails, the only way to claim my rebate is to get a refund and re-purchase. They can or will not waive the 15 day from purchase requirement even though I can achieve the same thing by going to more trouble (refund and re-purchase) and giving my self the opportunity to decide for another supplier.

Recommendations???

Antivirus: AVG or Kaspersky. I haven't used Kaspersky for years but remember it as being pretty good.

AVG has a Free Edition that you can use with some basic limitations.

Firewall: I'm not a big fan of software-based firewalls but if I had to choose one, it would be ZoneAlarm.

I had a similar problem with Norton/Symantec. I ended up manually removing all the Norton/Symantec crap from the registry (their online Q&A/support page has some instructions) and reinstalled. It's worked OK since. If there's any consolation/compensation, when you are forced to do that, the clock gets reset on your 1 year of updates. At least with the version before "product activation".

They ARE greedy, though.

Avast. Free for personal use.
http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

AVG is also good.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Do not feed the virus profiteers.

"This is a TOUGH ONE. We've seen HUNDREDS of variants already!"

Yeahbut, if you patch the system ONCE those hundreds and thousands and millions of variations also can't get in that way. Oh, wait. You want people to think they need to keep feeding you money so you can kill these things after they get in.

Last edited:
mikea said:
"This is a TOUGH ONE. We've seen HUNDREDS of variants already!"

Yeahbut, if you patch the system ONCE those hundreds and thousands and millions of variations also can't get in that way. Oh, wait. You want people to think they need to keep feeding you money so you can kill these things after they get in.
Notice how there is maybe one or two 'majors' per year...and how they always seem to come up when virus protection starts fading from the limelight of the media?

There were a number of rumors, many years ago, on how one particularly big name in the a/v field got his start by creating the very virus that he "found". Since they seem to have a hard time tracking some of these things down but easily find others, I often wonder where they're coming from.

Why does MS send 'updates' which include virus protection?
Do they feel some liability because the software is vulnerable? I just wondered why I am getting some 'free' and some with my avs which is paid for.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Why does MS send 'updates' which include virus protection?
Do they feel some liability because the software is vulnerable? I just wondered why I am getting some 'free' and some with my avs which is paid for.
MS doesn't send antivirus updates. They send updates that close the vulnerabilities that the virus exploits. You could still have the virus but not be infected. Kinda like a 'carrier'.

Brian Austin said:
MS doesn't send antivirus updates. They send updates that close the vulnerabilities that the virus exploits. You could still have the virus but not be infected. Kinda like a 'carrier'.

Since they bought Giant Software, Microsoft pushes out a free spyware scanner periodically with Windows system updates. It does a scan during the update process.

You can download the full former Giant spyware scanner from Microsoft for free.

Symantec & Co's nightmare is that Microsoft will bundle a spyware and virus scanner utility with Windows. The word is that Microsoft wants of a piece of that lucrative money train. Think anyone will notice that Microsoft wants to make money on their own problems? :rolleyes:

mikea said:
Since they bought Giant Software, Microsoft pushes out a free spyware scanner periodically with Windows system updates. It does a scan during the update process.

You can download the full former Giant spyware scanner from Microsoft for free.

Symantec & Co's nightmare is that Microsoft will bundle a spyware and virus scanner utility with Windows. The word is that Microsoft wants of a piece of that lucrative money train. Think anyone will notice that Microsoft wants to make money on their own problems? :rolleyes:
The MS spyware scanner is actually fairly effective...but it's not antivirus, it's anti-spyware. There is a difference.

Given the size and popularity of their OS, I suspect ANYONE sitting in that top seat would be having these issues, regardless if it's Microsoft or something fruitier. ;)

Back