Virus Alert!

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
I have received several messages since 11am today, entitled "summary". (Lower case s). The body of the message states that "The US has fired the first shot in the Iran War" and the attached file is "ReadMore.exe". The virus checker has identified this file as a bad guy but I don't know what virus is contained in the file.

All take the usual precautions!

-Skip

I have received several messages since 11am today, entitled "summary". (Lower case s). The body of the message states that "The US has fired the first shot in the Iran War" and the attached file is "ReadMore.exe". The virus checker has identified this file as a bad guy but I don't know what virus is contained in the file.

All take the usual precautions!

-Skip

Just an eternal rule in preventing virus infections... NEVER OPEN AN .EXE ATTACHMENT. Even in corporate settings, there is NO reason anyone should be sending executables as attachments.

I'd love to send an "executable" to the weasels that make and distribute these things ... a REAL "executable", if you get my drift. :(

Saw a couple of those slip through our antivirus and spam systems this morning.

Oddly enough - my outlook junk mail filter caught it.

That's right OUTLOOK caught it.

can I do Vba coding in thunderbird?

can I do Vba coding in thunderbird?

Can you do javascript coding with the thunderbird API in Outlook?

Can you use the thousands of Thunderbird Extensions in Outlook?

Can you expect a Piper wing to bolt onto a Cessna without severe modification?

Last edited:
Well I need it to interface EASILY with Access. If I can't it's crap.

Actually, Access is crap whether you can interface with it or not! :):rolleyes:

Only if you don't know what you're doing. It runs the #2 solder distributor in the country. I find those that say it sucks don't know how to use it properly.

Only if you don't know what you're doing. It runs the #2 solder distributor in the country. I find those that say it sucks don't know how to use it properly.

That's not something to brag about :D

Oddly enough - my outlook junk mail filter caught it.

That's right OUTLOOK caught it.

Yep. Outlook has a very sophisticated virus detection algorithm.

If EXTENSION==".exe" THEN VIRUS=TRUE

That's not something to brag about :D

Sorry, I should rephrase that. #1 in sales per employee. I can do more with Access than the $40,000 Not-So-Great-Plains can do.

Replace "properly" with "carefully" and I'll believe you.

Depends on what you're using it for, I guess. Looking at multi-user systems, where reliability and upteime are needed, it's not even in contention, as far as I am concerned. If you want a Microsoft product, MS SQL Server is alright. Mysql if you're adverse to commercial software. Oracle if you have $$$ and are willing to put up with the company. DB2 isn't too bad. But I think I'd take r:Base, FoxPro, or dBase over Access! (JK!)

10 years on the same database, no failures, no corruption, no downtime unless I choose to rework something, does everything I need it to. What's the problem?

10 years on the same database, no failures, no corruption, no downtime unless I choose to rework something, does everything I need it to. What's the problem?

One thing: can anyone support it but you?

Other than that; you pick the tool, you invest in it, you focus on pragmatic design, and you maintain good operational practices and strong software hygene. This is what matters.

Anything else, well, that's just bitter jilted people talking :)

Cheers,

-Andrew
reformed Microsoft hater

Although Access may work well for you there are way too many technical limitations that would prevent me from using it for well--anything. But then again I have a pretty solid understanding of SQL and programming interfaces for it.

The problem I have with access is that it is basically a file based database engine versus a server based database engine. This means that the integrity really is questionable for any mission critical application. Server based databases allow the benefits of integrity checking via a transaction log. If there is a problem or the request does not complete it will simply roll back to the previous data. If there is a problem with the request in Access it'll quite often hose something.

There is also no way that I've ever seen with Access to lock the database live for backups. The ability to back the system up when it's being used is pretty much non-existent. This is not acceptable to me AT ALL. I pull backups of our mission critical company databases on a HOURLY basis.

Access is practically unusable in a multi user environment because the query processing takes place locally. This means that large columns of the mdb file will be sent to the client machine for processing. There is also a lot of room here for corruption to occur.

Access has a 2 GB database limitation that is a deal killer for me. I have databases larger than 2 GB and I don't want to have to split these up and make sure that they don't hit that limitation..etc.

The Microsoft jet engine is also no longer in development. Bugs will be fixed--for I'm not sure how long but there won't be any new features. This means Access has a pretty weak future.

Access is good for personal use, just for yourself, it was never meant to be used in a multiuser business environment and Microsoft makes that very clear throughout their knowledge base articles.

Fixing corrupted Access databases is a good way to make some money. Lots of small companies that don't really know what they are doing put way too much critical data into it.

MySQL is free. It's damn solid--and I have a good understanding of it. There is no reason I would ever use Access nor would I ever allow any business application to use it.

All I can say Ed, is you must be an Access genius. I know I'm not one and I wouldn't ever put the effort into trying to become one. Lots of limitations and no benefit in my eyes.

Back