Virtual Tour of a Friday Lunch at Iola

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
There have been a few mentions of Iola, WI (Central County Airport, 68C) on this board. It's pictured on the front page of the Pilotcast web site. It was on the front cover of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine in August 2008. I'm lucky to be a stone's throw away from this place and love to go to the Friday lunches when I can. I've mentioned it in some blog posts.

There's a new Java applet on the Central County Flyers web site giving you a 360-degree look at the busy Friday lunch there on October 31, 2008. I was there that unseasonably warm day to witness the unusually large crowd. I'm not sure if the 50+ aircraft set a Friday record, but it might have.

Check it out!

http://netnet.net/~wjknjan/pan103108/

It's low-res, but it gives you an idea of what goes on at this little airport. You can see the diverse collection of airplanes outside and take a look inside the hangar.

The airport is covered in snow now, so my Iola flying season is pretty much done, but the lunches go year-round. In winter, people drive in or bring skiplanes.

Well, foo. Too far to drive, and no skis on the airplane. Have to try again in the spring.

Back