Virginia or West Virginia Backcountry strips?

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by RickHiebs, Oct 3, 2019.

1. RickHiebs

RickHiebs Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rick
    Hello all. Live in Manitoba, Canada and brand new to this website; looks informative, etc.
    My friend and I are looking forward to flying a bush plane (Bearhawk Patrol) down to the Virginia's in mid Oct to enjoy your beautiful fall color scenery. Hoping to find some backcountry private or public turf strips (or even just nice photogenic spots) we can land at, take a few pictures and carry on. We'd prefer hilly/valley or mountainous terrain but open to suggestions. Would also like a couple of spots to pitch a tent beside our plane for a night. I've been thru those parts on motorcycle some 35 years ago and looking forward to seeing it from the air.
    Thanks very much for your time and any help you may be able to provide.

2. Pugs

Pugs Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pugs
    One of our club members spoke glowingly of https://www.justplaneadventures.com in West Virginia - He went down there to do his tailwheel endorsement in their 1940 Taylorcraft BC-65.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    RickHiebs likes this.
  3. Dana

Dana Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    Newlon Field (I41) in WV is a nice grass strip by the Ohio River with a restaurant and campground on field. The campground is setup for RVs, but I camped under the wing on the other side of the field when I came through in my Starduster.

RickHiebs likes this.