Vip Tfr

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
What was going on with this TFR? One nm, 1,500 agl ceiling, must not be too much a very important person. I am not at all familiar with the area but it looks like this could be on a scenic VFR route. It looks like someone is getting their very own fishing TFR although 1,500 isn't much. What exactly does a 1,500 ceiling protect?

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/sect_print_5_0860.html

Richard said:
What was going on with this TFR? One nm, 1,500 agl ceiling, must not be too much a very important person. I am not at all familiar with the area but it looks like this could be on a scenic VFR route. It looks like someone is getting their very own fishing TFR although 1,500 isn't much. What exactly does a 1,500 ceiling protect?

Dick Cheney's house at St. Michaels, MD.

mgkdrgn said:
Somebodys ego.

Acyually, don't believe that the USSS is giving the protected one discretion to waive the TFR.

SCCutler said:
Acyually, don't believe that the USSS is giving the protected one discretion to waive the TFR.
Yeah, they do. John Kerry declined having a TFR during the campaign.

Y'all got it backwards -- it's to protect you, not Cheney. That TFR is sized based on the effective range of a shotgun.:D

mikea said:
Yeah, they do. John Kerry declined having a TFR during the campaign.
Candidates, as private citizens, can decline protection from the Secret Service. Kerry, as a Senator, didn't get SS protection. VP's have no choice.

Ron Levy said:
Y'all got it backwards -- it's to protect you, not Cheney. That TFR is sized based on the effective range of a shotgun.:D

Now THAT is funny! DUCK!!!

Jebert said:
Candidates, as private citizens, can decline protection from the Secret Service. Kerry, as a Senator, didn't get SS protection. VP's have no choice.
Did he decline SS protection entirely? I hadn't heard that.

Last edited:
Watch the TFRs at Jackson Hole or Vail when the VP goes there. It goes up at the airport for a couple hours then moves to where he stays then goes back to the airports. Can be real nightmare to figure out the times/places.

Interesting story. I was flying down to Albany, GA several months back and Cheney was IB in Air Force 2. I was scheduled to beat the TFR by 15 minutes or so, but AF2 ended up arriving early. So, I had to stay 3,000 above the field for 50 minutes while waiting for them to land and his motorcade depart the field.

As they were coming in, I positioned myself directly over AF2 and tracked them inbound on the final approach (making sure I stayed above the TFR altitude). Was a very cool view. Turned out Cheney was on a hunting trip down there. A week later, he was on another hunting trip that was a bit more publicized...

write-stuff said:
Interesting story. I was flying down to Albany, GA several months back and Cheney was IB in Air Force 2. I was scheduled to beat the TFR by 15 minutes or so, but AF2 ended up arriving early. So, I had to stay 3,000 above the field for 50 minutes while waiting for them to land and his motorcade depart the field.
Did they change the NOTAM to be immediate, or just refuse permission to land? How did they notify you? (I note that KABY is towered, as I'd expect.)

mikea said:
Did he decline SS protection entirely? I hadn't heard that.
I believe he declined only the TFR zones, not the Secret Service protection that is afforded candidates after the primaries.

gprellwitz said:
Did they change the NOTAM to be immediate, or just refuse permission to land? How did they notify you? (I note that KABY is towered, as I'd expect.)

I was a good boy and got a weather briefing prior to the flight and was alerted to the TFR then. The problem was, AF2 arrived ahead of schedule so they just slid the time forward and I missed beating it in by about 5 mins. I was alerted to this in flight by approach. I could have easily landed ahead of AF2, but they sterilize the airspace about 10 minutes in advance of its entry.

Now, if I'd come barreling in and simply called the tower, not knowing about the TFR, I'd have been in the deep dookey.

write-stuff said:
I was a good boy and got a weather briefing prior to the flight and was alerted to the TFR then. The problem was, AF2 arrived ahead of schedule so they just slid the time forward and I missed beating it in by about 5 mins. I was alerted to this in flight by approach. I could have easily landed ahead of AF2, but they sterilize the airspace about 10 minutes in advance of its entry.

Now, if I'd come barreling in and simply called the tower, not knowing about the TFR, I'd have been in the deep dookey.
But it sounds as if, had you been VFR and not using flight following, you'd have been legal because you had no way to know about the changed time? Oh, wait, they'd have probably gotten you for not monitoring Guard, where they probably made an announcement. If their VHF radios were working. :mad:

gprellwitz said:
But it sounds as if, had you been VFR and not using flight following, you'd have been legal because you had no way to know about the changed time?

Nope, it don't work that way. :no:

Back