Vinyl records

8-track anyone?

(Ducks and runs...)

Dad put a realistic under dash model in one car. When that one was traded in, the next one, a '78 model, had a factory in dash 8-track player!

8-track anyone?

(Ducks and runs...)

That's about the only "vintage" format I didn't get to play with growing up. We do have a reel-to-reel player with some old recordings of my uncle when he was a radio DJ in college (late 60's/early 70s). Amazing that all of the old equipment still works today, probably because it all weighs a ton and was overbuilt from a chassis standpoint. I think the Teac A-108 cassette player was the only one that ever went on the fritz.

8-track anyone?
When I was in high school a friend had one of the original car tape decks: the Muntz four-track. The tape cartridge sat on top, like so:

proxy-image

About 25 years ago I repaired one of these for a friend:

upload_2021-1-15_9-24-50.jpeg

You think your vinyl LP clicks and pops and hisses? Hah.

To own the music I buy I think. Better quality sound is up there in importance also.
All the music I listen to is digital these days. Often via Pandora. When I find something new on Pandora that I like, I go to amazon and buy it as mp3. As far as I'm aware, the stuff I buy on amazon, I own. Mp3's purchased from Amazon have a variable bit rate with a target of 256k. That's more than good enough for any equipment I'm going to play them on and any environment I'm going to listen to them in.

8-track anyone?

(Ducks and runs...)

Eight-track was at its tail end when I was in high school. Remember how they'd flip to the next track in the middle of a song? To this day I can hear those songs on FM radio and expect a break in the song for the track to change. My 8-track memories are ingrained in my brain.

How are LPs like a baby’s diaper!
You have to change them every 15 or 20 minutes.

This thread has reminded me of all of the downsides to records including mass amounts of storage and maintenance. So, I have given up the idea.

I did convert my paltry small amount (1 milk crate full) of CD's to FLAC format this weekend and will probably buy music that way. Some of you have way too many CD's! lol

There are a lot of individual songs I would like to have that I may not be able to get from preliminary research. Some will require buying the whole album in FLAC when I could just get the individual mp3 from Amazon. Still have choices to make, but less than I did before. Appreciate the opinions!

Eight-track was at its tail end when I was in high school. Remember how they'd flip to the next track in the middle of a song? To this day I can hear those songs on FM radio and expect a break in the song for the track to change. My 8-track memories are ingrained in my brain.

You aren't alone.

Back