Vintage electronic aviation calculators

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Here's the latest addition to my collection. Heathkit OC-1401. Works just fine but I'm going to have to replace the rechargeable batteries.

IMG_20190602_113636248.jpg

Not sure my thumb can fit on that screen for when I want to pinch-zoom. I'm impressed that it can get a WAAS signal through those unshielded wires, though.

Not sure my thumb can fit on that screen for when I want to pinch-zoom. I'm impressed that it can get a WAAS signal through those unshielded wires, though.

Not to worry, it comes with a paper sectional and one of these...

071641355477-2.jpg

Are the calculations even valid in this century? LOL I have never seen one of those. Is that the first electronic version to come out after the wheel?

Are the calculations even valid in this century? LOL I have never seen one of those. Is that the first electronic version to come out after the wheel?

IDK but this site says:

"If we trace back the Aircraft Navigation Computers back to their roots we locate two different approaches:
Simple models introduced around 1980 like the Jeppesen Sanderson avstar or the prostar based on scientific calculators and more complex products like the USMC HARRIER based on programmable calculators.

This OCW-1401 started already in the year 1978 a third approach: Powerful Navigation and nothing else! Later products like the Navtronic Explorer (1983) and the Jeppesen Sanderson Techstar (introduced 1992) continued these kind of products."

IDK but this site says:

"If we trace back the Aircraft Navigation Computers back to their roots we locate two different approaches:
Simple models introduced around 1980 like the Jeppesen Sanderson avstar or the prostar based on scientific calculators and more complex products like the USMC HARRIER based on programmable calculators.

This OCW-1401 started already in the year 1978 a third approach: Powerful Navigation and nothing else! Later products like the Navtronic Explorer (1983) and the Jeppesen Sanderson Techstar (introduced 1992) continued these kind of products."
Cool link. I still have a TI-59 someplace.

IIRC, there was a module you could drop into the back of a TI58 or TI59 that contained aviation programs. I think I still have my old 58 somewhere, but I never had the aviation module.

IIRC, there was a module you could drop into the back of a TI58 or TI59 that contained aviation programs. I think I still have my old 58 somewhere, but I never had the aviation module.

Actually, this is more likely what you are thinking for. From the same site:

In the year 1977 Bobby Schenk developed with the NAVI 2000 the first navigation computer based on the TI-58, a similar product was sold with the TI-58 Marine Navigation. Don't miss the later TI-78 used in the Boeing 767-200 Special Freighter.

The 'NAVIPROG 2000' module for the TI-58C calculator.
SSSM_SCHENK.jpg

Back