Vintage Aircraft and NextGen

joeparrilla

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeP
Hey Guys, not sure if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what the plan is for integrating vintage (or any non-electric aircraft with NextGen)?

Since ADS-B will be required, will any airplane without it be grounded? Would aircraft without an electrical system have to add a battery in order to accommodate this? Is there going to be some sort of loophole for certain airplanes?

What is the general idea regarding this issue, and how are owners of these aircraft going to meet the requirements?

The rules aren't too much different than the current transponder required rules. The places not having ADS-B is going to bar them, they are barred now.

(1) Class B and Class C airspace areas;

(2) Except as provided for in paragraph (e) of this section, within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in appendix D, section 1 to this part from the surface upward to 10,000 feet MSL;

(3) Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport upward to 10,000 feet MSL;

(4) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface; and

(5) Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.

Ah I see so the transponder rules are basically hitting the same demographic of aircraft. Thats cool. I thought the vintage guys were going to be hit harder by this. Now we just have to worry about installing this in all of the GA fleet....

Who's worried ? All it takes is money to fulfill the useless pipe dreams of FAA. :)

Hey Guys, not sure if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what the plan is for integrating vintage (or any non-electric aircraft with NextGen)?

Since ADS-B will be required, will any airplane without it be grounded? Would aircraft without an electrical system have to add a battery in order to accommodate this? Is there going to be some sort of loophole for certain airplanes?

What is the general idea regarding this issue, and how are owners of these aircraft going to meet the requirements?

I believe ADS-B is only one component of NextGen. Next gen will involve digital text messaging to the crew for routine clearances and FMS data downlinked direct to ATC.

I believe digital text messaging from cockpit to ground and vise versa (formerly envisioned as CPDLC) will can be a huge safety increase if implemented correctly. Voice clearances for altitude and freq are way too easy to get wrong.

Back